• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What Watch

What watch do you wear at the AD, which would be best - another Rolex, a different brand, whatever is in rotation, no watch at all?

I usually wear whatever is in rotation, so 1 out of 10 chance it's my Rolex, and sometimes no watch at all to make it easier to try watches on.

Maybe that sends the wrong signal?

How about you

I like to dress down, joggers, hoddies that type thing. Then see if the AD's stereotype me thinking I'm tyre kicker, window shopper etc. If they do then  f**k them and onto the next one. I never let see what's on my wrist unless they acknowledge me as a customer. Some decent AD's have ended selling me 4 watches in 1 sitting! Others have lost my business either way I lose no sleep :Snore:

3 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

What's most appropriate for scrolling through Amazon though?

That takes some serious wrist action. Has to be a g shock lool

Edited by Craftycockney
  • Like 1

When I bought my Oris I wore my G Shock that automatically sets itself every night to the atomic clock. It was so I could set my new watch to the exact time as jewellers only ever set things approximately. I guess you are talking about a higher level of horology though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlwaysAlba said:

I would wear something unusual or different, it shows the sales assistant you know about watches and might earn you a little respect.

For me, an IWC pilots watch or a Zenith does the trick.

This does it for me.

81AaMAsX3uL._AC_UY741_.jpg

Sales staff soon get the message I'm a serious buyer, and not in their shop to horse around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

Surely the AD has to know you already, or they won't let you into the shop. You could try waving a roll of £50 notes at them, I suppose. That might get you in.

This sounds serious. :huh:

49 minutes ago, AlwaysAlba said:

I would wear something unusual or different, it shows the sales assistant you know about watches and might earn you a little respect.

For me, an IWC pilots watch or a Zenith does the trick.

That would be if they actually know something about watches other than the brand names.

On 12/03/2021 at 18:23, Bow said:

I wore my best watch and they couldn’t have been more helpful, must really like Tissott quartz.

I never beg anyone to take my money.

I think this sums it up. 

There's lots of BS online about demand and how to win over an AD. Having spent my career in B2C, I just see this a content for contents sake (online journos need to earn money for watches too). Retailers want to sell as much as they can as quickly as possible.

I have no doubt that if you show you genuinely want their business, they'll do all they can for you. 

What people don't realise is there is no magic wand to go from 1M to 2M Rolex's a year at the drop of a hat. The investment would be hundreds of millions and take years. If Rolex believed this demand would be constant and provide ROI over then next 20+ years, I'm sure they'd do it (maybe they are) so maybe that says something about a bubble. 

Edited by antjrice

3 hours ago, antjrice said:

I think this sums it up. 

There's lots of BS online about demand and how to win over an AD. Having spent my career in B2C, I just see this a content for contents sake (online journos need to earn money for watches too). Retailers want to sell as much as they can as quickly as possible.

I have no doubt that if you show you genuinely want their business, they'll do all they can for you. 

What people don't realise is there is no magic wand to go from 1M to 2M Rolex's a year at the drop of a hat. The investment would be hundreds of millions and take years. If Rolex believed this demand would be constant and provide ROI over then next 20+ years, I'm sure they'd do it (maybe they are) so maybe that says something about a bubble. 

I always think back to my time as a young lad in the motor trade. One Saturday morning, just before closing time, a big scruffy fella came in looking at cars. It wasn’t part of my job but I had a little chat with him on my way out, telling him about the car etc. He told me that the BMW dealer had asked him to leave. In a broad Irish accent he decided “f@@k it, I’ll have a silver one with all the toys.”

True to his word, he bought the top of the range car plus another dozen or so over the years and became more of a pal than a customer.

Twenty odd years on, at the football, I was clubbed rounded the back of the head, turned round to see him smiling. First thing he said was “Do you remember those c@@@@ at BMW throwing me out? It obviously stuck and he never spent a penny with them.

Edited by Bow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bow said:

I always think back to my time as a young lad in the motor trade. One Saturday morning, just before closing time, a big scruffy fella came in looking at cars. It wasn’t part of my job but I had a little chat with him on my way out, telling him about the car etc. He told me that the BMW dealer had asked him to leave. In a broad Irish accent he decided “f@@k it, I’ll have a silver one with all the toys.”

True to his word, he bought the top of the range car plus another dozen or so over the years and became more of a pal than a customer.

Twenty odd years on, at the football, I was clubbed rounded the back of the head, turned round to see him smiling. First thing he said was “Do you remember those c@@@@ at BMW throwing me out? It obviously stuck and he never spent a penny with them.

And that is the very reason I will never have an Omega on my wrist. Not once, but three times, from 3 different AD's, I have endured aloof, and patronising service. A good number of years ago I decided to finish work early, get home, clean up, take my wife out for lunch, and buy something expensive. It turned out to be the day from hell. Lunch was cancelled, and at 5  minutes before closing time I entered the AD, stinking of diesel, filthy with mud and engine oil, and parked up outside in one of these,

32904_file-bedford-mj-series-truck-pic7-

After I'd bought what I went in for, I commented that I was surprised that I hadn't been thrown out. The guy replied (with a smile) that only a serious buyer would have come in such attire. :laughing2dw:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2