• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Old Watch Sunday (made before 1990)

Morning, Sekonda 3017 around 1970.

IMG_20210220_124148392(1)(1).thumb.jpg.67e08398e21d1b3b718a95ba4004d857.jpg

24b.thumb.jpg.d9a0c45922b615bddeebe1da41d57f2c.jpg

HAGD 

p.s. I took this earlier (you may notice I have had a round of 'strap-o-rama' since, and moved this Sekonda off the shark mesh).

IMG_20210220_110418886(1)(1)(1).thumb.jpg.741fa4aaa78326c5ecf041919cdb2825.jpg

I have some proper hands on the way for the Poljot top middle.

J

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5

8 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Seiko 7625-1994

Made January 1969.

75e2165f7a515cfe069f767e7310a547.jpg

A Sportmatic essentially. but the name was dropped for some reason...I guess they thought 'AUTOMATIC' was so much sexier :crazy5vh:

Have a great Sunday guys!

That reminded me of something.  Can't quite remember but I'm sure it will come to me...

Seiko-Kered-3.jpg

Curly script Kered.  These seem rarer than the other Kered logo style.  I assume they are earlier, and hence many have gone to the great watch graveyard in the sky.

Curly-script-Kered-2.jpg

• Like 11

Morning,

Today this Ross, bought with the notion of fettling it for our namesake son who for once had the good sense, and even better taste, to politely demur. Can’t say I blame him.

The 17j EB 8800 movement is signed for Trice Watch Inc., importers of NY who seemingly went bust in 1977. Trice was also a brand name belonging to Ferex SA in the early 1970s and may or may not have been connected, so just where Ross-branded watches fit in, I haven’t a clue. Yes, of course it’s rubbish, but still gets trotted out once a year like everything else.

Regards.

Ross Calendar v.2.jpg

Ross Calendar minus crystal v.2.jpg

Ross Calendar EB 8800 v.2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Eaglegale said:

That reminded me of something.  Can't quite remember but I'm sure it will come to me...

Seiko-Kered-3.jpg

Curly script Kered.  These seem rarer than the other Kered logo style.  I assume they are earlier, and hence many have gone to the great watch graveyard in the sky.

Curly-script-Kered-2.jpg

I guess it's a little like TV channels in the 1970's, the amount of colours offered by Henry Ford on his Model T, one style suited all. I still remember how Channel 4 arriving was a mind blowing event.

Back in the 1950's and 1960's if you offered a man in the street a 'lovely' Hublot Big Bang you would probably get chased down the street by people with pitchforks that had a roasty toasty bonfire waiting for you.

(Below) 1960's woodcut image of a Hublot Authorised Dealer being burned at the stake for selling watches that are not round, not EPG, and not less than 40mm.

00bayfield.jpg

(if you look really closely you can see that they made him wear the Hublot, and all the other guys are wearing Seiko, and Kered)

History Channel...if you're reading this I am open to offers :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

17 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I guess it's a little like TV channels in the 1970's, the amount of colours offered by Henry Ford on his Model T, one style suited all. I still remember how Channel 4 arriving was a mind blowing event.

Back in the 1950's and 1960's if you offered a man in the street a 'lovely' Hublot Big Bang you would probably get chased down the street by people with pitchforks that had a roasty toasty bonfire waiting for you.

(Below) 1960's woodcut image of a Hublot Authorised Dealer being burned at the stake for selling watches that are not round, not EPG, and not less than 40mm.

00bayfield.jpg

(if you look really closely you can see that they made him wear the Hublot, and all the other guys are wearing Seiko, and Kered)

History Channel...if you're reading this I am open to offers :biggrin:

Mine Kered is a Seiko Sportsmatic as well!  It's like the Austin and Morris Minis.  Same car, different badge.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eaglegale said:

Mine Kered is a Seiko Sportsmatic as well!  It's like the Austin and Morris Minis.  Same car, different badge.

Who could blame Kered for wanting a rock solid watch with their logo on the dial, there are plenty of modern watch companies doing a 'Dr Frankenstein' with watch parts, "I'll give you this leg if I can have that arm" so to speak.

The one that gets me is the Casio Duro/Marlin...Casio so well known for producing quartz watches...millions of them, and yet they use a Miyota movement in one of their 'iconic' watches.

• Like 2

Still enjoying the 1970s Mondaine with its very smooth FHF 90-5, discreetly branded on the rotor. The camera's picking up what looks like a trail of dust around the date window, which I hadn't seen before. Actually I think it's more likely to be a scuff, so I'll give it a rub with Polywatch later.

large.491441421_MondaineFHF90-5.jpg.2326f841c49a2552ebcbd79299f4ba50.jpg

large.444875437_FHF90-5AutoMondaine.jpg.b9dc8ea1a06facd7d8fb1fbec5fd809e.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I'm a new poster, but have been enjoying looking at the WRUW threads for some time as a lurker - I have serious horology-envy.  As a woman, I especially like the aesthetics and sizes of the vintage gents watches - from an era when women's watches were largely tiny sparkly cocktail watches.

I only said yesterday in the Vintage watch forum that I have a watch with horizontal hour batons and have seen very few others and lo and behold @Balaton1109 goes and posts another.  This is my recently inherited Villard (and the Medana I was asking about, which I really like, but it isn't working well - it worked for about 5 hours yesterday, but won't go at all today).

watches2_0443df.jpg)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

That is such a classy looking watch, there's no denying that 1960's / 1970's Seiko's were effortlessly stylish.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you , they are very classy looking watches and still very much in "fashion" today as they was then . They seem to have become very popular again , especially on ebay and can still be had at very reasonable prices . Thanks again :thumbsup:

• Like 1