• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Omega SMP.

Good morning. Pelagos LHD today.

Oh well it is Tuesday after all... 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Wowbagger said:

yxckizXvlGerfrRownxQLbZT9TFUJQGMHj2-wnxv

I've been playing with a friend's old Smiths Sectric art deco clock which belonged to her parents. It's probably older than she is, dating from the 1930s or '40s (she's a 1947 baby). It had clearly suffered a heavy blow at one time and I had to Araldite the inside of the case back together. I bought 4 metres of bronze cloth-covered flex from the Art Deco emporium online and started it up this morning. I can't be bothered to put it right yet - I'll leave it there telling the wrong time until I take it round to my pal's place tomorrow.

I have some considerable affection for clocks of this type - when I was a child in the 1950s and 60s my parents had an almost identical clock - the only difference being that ours was very dark brown. They can be gits to get started, being a synchronous motor without self-starter*, but keep very good time once started, being based on the 50 Hertzes that arrive every second from the National Grid.

*I have no idea what I'm talking about here, but was given this piece of information by another friend who is my go-to techy for all issues technical - she knows everything there is to know that's worth knowing.

Incidentally, I think the design of that Pulsar is very poor and I don't often wear it. I find the hands just don't stand out from the dark face. I'm back with one of my favourites. 

Dgc_6W_2rrTsxOZMVorEn5gtIDfB8TeB5P7rHQ8h

• Like 12

Can a girl join in?  My watch collection is nowhere near the calibre of the pieces I see posted and really enjoy looking at here.  Neither is my arm hair, I really can't compete with the hirsuteness.  My 'good' watches are out of action as they need new batteries, but while I wait to get that sorted, I've been tinkering with vintage watches and automatics, to see how I feel about investing in such a piece as a memento, from things I've inherited, but sold - I can't keep everything.  My current favourite idea is a vintage Oris automatic with a date pointer, or a dress Omega from the 60s.  The trick is going to be finding something the right case size, I want about 28-32mm - this one is 30mm.

This is a very inexpensively bought Seiko Hi-Beat from 1976 (I think) and has a 2205 caliber movement, which I understand was used in the lady divers in the 70s.  This 'fashion' version seems quite unusual, I've only seen the odd other ones like it - mainly one with the black stripe continuing in red over the face.  The rigid bracelet is deceptively comfortable (hinged at the case), it just sits there nicely and stops the watch from moving much, the back half is standard Seiko 5 style SS links.

Seiko1976Automatic_sm.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, BooJewels said:

Can a girl join in?  My watch collection is nowhere near the calibre of the pieces I see posted and really enjoy looking at here.  Neither is my arm hair, I really can't compete with the hirsuteness.  My 'good' watches are out of action as they need new batteries, but while I wait to get that sorted, I've been tinkering with vintage watches and automatics, to see how I feel about investing in such a piece as a memento, from things I've inherited, but sold - I can't keep everything.  My current favourite idea is a vintage Oris automatic with a date pointer, or a dress Omega from the 60s.  The trick is going to be finding something the right case size, I want about 28-32mm - this one is 30mm.

This is a very inexpensively bought Seiko Hi-Beat from 1976 (I think) and has a 2205 caliber movement, which I understand was used in the lady divers in the 70s.  This 'fashion' version seems quite unusual, I've only seen the odd other ones like it - mainly one with the black stripe continuing in red over the face.  The rigid bracelet is deceptively comfortable (hinged at the case), it just sits there nicely and stops the watch from moving much, the back half is standard Seiko 5 style SS links.

Smart. 2205 is a really nice movement, mostly reserved for the ladies watches.

Being a lady and into watches, particularly those which are smaller and not as in vogue as larger watches of today has its benefits. Peanuts need to be spent in when comparing to similar mens' watches of the time.

The trick is going to be finding something the right case size, I want about 28-32mm - this one is 30mm.

Worth remembering many men's vintage watches were this size. My wife particularly likes vintage American art deco watches, and this 1930's Omega men's watch measures around 31mm.

1938omega.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

That’s a lovely time piece.. and a very smart bracelet :yes:

Thank you for the replies.  @al_kaholik - indeed, I've been watching a number of sales on-line and labels like Armani and Fossil seem to get a lot of interest, but marques like Seiko don't seem to attract the same level of interest.  Which suits me just fine.  I've read a lot of good things about the 2205 - there's a lot squished into a small area.  I'm not sure the auto winder is working properly on this one - but if manually wound and worn, it seems to keep good time - if I take it off and leave it running, it loses more.  I've bought 3 Seiko autos recently and they all seem to be happier for wearing and the more I wear them, the more efficient they get at keeping time.  I think they've all been unworn for a while, so seem to benefit from seeing some action again.  I can't say that I blame them.

@WRENCH - that's what I'm hoping.  I originally set my sights on a dress Omega from the 60s as it looked like I could get an elegant gents dress watch at the right size and hopefully in the right ball park price-wise.  Unfortunately my tastes are rather more expensive than my budget.  I want something for 'best', not an every day watch, for this one.  Which means that I'll fall in love with something entirely different probably.  I'll know when I see it.  I rather like square or rectangular watches too and don't have one just now.

@Sulie - thank you - the bracelet is very cleverly shaped - being hinged at the case, it adapts to the curve of your wrist wherever you wear it - I can push it up my arm and it still follows the contours well.  I like it rather more than I expected to.

• Like 1