• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Grandval - Kickstarter

At 20mm, I thin the strap looks too narrow on the actual photos, it just seems lost on the big slab of case. That's quite a statement who usually won't go near anything with a 20+mm strap.

And I'm not a fan of the GMT bezel, but do like the dive time better, particularly the black crosshair is attractive.

The kick is that it'll be c.£450 landed I'd expect :(

4 hours ago, al_kaholik said:

At 20mm, I thin the strap looks too narrow on the actual photos, it just seems lost on the big slab of case. That's quite a statement who usually won't go near anything with a 20+mm strap.

And I'm not a fan of the GMT bezel, but do like the dive time better, particularly the black crosshair is attractive.

The kick is that it'll be c.£450 landed I'd expect :(

Its definitely a big slab of a watch but with no lugs to speak of I'm guessing it will wear quite nicely.

I just love the 1-12 bezel and in black, rather striking though I would add my own unique strap myself.

I've done about half a dozen kickstarter and cant say I have any concerns from a security point of view; if you have and feel tempted, consider the use of credit card maybe?

I have to be honest and say that I really don't get this one at all. There is more than just "a touch of vintage inspiration" going on here in the "Atlantique" dive watch, and the "modern design" elements do not sit well within what is clearly a mish-mash of the old and the modern. In particular, I don't really like the hands, partly because the hour and minute hands are too short in what is already a visually small dial (relative to the width of the bezel), and I also find it a bit ugly and probably less practical for gripping the edge of the bezel, that the side of the case protrudes beyond the rotating bezel without being a genuinely aesthetic plus point. It looks as though someone has replaced an original case with one that is slightly too big. Then, rather in the manner of a coup de grâce, the designer seems to have decided, perhaps at the last moment, to cut off the lugs. Some watches suit a lugless design, and larger watches without lugs seem to suit my wrist. However, in this case, the aesthetics call out for a decent set of lugs. Finally, with regard to the GMT version, why not retain the dive watch bezel and have a GMT centre hand - so combining a diving watch with a GMT function and giving the wearer the best of both worlds.