• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning all [emoji41] This for today's trip to Patpong market. [emoji16]

Just completed the Census - £1,000 fine if not done by tomorrow night! and my plan for the afternoon  

Not had this one out for a while :)  

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Experimental watch number 1 has arrived, now do pay attention Bond.

This watch is equipped with a Miyota 8215 21j automatic movement, with quick-set date, no hacking feature, and an indirect drive second hand.

IMG_20210320_091129962(1)(1).thumb.jpg.a8154a921c509693c5e71b9d862b9e38.jpg

An indirectly driven seconds hand is prone to stutter, and thereby deviate from the actual timekeeping of the watch movement as a whole.  This makes a hacking feature effectively redundant, although the seconds hand does perform the original function of indicating that the watch is running, nonetheless, cheaper watches carrying this movement come with extra instructions stuck on the back:

IMG_20210320_091520986(1).thumb.jpg.a47466bfebe93fcfa07ea797526f3d54.jpg

I think that's a bit harsh, the watch is not so bad, I have never been a fan of skeleton hands, but what attracted me to this watch was the syringe style, enabling me to get an accurate reading of the time from the minutes hand.

IMG_20210320_091111770(1)(1).thumb.jpg.e2a458f7cb9f0770e0b17d850018a30a.jpg

I like the crown too, I have put it on a single pass strap to aid rapid removal and access to the screw back in order to regulate the watch easily.

And in between regulating activities, I will be able to gauge the accuracy of the watch, without relying on the position of the seconds hand, by dint of the aforementioned finely honed needle at the end of the minutes hand.

Deep joy.

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Jet Jetski said:

An indirectly driven seconds hand is prone to stutter, 

They are not all guitty. I read a seemingly endless load of technobabble on how you can apparently stop the stutter, if I find it again I'll post you the link.

54 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

If you'd waited until about half 2 to take the photo you might have got away with it!

It's an in-line button so you need to use a pen. It's a pain in the ass. I have done it now however.... 

36 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

They are not all guitty. I read a seemingly endless load of technobabble on how you can apparently stop the stutter, if I find it again I'll post you the link.

Thanks, I have read about a few techniques, most commonly the tension on the brake spring, none of them seemed 100%, and one of them seemed to work until the extra wear imposed by the modification allowed the phenomenon to restart.

I'd forgotten the fun of Postie arriving with watch related goodies! :thumbsup: - This blue leather strap & a bracelet (both for the Alpha) - See if I can remember how to take links out of my bracelet later :blush:

alpha blue leather

Edited by PaulBoy
1st pics were rubbish!
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2