• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Continually made classics? Seiko Alpinist etc

Hi, 

To date I have collected affordable watches, Hamilton mechanical, Seiko Alpinist, Smiths Everest. 

Im a mature student back at uni and 'if' I pass my wife wants to buy me a watch to mark the occaison. 

Im after a classic watch that is remade if possible, in the same way as new car models come out but they have the same name, and a classic product in the same way we think of a Zippo lighter or a Barbour wax jacket etc.

Seiko Alpinist is one come to think of it, the only one I think I have along the lines of what Im thinking. 

I dont want anthing too sporty or tooly, looking for an everyday or possibly into dressy. I like the Seiko Pressage with the arabics, the geen n gold, red or blue ones. Classic size also a preference 36mm, 38mm etc

Budget is a difficult one, ive looked at BALL on Jomashop for about £1000 but wouldnt pay full retail at a £1000 for something. I normally buy to value than budget. I like classic brands where your getting what yo upay for. When it starts becoming overpriced designer it turns me off. £1000 would be a max spend I think. 

Thanks

What about an Oris big crown? They've been making them since the 1930s. They're 40mm if that size would work, not sure how big they wear but several on here have one and I'm sure they could answer that. I think they look superb and will hopefully get one in the not too distant future :thumbsup:

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Mulligano said:

Couldn't agree with Longines more! There's also the Longines Conquest - with a more explorer vibe as opposed to diver, and available in 39 mm.

Longines Conquest 39mm Auto can be got new for around £700 and is the best watch in my opinion at that price point. Good observation about the "explorer" vibe , it does have a touch of that , but is less dusty and old fashioned. The 39mm is a superior watch also to the 41mm version in my opinion .... so its a win-win ...

Edited by JonnyOldBoy
  • Like 3

I’ve owned the Conquest and Hydroconquest. Both are beautiful watches (especially the blue dial version).

I think the Oris pointer is also a very good option and one that I’d like to own myself.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, mrzee said:

I’ve owned the Conquest and Hydroconquest. Both are beautiful watches (especially the blue dial version).

I think the Oris pointer is also a very good option and one that I’d like to own myself.

Yeh the Oris has that classy vibe without being too retro, it's seem to balance that dance perfectly.

The Best dials for the Conquest I think are the current inky-black with the lumed hands [ previous version was less inky and had edge point hands with no lume ] and the previous generation blue dial which was still sunburst but less two-tone than the current one. 

My next purchase could well be a 39mm Conquest in silver or white ...... if one is dangled in front of me at a decent price .... :thumbsup:

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, mrzee said:

I would agree, and as @JonnyOldBoy says 39mm is a good size.

• Like 2

Yeah just to clarify (as @JonnyOldBoy mentioned), both of mine were the older models with ‘sunburst’ blue dials. 

Whatever you decide to buy, just make sure it is something that you love and not necessarily one that we think is the right choice.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. :thumbsup:

• Like 1