• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Good morning seniors  fans, it`s time to delve into the past....

"ServiceS" COMPETITOR, FOREIGN & TRANSPORT (A.R.P.) FOREIGN MADE

(by Thiel Brothers, Thuringia, Germany) circa late 1920s/early 1930s)

609857988_SERVICES-COMPETITOR--TRANSPORT-DSC_0002.thumb.gif.3a3546713e3cdef341abed8f86bcb2c9.gif

Servicescirca1937_0008.thumb.jpg.28c1e1d0b337c1fe2be5188c82413e1f.jpg

:biggrin:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Morning,

This nondescript Konak was an early driver of my vintage watches affliction.

Bought some years ago from a sad-looking itinerant trader who had sidled his folding table on to the unlit fringe of an East European Christmas Market, perhaps to avoid paying a fee for his space.

This solitary watch was sleeping underneath his random clutter of cracked ceramics and broken electrical bits, probably having long ago given up on anyone rescuing it. I passed on it initially, but then felt sufficiently guilty to go back for it the next day when, to my shame, I haggled the price down to single figures (still too much, I hear you say).

With its 15j Baumgartner 34 movement and paper dial, this was never anything other than a cheap watch. The word “Konak” produces mainly Turkish references, so whilst the origins of this Swiss brand may be long lost, at least the watch itself lives on.

Regards.

Konak 2018 v.2.JPG

Konak BFG 34 2018 v.2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

A thing of beauty is a joy forever!

IMG_20210307_090222308(1)(1).thumb.jpg.0a6d391344e568f9d0e457ba6b908179.jpg

Snowite cased Beguelin Cal. 51 I think, with enamel luminous dial.

No photo description available.

A waterproof luminous watch for only £5.50!

1515173028_oyster3.jpg.e2bca256a334294ac5fc844ae3e1ed1e.jpg

For the same price today you could get ...

Image 01 - Fashion-Mens-Nylon-Waterproof-Strap-Luminous-Sport-Quartz-Wrist-Watch-R9T8-U8Z2

HAGD

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Balaton1109 said:

Morning,

This nondescript Konak was an early driver of my vintage watches affliction.

Bought some years ago from a sad-looking itinerant trader who had sidled his folding table on to the unlit fringe of an East European Christmas Market, perhaps to avoid paying a fee for his space.

This solitary watch was sleeping underneath his random clutter of cracked ceramics and broken electrical bits, probably having long ago given up on anyone rescuing it. I passed on it initially, but then felt sufficiently guilty to go back for it the next day when, to my shame, I haggled the price down to single figures (still too much, I hear you say).

With its 15j Baumgartner 34 movement and paper dial, this was never anything other than a cheap watch. The word “Konak” produces mainly Turkish references, so whilst the origins of this Swiss brand may be long lost, at least the watch itself lives on.

Regards.

Konak 2018 v.2.JPG

Konak BFG 34 2018 v.2.jpg

The dial has aged beautifully, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ORIENT 3 Star, cal.48330, 17 Jewels,1980s

1934600937_ORIENT3Starcal.4832017Jewels1980s..thumb.gif.47163e0400cf293f1e4c26e73c99bd96.gif

&

Командирские (Boctok), Сделано в СССР kaл. 2414A  17 КАМНЯ, около 1980s

(Commander [Vostok], Made in USSR, cal. 2414A  17 Jewels, circa 1980s)

Vostok-Comander-DSC_0270a.thumb.gif.2906e8f80667e18e66d53b1942c1d191.gif

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

If we can add pocket watches, I have this little beauty - a full hunter with hunting scenes front and back.  I took some photos a while ago to show dealers and got absolutely no interest whatsoever, as it's 'only a Smiths movement', so of no value and pretty unsaleable - apparently.  To my eye, the Huguenin brothers case is by far the most interesting bit (but of little value as it isn't silver - apparently).  I was going to try and sell it, but for what its maybe worth, I think I'd probably rather keep it, just to look at.  The watch isn't working well, it seems to stop and start.  So it would at least need looking at. 

I think the ground of the case design is intended to be dark, but I also think it has been polished at some time, someone thinking it was tarnished silver.  I spent an evening under a magnifying lamp with a fine paintbrush and warm soapy water, trying to get dried silver polish out of the textures.  I can still see some as I post the photos.

I don't think this is the finest Huguenin work and pocket watches featuring their cases seem to vary in value from about 40 quid to thousands - depending on metals used and movements.  I think this is much nearer the lower end, pretty though it is.  I think it must be first decade-ish 20th century.

huguenin_0193df.jpg

huguenin_0187df.jpg

huguenin_0189df.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

The last pair from me...

ServiceS CHALLENGE(replacement 1 jeweled Pin-pallet )

&

AVIATION, (unjeweled pin-pallet). Both watches  MADE IN ENGLAND` by Louis Newmark Croydon), circa 1954.

1388538986_ServiceSCHALLENGE(replacement1jeweledPin-pallet)AVIATION(unjeweledpin-pallet).BothwatchesMADEINENGLANDbyLouisNewmarkCroydon)circa1954..gif.8202df0dd6d4e9e86b114381d0028cb4.gif

• Like 3