• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Computer rendering of sales images.

As I am sure you are aware many of the sales pictures for watches are actually a computer generated image, and I have seen some bizarre renders e.g. the minutes track appearing to pass in front of the minute hand; however, I what is your opinion of the accuracy of these 'renders'?

I ask because I bought a watch the other day, having looked at many similar models from the same manufacturer, and thought 'that's the one'.  But when it arrived, the hands were definitely skinnier than the sales pictures on all the websites  (including the manufacturer's), and I notice every time I look at the watch.  The manufacturer has said that they were unaware that this 'render' (apparently of a prototype) was being used, and would rectify it, and I have ordered some new hands, since the movement is a Ronda 715 and easy to mod.  I am also getting them in lume / silver, as the lume / black PVD versions fitted (against a dark dial) make them weaken even further.  Luckily I like beggaring around with my watches, otherwise I should have had to get a refund, which again would have been a shame, as the watch is otherwise exactly the spec I want, and was a steal in the sale.

But have you ever bought a watch on the strength of a 'render', and found it to be less than anticipated?  I am only talking a millimetre off the width of the hands, but a millimetre is huge in watchmaking terms, even without a loupe.

J

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

As I am sure you are aware many of the sales pictures for watches are actually a computer generated image, and I have seen some bizarre renders e.g. the minutes track appearing to pass in front of the minute hand; however, I what is your opinion of the accuracy of these 'renders'?

I ask because I bought a watch the other day, having looked at many similar models from the same manufacturer, and thought 'that's the one'.  But when it arrived, the hands were definitely skinnier than the sales pictures on all the websites  (including the manufacturer's), and I notice every time I look at the watch.  The manufacturer has said that they were unaware that this 'render' (apparently of a prototype) was being used, and would rectify it, and I have ordered some new hands, since the movement is a Ronda 715 and easy to mod.  I am also getting them in lume / silver, as the lume / black PVD versions fitted (against a dark dial) make them weaken even further.  Luckily I like beggaring around with my watches, otherwise I should have had to get a refund, which again would have been a shame, as the watch is otherwise exactly the spec I want, and was a steal in the sale.

But have you ever bought a watch on the strength of a 'render', and found it to be less than anticipated?  I am only talking a millimetre off the width of the hands, but a millimetre is huge in watchmaking terms, even without a loupe.

J

Coming from a CAD background I have seen some amazing 3d visualisations of various products, mainly cars to be honest, but it happens in pretty much every industry.

My take on it is this...when 3d CAD software can be so utterly accurate with dimensions, and material options, there is no excuse for inaccuracies with a computer generated images for press releases etc. Rendering software is so good now that the only reason images are not like the 'real' product is pure laziness, and time constraints.

There is no excuse...if the CAD version is different to the finished product, then take a photo of the real thing.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

My first CAD machine cost me the same as my first 'proper' car!  Depreciated more quickly too ...

Fortunately never had to buy a CAD system, but I initially started using one 32 years ago, when the multi-national company I worked for, as a design engineer, decided to 'go CAD'. There were just three of us using it, a Linux based system (MCS Anvil 5000), on Sun workstations, I doubt that each station cost less than a Ferrari at the time! Rendering was not even an option then!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

My first CAD machine cost me the same as my first 'proper' car!  Depreciated more quickly too ...

The last pc I built was supposed to be 'future proof' but it didn't really take into account AMD raising their game the way they have.

And let's not talk about GPU's... nearly £6000 for this bad boy!

GPU or new Rolex, GPU or new Rolex, GPU or new Rolex...tough buying decision if you ask me. Let's flip a coin.:teethsmile:

quadro-rtx-8000-front-625-u@2x.jpg

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, John_D said:

Fortunately never had to buy a CAD system, but I initially started using one 32 years ago, when the multi-national company I worked for, as a design engineer, decided to 'go CAD'. There were just three of us using it, a Linux based system (MCS Anvil 5000), on Sun workstations, I doubt that each station cost less than a Ferrari at the time! Rendering was not even an option then!

Used to go for a brew every time we did a regen - my biggest outlay was a quad-data processing graphics card with hardware zooms and pans!  And that 'huge' 20" CRT monitor.  I thought I was very cool because I had a separate b&w monitor for the command lines.  Heck, that was just over 30 yrs ago too.  AutoCAD X?

1 hour ago, John_D said:

Fortunately never had to buy a CAD system

I just missed out on CAD at Uni - I think we had about 6 stations for the whole architecture course.  So when I started work at a small practice, I did a deal with the owner - I bought one workstation, he bought the other, and paid for all the software and training, and the office went CAD.  I got a good deal on my kit, bought it ex demo from the training company, and it did last years.  And the skillset still comes in handy when my technicians can't draw lol. "Give me the mouse! Give me the mouse!"

Edited by Jet Jetski
54 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Used to go for a brew every time we did a regen - my biggest outlay was a quad-data processing graphics card with hardware zooms and pans!  And that 'huge' 20" CRT monitor.  I thought I was very cool because I had a separate b&w monitor for the command lines.  Heck, that was just over 30 yrs ago too.  AutoCAD X?

I just missed out on CAD at Uni - I think we had about 6 stations for the whole architecture course.  So when I started work at a small practice, I did a deal with the owner - I bought one workstation, he bought the other, and paid for all the software and training, and the office went CAD.  I got a good deal on my kit, bought it ex demo from the training company, and it did last years.  And the skillset still comes in handy when my technicians can't draw lol. "Give me the mouse! Give me the mouse!"

I was trained on Autocad which was very much a proper bit of CAD software, but along came Inventor and it was a bit of a game changer for me...that and  a good reliable 3d mouse.

A 3d mouse is essential now, if I didn't have a 3d mouse I would give up...it must save 30%-50% of your time easily.

51szLvZ5q8L._AC_SX466_.jpgFor left hand.

81RV5xD+eTL._AC_SX466_.jpgfor right hand...

and 42" monitor so I can see what I'm doing.

Although most of the time I can honestly say that I don't know what I'm doing :teethsmile:

• Thanks 1