• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

HELP!!! Real or fake Cartier Ballon Bleu Quartz Movement??

Using a loupe you should be able to see the precision of the engraving. If the edges are clean then it's probably genuine, if they are less distinct it would set alarm bells.

The one thing that is setting alarm bells for me in that photo is the fact the screws that are holding the movement in place within the case appear to be softer metal than spec.

Either that or someone without correct method and tools has access the inner workings. But that for me would be a red flag. Those screws should be clean and crisp in the main. It's not unusual to see signs of some work on the screws but that looks excessive.

• Thanks 1

This is no clear indication, but all of the fake Cartier watches I've handled have had Miyota movements, never any effort to cover up the fact that they are cheap Japanese modules.

Of course I'm sure some of the higher end stuff these days will go the whole 9 yards, engraved movements etc, but I've had some really convincing fakes come through my shop and every single one without exception was Miyota inside. 

These are usually given away by the dial text. No photo's of the front? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They look pretty good to me , as @kevkojaksays all the fake ones I’ve seen have had cheap miyota movements   The fact they are marked Cartier and the case looks quality the movement holder being metal isn’t the norm on fakes either, a front view would be good and maybe the case back 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, kevkojak said:

Of course I'm sure some of the higher end stuff these days will go the whole 9 yards, engraved movements etc, but I've had some really convincing fakes come through my shop and every single one without exception was Miyota inside. 

I just mentioned this thread to my Watch collector Customs Buddy whose [ fairly locally famously ] involvement of steamrollering a vast consignment of counterfeit watches on a south cost quay side a few years back still makes great pub chat [ when we can go to them ] ... He concurs with you. He has never seen a Cartier counterfeit with anything other than a substitute movement.  

What's your take on the overly mangled screws on the outer portions ? Just a ham fisted indy battery servicer with incorrect screw drivers ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1