• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Lighters anyone else tinker with them ?

As per the title i was wondering if anybody else tinkers with old lighters. Since i had a bit of a stroke a couple of years ago i have found that tinkering with watches requires far more concentration than it used to, I'm still capable of doing my own repairs on watches but it takes me three times as long now :)

Anyway back to lighters, I've started to have a tinker with Ronson mid 70s electronic ones, replacing capacitors, burner seals, and inlet valves. I find the much larger parts of lighters much  easier to manipulate,  my tired old eyes can actually see them.

Parts for these old lighters are plentiful and inexpensive mostly, they are even a bit Seiko-esq with the interchangeability between models.

I've decided to collect every model of battery electronic and piezo electronic in the 1974 Ronson trade catalogue, I'm treating it a bit like an adult panini sticker book.

here's the pages I'm working on at the moment, I just need the middle two from the first page now. 

ronson-page.jpg

Edited by wookie
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 26/03/2021 at 19:51, Nigelp said:

Sure do 1970s ronson

1616788271925-1501039032.jpg

1616788306756990340065.jpg

I think my interest in lighters comes from happy childhood days spent burning worms with them. 

Weird question but have you ever removed the the flame adjuster on that onyx one? They look much like the ones on the electronic ronsons i collect and just like watch collecting "it's all about parts" when getting into these, on a very cross over item I picked up a 70s 12v Japanese lighter with the Seiko "SQ" quartz branding on the front this week, I'll upload a photo in a bit when I remember what sort of link I'm meant to use

Wook

That's a great collection you have there. I don't tinker but I bought a couple of dunhill lighters and one of their watches about 20 years ago.

My lighter is well worn but the one I gave to my late father in law is still mint.

I had an old Ronson lighter in the garage which was provided as a sample in the 90's, electronic, mostly a maroon red with gold edging. The seals were perished I think or it was faulty out of the factory - chucked it when I moved. Otherwise you could have had it.

I dread to think how many fags/ cigars I lit with the one below before I gave up.

IMG_20210424_223111271IMG_20210424_223120822

Edited by wrenny1969
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 24/04/2021 at 21:39, wrenny1969 said:

That's a great collection you have there. I don't tinker but I bought a couple of dunhill lighters and one of their watches about 20 years ago.

My lighter is well worn but the one I gave to my late father in law is still mint.

I had an old Ronson lighter in the garage which was provided as a sample in the 90's, electronic, mostly a maroon red with gold edging. The seals were perished I think or it was faulty out of the factory - chucked it when I moved. Otherwise you could have had it.

I dread to think how many fags/ cigars I lit with the one below before I gave up.

IMG_20210424_223111271IMG_20210424_223120822

Hi

That's a nice one, Those lift arm models look they would survive nuclear war :)

I have had a few of those electronics from the 90's and sadly they changed the inlet valve to a much coarser thread, I've been unable to find a source for those so I tend to part out the plastic bodied ones as the ignitor and burner valve fit the old 70's electronics.

I picked up a Dunhill rollagas when i got the cabinet, its missing its closing spring but apart from that works fine for a rough looking example, I'll get round to it when i pick up another cheap scrapper and get a good one from the two.

wook

On 24/04/2021 at 22:31, Colin Belfast said:

Hi Wookie

Your collection is building up nicely.  Apologies for not getting back to you regarding the lighters I have.

I haven't forgotten, it's just that they're not where I thought they were so I need to turn the place upside down to find them.  

Hi

No worries at all, it's very kind of you to look.

all the best

wook

Edited by wookie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some real quality stuff shown in this thread!

I stopped smoking in '06 due to finding out I was asthmatic!, I used to collect them years ago though with my dad, He was a lorry driver hauling scrap and used to bring bags of them home occasionally believe it or not!!

My mum was given a ladies Ronson that was round and tapered towards the top, I still have it somewhere, It has two faceted stones at the pivot for the hood to open, She said they were diamonds but I wouldn't think so but Molly (Mums friend) used to rub shoulders with some pretty high status folk after the war!

When my dad brought them hiome it would keep us busy for a few weeks trying to get as many as we could going!, Dad loved his old Ronson petrol lighters best!!

I'll find them out and take some pics..

John :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of new ones this week, Both table lighters, The gold one on the left is really one of those electronics from my first post, Ronson just rehoused it in a tiny little desk lighter case that weighs just over half a pound. The lighter came in non working condition and had a leak, I changed out the burner seals and fitted a new inlet valve which dealt with the leak then turned my attention to the ignition system which needed a new capacitor, They take a 16v 300Uf cap if anybody else is attempting this, I like to search out vintage NOS caps if possible as the newer caps are only about a quarter of the size and you have to get creative with the old cap casing to take up the slack, Modern work just fine though.

The second huge table lighter is a Japanese Maruman T-8 Hi-Beam from the 70s, this one is piezo rather than battery and came to me boxed in full working order, This one had a bit of a surprise when I found a sticker saying "Lead crystal"  I was convinced it would be some sort of plastic. It's a great dinner party lighter.WP-20210515-19-33-46-Pro.jpg

• Like 1