• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

GS v Omega v Rolex

3 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Ditto ,,, I get Italian designer t-shirts that no one has ever heard of ... [ always in the sale mind , way too tight to pay full ticket ] ,, they look a bit Sainsburys/Next/George , but are not ... I get them because the weave is exceptional. I discovered the brand by accident at Napoli Airport a few years back ... The GS effect ,,, but on my back ... :thumbsup:

Which brand is that please JonnyOldBoy?

16 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Ditto ,,, I get Italian designer t-shirts that no one has ever heard of ... [ always in the sale mind , way too tight to pay full ticket ] ,, they look a bit Sainsburys/Next/George , but are not ... I get them because the weave is exceptional. I discovered the brand by accident at Napoli Airport a few years back ... The GS effect ,,, but on my back ... :thumbsup:

Lassalle was a disaster from the outset, buying a small Swiss watchmaker but not buying the rights to their ultrathin mechanical movements (which were sold to Piaget) was not a smart move, not to mention the garish designs! Credor was always primarily a domestic market brand and are still going (over 200 models I read) some of the minimalist models aren't too bad but a lot are pretty garish. I always got the feeling Seiko were trying to Europeanise their premium dress market range for the Japan market to compete against the Swiss, the original name gives it away  "Crêt D’or".

Some 40 to 50 years on from Credor / Crêt D’or and Lassalle launches I think they could leverage the "Japaneseness" (is that a word?) of Grand Seiko - would Rolex ever have Rolex and Grand Rolex or the Swatch Group have Omega and Grand Omega nope - Rolex have got Tudor and the Swatch Group have Omega and Longines/Tissot etc 

Not running down the watches I just think Grand Seiko could have better branding    

• Like 2

A lot of this waffle about branding perhaps comes down to what the wearer thinks of other peoples opinion of his or her watch. Since moi couldn't give a flying fig what anyone else thinks of my stuff GS can call themselves what ever they want as long as they make a decent product at a not too stupid price.

:laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

A lot of this waffle about branding perhaps comes down to what the wearer thinks of other peoples opinion of his or her watch. Since moi couldn't give a flying fig what anyone else thinks of my stuff GS can call themselves what ever they want as long as they make a decent product at a not too stupid price.

For us watch cognoscenti that may be true but we are in the minority, do GS want to sell more watches or not?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Aeronautica Militaire ... exceptional quality ... every November their Italian Website has a sale ... :thumbsup:

Thanks pal, I’ve a couple of Paul and Shark T-shirts (proper ones not Mike Ashley specials!) and they are fantastic quality, if I can find something similar I’ll be well chuffed!:thumbs_up:

Do they fit a bit small like a lot of Italian stuff tends to?

Edited by Bow

On 24/02/2021 at 15:47, Roy said:

I've just bought a new one of these so I'm a bit biased for a change :whistling:

Image result for SBGA373 

Enjoy it Roy, I've long admired the GS range and the Oyster Quart ( and the original Accutron ).  You need a GS Quartz to complete the set, unless you already have one?:biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bow said:

Thanks pal, I’ve a couple of Paul and Shark T-shirts (proper ones not Mike Ashley specials!) and they are fantastic quality, if I can find something similar I’ll be well chuffed!:thumbs_up:

Do they fit a bit small like a lot of Italian stuff tends to?

Yes , slightly so ... so I am L/XL in Uk stuff so defo XL in Aeronautica and it's a bit snug but its also part of the style etc etc ... :-)

1 hour ago, Bow said:

Thanks pal, I’ve a couple of Paul Smith

I have PS scarfs and bits and bobs... but the Aeronautica T-Shirts are better than his ... :-)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JoT said:

For us watch cognoscenti that may be true but we are in the minority, do GS want to sell more watches or not?

I think that the answer to that is, probably not. Unlike the mass-produced watches like Rolex, where production numbers are about a million a year, Grand Seiko's whole ethic is on a more hands-on approach and quality is the ultimate aim, rather than numbers, so they only make about 35,000 a year and aren't looking to turn Grand Seiko into a production line watch, that is what Seiko do.

Grand Seiko very much follow traditional Japanese design ethics and pride themselves on finish and excellence rather than the sort of attitudes we see with some other brands who are just concerned with sales volumes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JoT said:

Good question. They have the mass market product end already. I would have thought going down the veblan route of the same production numbers at a higher price would be the way to go. Bit like the rolex way of doing things - perfectly in good watches  sold for silly money because folks are daft enough to pay it, and it's not as if Rolex are rare. 

