• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

"What's the best watch advice you have ever been given" ?

"Don't buy watches as an investment".

My attitude is more of win some, lose some, but enjoy what you wear while you own it.

Much more fun than your money sat in a bank earning next to nothing.

If this thread is not about watch related advice then it would be...

Always say please, and thank you

Wise words mum.

Edited by tick-tock-tittle-tattle
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Karrusel said:

“Don’t Listen to Billy Bullshi!!ers”

:yes:

Not great advice unless they know how they know they are listening to one ? :blind:

48 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said: but enjoy what you wear while you own it.

Always say please, and thank you

Unless you are leaving a Rolex AD with a lady DJ and the promise of a Daytona ..... :thumbsup:

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Karrusel said:

:rofl:

... mind you ... staying clear of Watch Forums could be a good start ... A great sage on another platform once said : " The wealthy and the poor both give advice, but the poor tend to own their advice more " 

1 minute ago, JoT said:

Buy what you like and don't listen to anyone :laugh:

Sorry , did someone say something !? [ :laugh: ]

DONT BUY SUBSTITUTES!!!!!!!!!

Dont settle for anything less than you want because it wont satisfy you. Scrimp, save but dont give into temptation, it will cost you more in the long run. 

Unfortunately i still did it a couple of times, but wont do it again....ive learned my lesson. 

Edited by WickerBill
29 minutes ago, WickerBill said:

DONT BUY SUBSTITUTES!!!!!!!!!

Dont settle for anything less than you want because it wont satisfy you. Scrimp, save but dont give into temptation, it will cost you more in the long run. 

Unfortunately i still did it a couple of times, but wont do it again....ive learned my lesson. 

Done that too...

Once you find tbe level of finish / quality that you like, it's not easy to own anything lesser, there are if course exception to this but as a general rule I find this to be true.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Jonesinamillion said:

Once you find tbe level of finish / quality that you like, it's not easy to own anything lesser, there are if course exception to this but as a general rule I find this to be true.

I was like this, but am over that hump now,,,, my next watch is equally as likely to be the Certina 500 diver than it is to be a Breitling..... But you sentiment is a real thing. I know because for a couple of years it drove my purchasing ... :thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I was like this, but am over that hump now,,,, my next watch is equally as likely to be the Certina 500 diver than it is to be a Breitling..... But you sentiment is a real thing. I know because for a couple of years it drove my purchasing ... :thumbsup:

Yeh its interesting. Im on top of the hump lol...Ive got to the point where my watches are a certain quality and i wouldnt go below that. Not because im a watch snob, but because i like a small concise collection and cant see myself selling the ones i own...it would take some special watches to replace what i have now. 

I think the only thing that could be added 'at a lower level' would be a piece that i purchased for a special occasion or on holiday etc so it has the value of memories attached rather than the value of a watch in monetary terms. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, WickerBill said:

Not because I'm a watch snob,,,

Thats what refreshing about this Forum, out of the hundreds that visit and play here, there are only a couple of those ..... thankfully .....

• Like 1
Just now, JonnyOldBoy said:

Thats what refreshing about this Forum, out of the hundreds that visit and play here, there are only a couple of those ..... thankfully .....

agreed. theres an interesting variety of pieces on here....they all have their rightful place....some arent my cup of tea, but thats ok.....im not wearing them!!!

Advice number 2: Wear what you want and dont care what others think.

There are so many times on other forums where people ask the 'should i get this, or that' question.....lol just buy what you want, not what others like or think will increase in value. 

I can only say what I've learned the hard way;

1. However much you think you want something, walk away and sleep on it....and sleep on it again...it's alot of money you know...and the car needs a service...
  2. Buy the best, or buy nothing at all.  If you can't afford it, save.
  3. And to extend William Morris' famous maxim "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." buy a tool watch that is a proper tool watch, or something you believe to be exquisite...or buy nothing at all.
  4. Don't listen to other people's opinions or advice and buy what the hell you like. :laugh::laugh:
  • Like 3