• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Looking for

Hi guys,

Sorry to be so unoriginal, but I'm a bit stuck here and need to pick your brains for a minute.

I'm on the market for a non-diver sports watch. My ideal watch is a Sinn 556i... if it were half the price. I'm after something with:

A rugged/Sporty look.
Around 38mm (a bit bigger is OK providing it has a bezel).
Preferably not from a microbrand.
Not much more than 500€ - 600$.
Ideally all brushed, if it has some polished surfaces should be discreet.

No preference as to quartz or mechanical.

Many thanks and looking forward to hearing your ideas!

1 hour ago, PaulBoy said:

What about something like the Citizen Promaster Tough? - Pic below of the most recent one, though I prefer some of the earlier versions & special editions (Ray Mears et al) - 40mm

citizen tough

Second this, had one in my hand the other day as Father in law has just ordered one (via us because he doesn't order anything himself online) and we got a look before posting it on. Lovely thing, compact but chunky without being heavy (all titanium), screw down crown - just feels right.

• Thanks 1

I posted this yesterday on another forum! :laugh: :laugh:  We're kindred souls, mate. :thumbsup:

The conclusion I got is that there's little to choose from outside of microbrands: Hamilton Kakhi Field in its various incarnations, Citizen Attesa cb1120-50F or the discontinued Promaster Land (I can't remember the reference), Certina DS1 or DS4, Victorinox Maverick 37mm, and that's about it. The Traska Commuter is the closest thing to a Sinn 556i at half the price, but then again it's from a, relatively new, microbrand.

On 13/03/2021 at 13:35, Jonesinamillion said:

Alpina, tissot, hamilton, certina, used Sinn...

Used Sinn's normally go for much more than the 500€ the not-so-OP wants. Personally I find Tissots at this price range boring and too dressy. Alpinas are rather large.

I forgot the Seiko SND367PC, if chronographs are your thing

17 hours ago, WickerBill said:

How about a CWC G10...can’t get more rugged than something built for the military. Ideal field watch and well under budget 

I like these and had one - a standard G10  (not an issued one) for a few years. It's small but you soon become used to it and I think is a classic.

The only downside in my mind is that the water resistance is only 50 metres and thats why I sold it as I wanted as a rugged go anywhere (in the water) piece. If you like that sort of thing the better option might be the G10 sapphire which as the name suggests has a sapphire crystal and 200m water resistance.

I'm fighting the urge to buy one myself at the moment!