• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Picking A Pilot - Help Requested

No I haven't made holiday plans for the summer ... As some may have noticed, I posted a WTB in Classifieds & am trying to buy a watch - Specifically I am after a Pilot watch between 40-44mm
I was hoping someone here might be thinking of flipping one (or upgrading) & initially said my budget was £50 - £150, but on reflection, I probably need to spend up to £250 to find a half decent used one?
Poking around online I have seen a few so far that might fit the bill: A Junkers / A Laco / A Strond - I have done as much research as I can myself on these brands & would appreciate and pointers from the knowledge base here (other alternatives I might have missed too please?)
Thanks ... Paul

Edited by PaulBoy
edit

Can't see how to edit my initial post (maybe it times out after a while?) anyway, the pic below shows four of the Pilot watches I owned before - I appreciate these brands are now way out of my price range, but it gives an idea of what I am looking for - I already have a chrono, so don't really want a Pilot Chrono (but will still consider one?) - I also need something with decent lume (to last all night., if you get my drift!)

four pilots

• Like 1

Paul, lume won't last all night.

Best bet if that is a key factor is to find something with Tritium Tube instead of painted lume.  Ball would usually be my first port of call, but on a tighter budget then Luminox should fit the bill.  £200-£300 should get you a nice aviator from their collection.

Edited by kevkojak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Paul. Yes, you are right, the edit function times out at around 15 minutes after posting. After that, you can ask a mod to do it for you if you really need to.

I would agree with Kev that a Luminox with Tritium tubes would fit the bill nicely, even a Vostok Europe.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, kevkojak said:

Paul, lume won't last all night.

Best bet if that is a key factor is to find something with Tritium Tube instead of painted lume.  Ball would usually be my first port of call, but on a tighter budget then Luminox should fit the bill.  £200-£300 should get you a nice aviator from their collection.

Hello & thanks for the advice - Interesting comment on the lume - My SD1970 diver has lume on the dial / hands & bezel ring - If I charge the watch up for 10 seconds the lume lasts until morning? - Maybe this is because the watch is new & the lume is so fresh? - I just assumed (if you charged it first?) all watches other than budget ones, would have lume like this? - I used to be a dab hand at taking pics of lume, but in those days had a "proper" DSLR camera & I'm not sure my pocket job I use now would be up to the job?
Paul

1 hour ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

If you're happy with the SD1970, why not look at the SD1940? Classic Flieger A dial, if a smidge under size at 39mm.

https://www.steeldiveuk.com/product-page/steeldive-sd1940-pilot-mark-xviii-automatic-200m-diver-watch

Hi & thanks for the reply - I was aware of the SD1940, but as you said, a little smaller than I was ideally looking for, but would expect it to have similar lume of my SD1970? - Maybe worth a punt & I wouldn't lose out too much if it wore a bit too small (?)
Paul

2 hours ago, PaulBoy said:

Can't see how to edit my initial post (maybe it times out after a while?) anyway, the pic below shows four of the Pilot watches I owned before - I appreciate these brands are now way out of my price range, but it gives an idea of what I am looking for - I already have a chrono, so don't really want a Pilot Chrono (but will still consider one?) - I also need something with decent lume (to last all night., if you get my drift!)

four pilots

ooo now that Sinn is lovely

With apologies to any camera buffs among us, this is the best I can do with my Panny TZ camera - I hope it will give some idea of how good the lume is with these Steeldivers (?) - Incidentally, I spoke with one of the UK guys who import these watches & he advised the SD1940, that PC mentioned above, has the same lume quality - There is a bigger model (42mm) San Marino Pilot & he is expecting a delivery of some soon, so that could be a decent option for me (?)

sd1970 lume

• Like 2

Me again! - After expanding my search to include military watches, a couple of watches have caught my eye

Bulova Precisionist Military

Traser P67 Officer Pro

Had a look round here but a fair bit on the Bulova, but not much on the Traser? - Must admit the Tritium on the Traser could be the deciding factor, but any comments / alternatives would be most welcome before I shell out ... Paul

Bit of an update today after my "new" (one careful owner!) watch arrived today - A Bulova Military with Precisionist movement - Only took me 12 days (since my return) to buy my first watch :whistle:
I have a feeling there will be a few more :rltrlt:
Paul

bulova military wrist

• Like 4
On 10/03/2021 at 11:30, PaulBoy said:

Yep, that's the one I was looking at - Auto version with ETA movement I believe?- I've seen a variant with quartz (only says "Swiss Quartz"?)

Trader are sometimes advertised on the Ideal World shopping channel which you can find on Sky. You might also find them on the ideal world website.

I cannot comment on quality as I don't own one.

1 hour ago, AlwaysAlba said:

Trader are sometimes advertised on the Ideal World shopping channel which you can find on Sky. You might also find them on the ideal world website.

I cannot comment on quality as I don't own one.

Thanks, I was aware that IW sell them - If they had some in a sale I might be tempted, but unless that happens I'll look out for a used one ... Paul :thumbsup:

If you don't mind wearing a modern watch then the Citizen Nghthawk would be my choice for a pilots watch. European versions don't have the silly Nighthawk on the dial (US versions do). I've owned a couple in the past & they're excellent watches - very well made, 200m water resistant & have an independent GMT hand. They have a slide rule for calculating fuel load/range & so on but if you can use/read that then you're a better man than I. Lovely watch despite that & I think I'd like another - does anyone have one for sale?? :)

Edited by pauluspaolo
29 minutes ago, pauluspaolo said:

If you don't mind wearing a modern watch then the Citizen Nghthawk would be my choice for a pilots watch. European versions don't have the silly Nighthawk on the dial (US versions do). I've owned a couple in the past & they're excellent watches - very well made, 200m water resistant & have an independent GMT hand. They have a slide rule for calculating fuel load/range & so on but if you can use/read that then you're a better man than I. Lovely watch despite that & I think I'd like another - does anyone have one for sale?? :)

Hi Paul ... No problem with modern watch / Citizen & I had looked at their "Tough" watches as a possible? - I'm not after a chrono, but there are non-chrono Nighthawks like the World Timer & the GMT type you mentioned, but they don't seem to do a basic or plain one (that I could find?) - Nice watches though & I'd certainly be happy with another Eco-Drive ... Paul

1 hour ago, mrzee said:

There is a guy on Instagram called affordablewristtime who has a rather nice Citizen Nighhawk. They are a cool looking watch for sure.

Thanks! - I'm not registered with Instagram, so other than seeing a pic I can't look any further? - Think he's in Asia somewhere too?

26 minutes ago, PaulBoy said:

Thanks! - I'm not registered with Instagram, so other than seeing a pic I can't look any further? - Think he's in Asia somewhere too?

He has some nice watches. For some reason I get a lot of watch posts showing up on my Instagram and Facebook feeds...:biggrin:

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, normdiaz said:

Orient FUNG2001F

Thanks ... That certainly would have been a contender before I got my nice 262 Bulova which I think satisfies my pilot / military itch (for now at least :whistle:)

Paul