• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Vostok Amphibia: Some possibly dumb questions

Well, since joining the forum and getting some good advice on buying a Vostok Amphibia, I've kind of fallen down the rabbit hole of endless variations and frankly can't make a decision on which to buy first!

Especially now that I have more sources to look at, thanks to you lot!

Now, I do have a couple of questions ;-)

I started out wanting the 1967 type, then expanded that to something that was basically a reproduction of the original 'range' from the late 60s and into the 70's.

But a bit of searching online for vintage examples to look for modern repro's of......... and I'm not sure which are genuine and which are altered with modern dials.

There must be a link to some kind of gallery of unmodded early amphibians, can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Now to the possibly dumb questions.

Presumably the basic movement in the 31 jewel automatics is the same apart from the mechanism for those with the date?

So the Komanderskie's that are 200m/automatic's are using the Amphibia insides?

In which case, why have I seen some sites/sellers describing the automatic Komanderskie's as having an anti-overwinding feature. But I don't see Amphibia's listed with that feature, does anyone know if they do?

I thiknk that feature might factor into my decision making as a new potential Vostok buyer!

I know the movement in the amphibia is anti-shock. Is it anti-magnetic?

Also, I see a lot of vintage Vostoks with crazed paint on the dials. I don't much care if the 'radium' (or whatever the modern version is) stops glowing in a few years, but I don't want the dial to craze. Have Vostok cured this problem?

If not, is it limited to certain types of dial?

Thanks, needless to say I'll probobly have more questions before I start buying these.

2 hours ago, Atlantia said:

There must be a link to some kind of gallery of unmodded early amphibians, can anyone point me in the right direction please?

It's a minefield out there. There are some sites with old Soviet watch catalogues which can help. Feel free to post up watches you like the look of and people will be more than happy to give you an honest opinion.

Now to the possibly dumb questions.

Presumably the basic movement in the 31 jewel automatics is the same apart from the mechanism for those with the date?

Modern Vostoks (post 80s anyway) all feature the 24XX movement which comes in different configurations (auto/manual/date/no-date/GMT etc)

So the Komanderskie's that are 200m/automatic's are using the Amphibia insides?

The 200m Komandirskies have the same case specifications as the Amphibias. Movements are pretty much the same 24XX across the entire Amphibia/Komandirskie range.

In which case, why have I seen some sites/sellers describing the automatic Komanderskie's as having an anti-overwinding feature. But I don't see Amphibia's listed with that feature, does anyone know if they do?

All automatic watches have this feature - it's just a slipping clutch in the mainspring/barrel assembly.

I thiknk that feature might factor into my decision making as a new potential Vostok buyer!

I know the movement in the amphibia is anti-shock. Is it anti-magnetic?

All Amphibias/Komandirskies have anti-shock. Anti-magnetic depends on the case and case back. Some older Vostoks had a faraday cage, newer models sometimes have a modified case back.

Also, I see a lot of vintage Vostoks with crazed paint on the dials. I don't much care if the 'radium' (or whatever the modern version is) stops glowing in a few years, but I don't want the dial to craze. Have Vostok cured this problem? If not, is it limited to certain types of dial?

Some dials are more prone than others to crazing/cracking. Some folk refer to them as "spider" dials (even some older Rolex suffer from this). I just think they look crap! Buy a decent condition dial to start with, store it properly and it should be okay for decades.

Edited by Lampoc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Lampoc said:

Some dials are more prone than others to crazing/cracking. Some folk refer to them as "spider" dials (even some older Rolex suffer from this). I just think they look crap! Buy a decent condition dial to start with, store it properly and it should be okay for decades.

Well I like mine!! :biggrin:

large.PC150336.JPG.ecacaa4f0bba3f73a98abc82f4fc1742.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/03/2021 at 14:43, Lampoc said:

Hi Lampoc,

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a straightforward chronology of the cases?
Am I right in thinking that the original amphibia was the 'pillow' shaped 1967 case with various finishes and the 'ministry' case followed soon after?

Now that I've looked at the various sites and the dizzying array of choice, I find myself wanting a selection!

12 hours ago, JoT said:

Hi JoT

Thanks for the example.

Now that perfectly illustrates the issue with crazing. Your watch's face has crazed but the separate raised indicies help to mitigate the effects. Strange that the logos don't look affected either.

I've seen some others look much more affected by this crazing.

