• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Have a mate who is buying his first ever "proper" watch and knows zero about watches.

He has been seduced by this article ... Which would forum members choose ? If this was to purchase their first and only "proper" watch and the price was irrelevant 

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/three-in-house-automatics-from-leading-watchmakers

Edited by JonnyOldBoy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've just bought a new one of these so I'm a bit biased for a change :   

Did you mean "a Submariner is a quality bit of kit but I just can't get passed the thought that despite that it looks similar to a Steinhart one you can buy for a couple of hundred quid. "  

Grand Seiko for me.

Based purely on aesthetics, it would be the Rolex for me, simplicity of design and no date window. The GS would be second, closer perhaps if the bracelet had a "mono" finish rather than the brushed/polished finish. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Roy said:

I've just bought a new one of these so I'm a bit biased for a change :whistling:

Image result for SBGA373 

WOW ,,,, I have been mooching around that watch on and off for a few weeks now ...

Questions Roy :

1. What colour dial would you say that is ? [ I have heard it described many ways ]

2. The bracelet looks a bit basic , but I am assuming not. What are your thoughts on the Bracelet quality for the price ?

3. Is the crystal domed or fairly flat ?

4. What sort of discounts do you reckon are achievable generally with GS if one shops around a bit !?

Definitely the Rolex, simply on the basis that it will keep its value if sold on or part exchanged. I have just part exchanged by 2012 Explorer II (for a new two-tone sub) and got pretty much what I paid for from a dealer last year :)

The Seiko is probably the best made and finished watch but people still associate Seiko with affordable Japanese watches, most people will have head of the Grand Seiko range, but will definitely of heard of Omega and Rolex as a brand.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

WOW ,,,, I have been mooching around that watch on and off for a few weeks now ...

Questions Roy :

1. What colour dial would you say that is ? [ I have heard it described many ways ]

2. The bracelet looks a bit basic , but I am assuming not. What are your thoughts on the Bracelet quality for the price ?

3. Is the crystal domed or fairly flat ?

4. What sort of discounts do you reckon are achievable generally with GS if one shops around a bit !?

It will be here tomorrow. It's meant to be a champagne dial. Can answer the other questions when it arrives.
I'm sure the bracelet will be one of the best I've ever had but we will see.

Got it from www.watchesofmayfair.com

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread.

• Like 1

By pure coincidence , I have tried on all three of these , the Omega [ in white ] and the Rolex [ exact same watch ] at the same time and was offered the Rolex there and then , this was about this time last year ... The Rolex was stunning , but just not for me. The Omega was surprisingly stunning but something just did not grab me. I tried on the GS in the Autumn not looking to buy , just out of curiously , and it was ticking all the boxes except one , I didn't "need" it .... :laugh:

So I guess if it was me , I would go with the GS ...

• Like 1

I would head down the Omega route. The movement does it for me, it is just exceptional, 14 pinion gear train, twin barrels, frictionless escapement, dont worry about the COSC +/- 2 sec's a day certified, this can do +/- 2 sec's a week!!! I hope Rolex are ashamed of telling George Daniels to push off............

Probably the rolex on looks (I dont really like most Rolex,  especially the Subs).

Different watch types but I'd plumb for the Railmaster over that semester.

If I had that money to lavish on a watch, I'd go for a bremont s501 and then a Sinn or another rado if the budget stretches.