• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Watch gang

Lee73

It's not for me, I like to know what watch i'm buying not be sent some unknown watch I may or may not like, most of the watches I've seen sent from watchgang on Youtube I would never have wanted to buy anyway, plus although there may be an odd bargains, most of the watches are from brands that get their watches made in China and then saddle them with ridiculous RRPs, so when you get one on watchgang (or heavily discounted from some other retailer like TV Shopping Channels etc) at some cheap tier subscription it appears you've been sent a a bargain, when in truth you haven't.

It would take all the joy out of watch collecting, hunting after watches you like, at a price you can afford etc etc.

Edited by Graham60

I’ve heard good and bad reviews. The problem I have is that add up the cost over 12 months and you could get a few really nice pieces for the same price as 12 crappy ones. Even the base level at £50 a month...that’s £600 a year....

....maybe I’m being a killjoy but I’m wary of these schemes....they don’t set up these things to lose money, so either they get watches incredibly cheaply or send you mainly rubbish with a couple of decent watches 

This is a review (done by the watch gang so it’s going to be biased) and I’ve only ever heard of 3 brands out of the 12....see if you can google the pieces and work out the costs if you bought them individually 

https://try.watchgang.com/everyday-style/12-month-report-on-watch-gang-v2/

Here’s a balanced review from Scottish Watches....worth a read 

http://www.scottishwatches.co.uk/2019/05/26/article-watch-gang-a-cautionary-tale/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Its a bit of fun I guess for those with some free disposable who like a "surprise"  

Sort of like downing six cans of super lager and shouting abuse at some large men with bald heads and tattoo's. 

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...

For my birthday at the start of the month my sister bought me a "spin of the mystery wheel". It was a lovely idea (although I dread to think what it cost, relative to what it was worth).

Needless to say, I did NOT win an Omega, as this arrived for me today (this is my EBay advert to get it gone!)

Edited by JoT
No items must be offered for sale or trade in the discussion forums.

6 hours ago, Bricey said:

For my birthday at the start of the month my sister bought me a "spin of the mystery wheel". It was a lovely idea (although I dread to think what it cost, relative to what it was worth).

Needless to say, I did NOT win an Omega, as this arrived for me today (this is my EBay advert to get it gone!)

You should advertise that one on here mate, and save yourself the ebay seller's fee.

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

You should advertise that one on here mate, and save yourself the ebay seller's fee.

If anyone on here wants it, they are welcome to make me an offer. I'll split the proceeds 50:50 with the board owner to go towards running the site. 

13 minutes ago, Bricey said:

If anyone on here wants it, they are welcome to make me an offer. I'll split the proceeds 50:50 with the board owner to go towards running the site. 

Here's the place to advertise if you are doing it as a fundraiser

https://thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/forum/44-competitions-fund-raisers-giveaways/ 

You can make a post to link to it from this thread

Or if you are doing 50:50 then use the Classified section and make it clear in the advert it's a 50:50

https://thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/classifieds/ 

But don't make a link to it from this thread as per forum rules No items must be offered for sale or trade in the discussion forums.

• Like 1

Just had an email that they have a "Grail Wheel" for $1,040 (about £750)

For those that don't know, it is like wheel of fortune, but you have slots on the wheel for different levels, picking 3 level 1 watches, 2 level 2 watches, etc up to 1 Grail watch (that you are realistically unlikely to be the 1 in 000's that get lucky.

However, on this £750 wheel, the level 1, 2 and 3 watches include Armand Nicolet watches, which are probably genuinely worth more than the entry, so if you were considering an AN, then this gives you the chance to have one as the bottom prize at £750, with a couple of Rolex, Omega, even a Panerai, Cartier, Tudor, Hublot as the long shots.

https://www.watchgang.com/members/wheel/GRAIL

Well out of my take a punt price, but thought it might appeal to the boards high rollers.

(Ps. You can select the same watch for all of your options in a given level, you do not have to pick 3 different watches for level one)

You could put 3 x J09-3 as your level one

2 x M02-4 on level two

Another M02-4 on level three

Cartier, DateJust, GS, Tudor or Breitling on level four

And a Sea dweller or Daytona for your grail level

The AN is worth the £750 and if you score higher up your quids in?

There's only one real winner, that's Watch Gang Inc. 

Masquerading as a club when in reality it is a for-profit business

https://www.inc.com/annabel-acton/how-a-watch-subscription-startup-made-15-million-in-its-first-year.html

And then there is this from the FAQ - We do not offer refunds or accept returns for a watch you don't like

And this - Often, they [small brands] are unable to scale to meet demand, so in these instances, Watch Gang will help them achieve economies of scale by assuming manufacturing responsibilities (from an interview with an entrepreneurs newsletter)

and from the same interview:

Bigger brands like Fossil even partner with Watch Gang as a way to acquire user data to inform the design of future collections.

They worked on creating a "community" through groups only available to "members" and focussed on communicating "value" 

Then as a UK member add 20% VAT

Nope not for me

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm reminded of those travelling " auctions" that were popular a few years ago, they mostly set up their pitch in local town centre hotels, conference rooms and so on. You know the ones, Rolex Daytonas for £150 and Gucci handbags for £75, Big spread in the local rag for a weeks before. When you get there all they have is a load of cheap tat. 

Years ago Big M was determined to go to a local one and banged on about it for a week.

As I said a fool and her money

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

37 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

I'm reminded of those travelling " auctions" that were popular a few years ago, they mostly set up their pitch in local town centre hotels, conference rooms and so on. You know the ones, Rolex Daytonas for £150 and Gucci handbags for £75, Big spread in the local rag for a weeks before. When you get there all they have is a load of cheap tat. 

Years ago Big M was determined to go to a local one and banged on about it for a week.

As I said a fool and her money

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

What did she get? The watch or the handbag? :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

I have a bag filled with £10 £20 & £50 notes.. in various amounts. 

If you give me £35.. I promise I will pick a note out at random from the bag and then buy you something from amazon at the value of your note.. 

You will be AMAZED at what you recieve!! 

Edited by SolaVeritate
I promise that a % of profits will go towards a winning member who will recieve something cool

19 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

I have a bag filled with £10 £20 & £50 notes.. in various amounts. 

If you give me £35.. I promise I will pick a note out at random from the bag and then buy you something from amazon at the value of your note.. 

You will be AMAZED at what you recieve!! 

BTW.  If anyone is confused..

THAT is a parody of what happens in the "watch gang"

If you are daft enough to try it, I seriously hope you are lucky.

Your better off playing the lottery.

Cross your fingers.