10 hours ago, Atlantia said:

Hi JoT

Thanks for the example.

Now that perfectly illustrates the issue with crazing. Your watch's face has crazed but the separate raised indicies help to mitigate the effects. Strange that the logos don't look affected either.

I've seen some others look much more affected by this crazing.

If you enlarge the image you can see the crazing does cut through the logo although luckily it's not badly affected

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atlantia said:

Hi Lampoc,

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a straightforward chronology of the cases?
Am I right in thinking that the original amphibia was the 'pillow' shaped 1967 case with various finishes and the 'ministry' case followed soon after?

Now that I've looked at the various sites and the dizzying array of choice, I find myself wanting a selection!

The first Amphibia was the swing lug version. The pillow case was second generation. Have a look through a load of old Vostok catalogues to get a better idea of dates, watches etc: http://ussr-watch.com/watch-catalogues/

• Like 1

On 21/03/2021 at 21:14, JoT said:

If you enlarge the image you can see the crazing does cut through the logo although luckily it's not badly affected

LOL, It does give it a weird sort of uniqueness.

On 21/03/2021 at 22:34, Lampoc said:

The first Amphibia was the swing lug version. The pillow case was second generation. Have a look through a load of old Vostok catalogues to get a better idea of dates, watches etc: http://ussr-watch.com/watch-catalogues/

Ah, I see! Not too taken with the swing lug ones.

The catologues are great thanks :)

On 21/03/2021 at 08:34, JoT said:

Ive always liked this. Id show this to anyone who complains they dinged their watch sat at a desk. In fact id show this to anyone with more than 1 watch. 

59 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Ive always liked this. Id show this to anyone who complains they dinged their watch sat at a desk. In fact id show this to anyone with more than 1 watch. 

Agree, I've said it before, it's absolutely what I would want in a vintage watch

• Like 1

Does anyone have any experience of this type of Komandirskie?

Are they as 'good' as the amphibia? Lampoc kindly informed me above that they are essentially the same spec, are there any noticable differences between the actual amphibia's and the 'amphibious' Komandirskies?

The case is stainless but the crown also looks like it is. Does anyone know for sure?

Lastly, the bezel. What's the quality like and what are the inserts made of?

Many thanks.

a31ea91bde6a081e166f4e195a154768.jpg&f=1

It's basically an Amphibia with a Komandirskie dial. There is no other difference. The crown is stainless. The bezel is pretty decent too although I have no idea what the insert made of.

Edited by Lampoc
  • Like 1

Hi Lampoc

The crown's on Amphibia's are just plated usually aren't they? If so, it's a bit of a bonus that these Komandirskie's have stainless ones.

I guess it would be too much to hope that the bezel is stainless and the insert is anything other than plastic?

Thanks as  always :-)

P.S. Where is the edit button, I can't find it?

11 minutes ago, Atlantia said:

Hi Lampoc

The crown's on Amphibia's are just plated usually aren't they? If so, it's a bit of a bonus that these Komandirskie's have stainless ones.

I guess it would be too much to hope that the bezel is stainless and the insert is anything other than plastic?

Thanks as  always :-)

P.S. Where is the edit button, I can't find it?

Some Amphibia crowns are plated, some aren't. Not sure why - these 2 models are on Meranom at exactly the same price but the sniper dial has a stainless crown while the KGB dial has a plated crown :huh:

420945-1800x1800.jpg.webpVostok_Amphibia_Morpekh_420957-01-480x48

I'm not sure if the bezels are plated/plastic (I looked at one of mine and it seems plated and plastic?) but they are cheapest non-standard ones at Meranom which should tell you a little ;)

• Like 1

Hi Lampoc

Thanks again for the helpful advice.

I've gone ahead and finally orderd that one I posted last (Vostok Komandirskie 650537).

Not from soviet market in the end, but from a guy on ebay called 'scubadudestore'.

This model seems like good value with the nice crown and bezel.

Wierdly though, this model seems to come with the 'radio room' case back? At least it looks that way in the sellers pictures.

I wonder why they used that back?

I don't suppose you know where the cheapest place to get a branded rubber dive strap for it would be?

On 31/03/2021 at 22:00, Atlantia said:

I wouldn't worry too much, there is a good supply of aftermarket bezels (stainless, brass, bronze etc) that accept Seiko inserts, so there is a huge choice of quality and style. The bezels are easy to change.

• Like 1