• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

The Repair Shop - last night (10th March) watch repair

I enjoy watching this program but I thought last nights episode was great. 

For those that have not seen it - It featured the repair of a family heirloom piece that belonged to WW1 British soldier. I'm not sure what the watch was but there was a great back story to how the watch was stolen and found again. I'm a romantic old soul and  love stories like that!

I would have liked to have seen a bit more footage of the actual repair but I suspect that would have been really boring to other viewers who are not watch 'nerds' like us!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Eddiex said:

For those that have not seen it - It featured the repair of a family heirloom piece that belonged to WW1 British soldier. I'm not sure what the watch was but there was a great back story to how the watch was stolen and found again. I'm a romantic old soul and  love stories like that!

I would have liked to have seen a bit more footage of the actual repair but I suspect that would have been really boring to other viewers who are not watch 'nerds' like us!

Nail on the head, both in terms of the show generally & the story be behind the watch in question - Also would like to have seen more of the watch repair (but we all would say that here!)
Paul :thumbsup:

I was going to post about last night's Repair Shop programme before spotting that you had got there before me, @Eddiex.:)

It is amazing just how durable some of these old wristwatches are, and that one was a real old-timer. I was impressed with the results achieved on that watch and thought that the replacement strap was really nice. I noticed that the watch was branded "Mappin", which is intriguing and probably has some relationship with the family responsible for "Mappin & Webb"; I must do a  bit of digging into this.

Yes - I'd be interested to know the make of the watch. I thought that the strap was fit for the bin but to be fair I don't have the imagination to come up with the solution that the repairer made in the end! 

7 hours ago, Eddiex said:

Thanks for mentioning this,i missed it but have now downloaded to watch a bit later.

Not seen the last couple of episodes yet (have it recording on a series link on my TV) so will look forward to that. The content and skill level is generally very good, but I was disappointed when they restored a wooden propeller hub with a Ferranti synchronous clock in it and junked the Ferranti movement and replaced it with a cheap quartz battery one.:angry:

I was impressed how advanced a watch from WWI seemed to my amateur eyes, and how good the condition of the dial was despite being exposed to the elements for several years. It was nice too for the expert, Steve, to gets his hands on a proper watch/clock repair for once, instead of the loosely defined “clockwork” jobs he is usually given.

There was also recently a wedding ring that had been lost for some time; it had slipped off the owner’s finger on their driveway, so subsequently was run over hundreds of times by the family car. When she brought it into the Repair Shop, the ring was a crushed, mangled mess, but the experts worked their magic and returned it practically as good as new.

Does anyone know what watch Will the carpenter wears? Looks like a posh diver, maybe a Rolex?

I love this programme too, but I always watch it on iPlayer so I can wind it on past the sob stories, which I have no interest in.  The sister programme 'The Repair Shop: Repairing Britain' is slightly better as they concentrate on just three items per episode and go into more detail on the actual repairs. There is still a lot of fast forwarding needed, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/03/2021 at 16:51, Roger the Dodger said:

I love this programme too, but I always watch it on iPlayer so I can wind it on past the sob stories, which I have no interest in.  The sister programme 'The Repair Shop: Repairing Britain' is slightly better as they concentrate on just three items per episode and go into more detail on the actual repairs. There is still a lot of fast forwarding needed, though.

Thanks for the link - I haven't seen it but will deffo start watching. It's funny - I've come from a very alpha male/don't show you emotions environment and when I watch and hear these back stories in programmes like this I often feel a little tear building. I never cry tho - cos that's just not manly, is it?!! I'm such a wuss really................

• Like 1