23 hours ago, JoT said:

Some 40 to 50 years on from Credor / Crêt D’or and Lassalle launches I think they could leverage the "Japaneseness" (is that a word?) of Grand Seiko - would Rolex ever have Rolex and Grand Rolex or the Swatch Group have Omega and Grand Omega nope - Rolex have got Tudor and the Swatch Group have Omega and Longines/Tissot etc 

Not running down the watches I just think Grand Seiko could have better branding    

Having worked for some Japanese companies, it's a very Japanese take on branding.

Don't forget the likes of Swatch's portfolio of brands were acquired over a period of time and their relative ranking, such as it is, doesn't necessary reflect historical status.  Post WW2 Longines had a stellar image and reputation for the finest of watches, far more upmarket, desirable and admired than Omega or Rolex...and GS didn't even exist of course.

22 hours ago, Rotundus said:

I don't pray at the alter of the brand either.

Nevertheless much of the huddled masses (and seemingly anyone with a Speedy :laugh:) use brands as shorthand for perceived success, or the modern social-media-driven scourge of fanboyism that has turned a Submariner simply into as tradable commodity. And as we all are well aware, brand, pricing and quality don't have a uniform linear relationship.

Have to say I do like the new 'birch' though :yes: (photos don't do it justice) with a new 47-Jewel, hi-beat (36k) movement delivering a stunning 80hrs power reserve...but it's £8.5k :huh: unfortunately for me.

th?id=OIP.k07EDoRIdRDO0gCRTFy6HAHaE7%26p

:sadwalk:

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Omega for me...the rolex holds too much prestige and in my head I know someone will be judging me especially since I'm still fairly young...plus I can't handle people asking me if it's real or not, personally I think that takes the joy out of wearing it, maybe when I'm a few more years older.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

On 24/02/2021 at 12:02, JonnyOldBoy said:

Have a mate who is buying his first ever "proper" watch and knows zero about watches.

I'm just trying to figure out why these are "proper" watches and if anyone can explain what an "improper" watch is. If it's fake/copy watches, I get it. If it's watches that don't cost as much as a second hand car.. then people need to have a think about it.

8 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

I'm just trying to figure out why these are "proper" watches and if anyone can explain what an "improper" watch is. If it's fake/copy watches, I get it. If it's watches that don't cost as much as a second hand car.. then people need to have a think about it.

There is nothing to figure out. It's why I put it in "quotes" ... Its a nonsense term, but its what he said presumably to mean ; watch-that-is-not-considered-disposable.

9 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

Think you're missing the nuance there - these aren't "proper watches", these are "first proper watches" - i.e. the "proper watch" you have to buy first for a dealer to consider you worthy for entry to the lengthy waiting list for an actual "Proper Watch"

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Think you're missing the nuance there - these aren't "proper watches", these are "first proper watches" - i.e. the "proper watch" you have to buy first for a dealer to consider you worthy for entry to the lengthy waiting list for an actual "Proper Watch"

I kind of look at the other way round, in that is a dealer worthy of me handing over the cash to. The ones that are stupid enough to be judgmental of "worthiness" probably lose a lot of sales. :laughing2dw:

11 hours ago, kendodsworth said:

The rolex holds too much prestige and in my head I know someone will be judging me especially since I'm still fairly young...plus I can't handle people asking me if it's real or not, personally I think that takes the joy out of wearing it, maybe when I'm a few more years older.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

I've worn one Rolex or another now for 20 odd years and this is a bit of an urban myth, in reality 99.9% of Joe Public won't care or notice and in my experience the odd person that does notice usually knows what they are looking at. 

As an example a while back I was in a local boozer and was getting a bit of attention from a bloke and his missus, turns out he was interested in my shorts and never even looked at my LV 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

@Bow

Stick with your Paul & Shark, I've bought loads of it over the years, quality kit, lasts forever and worth the extra couple of quid. 

:)

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

I've worn one Rolex or another now for 20 odd years and this is a bit of an urban myth, in reality 99.9% of Joe Public won't care or notice and in my experience the odd person that does notice usually knows what they are looking at. 

Exactly.

7 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

As an example a while back I was in a local boozer and was getting a bit of attention from a bloke and his missus, turns out he was interested in my shorts.

I kinda steer clear of those sort of establishments. 

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I kind of look at the other way round, in that is a dealer worthy of me handing over the cash to. The ones that are stupid enough to be judgmental of "worthiness" probably lose a lot of sales. :laughing2dw:

Guess it cuts both ways, as long as enough people are daft enough to participate in the ritual and hand over vast sums for their goods I'm sure they're not fussed what we think either.