UK Watch Forum banner

GS v Omega v Rolex

5K views 88 replies 43 participants last post by  Stan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#32 ·
If I had never owned a Rolex or an Omega then the GS wouldn't get a look in.

I am currently shopping for a GS! (37mm, bracelet, black dial, automatic - Mmmm)
I have found one now, and opted for new in the end. £300 more than a three year old watch, and with a 3 year warranty made it a no brainer. Won't be here for a few weeks but I would be waiting longer for the Rolex I'm guessing

#10 ·
I've just bought a new one of these so I'm a bit biased for a change :whistling: :

Image result for SBGA373
WOW ,,,, I have been mooching around that watch on and off for a few weeks now ...

Questions Roy :

1. What colour dial would you say that is ? [ I have heard it described many ways ]

2. The bracelet looks a bit basic , but I am assuming not. What are your thoughts on the Bracelet quality for the price ?

3. Is the crystal domed or fairly flat ?

4. What sort of discounts do you reckon are achievable generally with GS if one shops around a bit !?

#11 ·
Definitely the Rolex, simply on the basis that it will keep its value if sold on or part exchanged. I have just part exchanged by 2012 Explorer II (for a new two-tone sub) and got pretty much what I paid for from a dealer last year :)

The Seiko is probably the best made and finished watch but people still associate Seiko with affordable Japanese watches, most people will have head of the Grand Seiko range, but will definitely of heard of Omega and Rolex as a brand.

#26 ·
The Seiko is probably the best made and finished watch but people still associate Seiko with affordable Japanese watches, most people will have head of the Grand Seiko range, but will definitely of heard of Omega and Rolex as a brand.
I would disagree about what `most people' know. Rolex is a very well known brand and since the more recent Bond films, Omega has gained a wider audience. Both brands can be seen in most high streets but GS is still a relatively unknown brand.

#19 ·
By pure coincidence , I have tried on all three of these , the Omega [ in white ] and the Rolex [ exact same watch ] at the same time and was offered the Rolex there and then , this was about this time last year ... The Rolex was stunning , but just not for me. The Omega was surprisingly stunning but something just did not grab me. I tried on the GS in the Autumn not looking to buy , just out of curiously , and it was ticking all the boxes except one , I didn't "need" it .... :laugh:

So I guess if it was me , I would go with the GS ...

#29 ·
I think the challenge is that GS is fast becoming the enthusiast's Rolex.

However if your mate is not a watch guy, only Rolex is going to have the presence they're looking for.
Refreshingly kudos does not come into it , he is minted but does not care less about image or presence etc etc .... The only reason he is out for a watch is because people like me have been in his ear for a few years :laugh: .... In fact, come to think of it, I only know one person pretty well who wears watches to impress others as well as himself.... pretty much all my mates don't seem sucked into the shallow stuff. Over the years I have been trying to convert my social matrix towards watch enthusiasm but failed miserably ... most own a "nice" watch , but just the one and seem to spend more time buying soft furnishings with their missus in their ear than anything else.

I would disagree about what `most people' know. Rolex is a very well known brand and since the more recent Bond films, Omega has gained a wider audience. Both brands can be seen in most high streets but GS is still a relatively unknown brand.
When I first mentioned "GS" , he thought I was on about over priced G-Shocks .... so you have something there ....

#23 ·
I would head down the Omega route. The movement does it for me, it is just exceptional, 14 pinion gear train, twin barrels, frictionless escapement, dont worry about the COSC +/- 2 sec's a day certified, this can do +/- 2 sec's a week!!! I hope Rolex are ashamed of telling George Daniels to push off............

#27 ·
Let him do the mistakes and have the journey in the horology.

To buy what aesthetically pleases him and to continue reading if the subject is really interesting for him.

Then he will find the right one for him. Or maybe he will not find it. It is experience I would go for again.

Rgds.

Dimi

#28 ·
Regardless of the brand your friend would be better of choosing a watch he really likes first and foremost. I do like most Omega watches I see, they seem to speak to me the most. I do like some Rolex models but I couldn't pay grey market prices for one and I wouldn't be prepared to go on a waiting list and attempt to sweet talk the AD into selling me one! Most Grand Seiko leave me cold to be honest, they just seem a little bland to my eyes, but saying that I am a big fan of the normal Seiko models! The not so grand Seikos!

#30 ·
Omega for me (but on a bracelet). robust, great dial, great warranty, brilliant movement with longer service intervals, brand recognition without being asked all the time if its real or fake (im looking at you rolex). Display caseback and great water resistance. just a cracking all round watch.

I wouldnt choose the GS...its possibly the best overall watch there in terms of case and dial finishing but the clasp sucks and its more of a watch nerds watch.

I wouldnt choose the rolex because for a first watch i think its boring, most people will think its fake etc etc.

Ironically having owned a few omegas now, im seriously thinking of adding an OP to my collection....but even as a watch guy, it wouldnt have been my first choice, rather a piece to compliment the rest of my pieces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.