• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

SYE [Start Your Engine] recent launch

Dear all,

I've recently discovered your forum and wanted to share with you the recent launch of our brand.

Fueled with passion but with the will to bring something new to the market, we've developed our concept over 2.5 years to achieve a strong and deep integration between leather and steel.

Such an integration required a new system (we've called it Fastback™  system) to fasten the strap to the watch case in a simple way, holding strong and bringing a special experience just for you.

We've started with 2 models : MOT1ON Automatic 24 (mechanical automatic movement from Miyota) and MOT1ON Chronograph (meca-quartz movement from Seiko) both in 2 dials versions.

We've tried our best to design something new and appealing with best in class finishing and tried to design a strap with a unique identity.

You can have a brief look at our website to find out more : https://www.syewatches.com/pages/discover-sye-mot1on-a-premium-watch-with-a-strong-personality

I also share here some pictures if you're interested. Do not hesitate to ask your questions, I'll try my best to answer them.

Thanks for your time.

SYE-start-your-engine-automatic-24-MOT1OSYE-start-your-engine-chronograph-MOT1ONsye-start-your-engine-fastback-system-st

• Like 1

Nice enough looking watches but I think the integrated strap would put me off buying one. This will cause concern to others too. 
How much are replacement straps and how many years are you going to continue to make them? 
There’s a reason why Omega only tried this sort of strap once, on the dynamic range. I feel this will be a big downfall no matter how different you think the design is. 

Good luck with the project. 

• Like 1

Hi Roy

50 minutes ago, Roy said:

Nice enough looking watches but I think the integrated strap would put me off buying one. This will cause concern to others too. 
How much are replacement straps and how many years are you going to continue to make them? 
There’s a reason why Omega only tried this sort of strap once, on the dynamic range. I feel this will be a big downfall no matter how different you think the design is. 

Good luck with the project. 

The additional / replacement strap is €150 with a top quality, manufactured in France with Jean Rousseau. We have a deal with Jean Rousseau that will continue to sell them if something happens to the company. And thanks for the encouragment.

Design of the auto and strap is nice for me, but am I right in thinking that from new, you have to buy a watch case and strap separately? If yes, that came to a combined cost of 665. It's usual for the strap to be inclusive. It's all a bit much with subsequent straps costing 150.

• Like 1

Well, @SYEwatches, the aesthetics of the watches are quite pleasing, and I do like the strap concept; a lugless design like that tends to wear quite well on my wrist. However, like others who have posted above, I am concerned about the high price and eventual availability of replacement straps - £129 seems a hefty price for a leather strap without a clasp. 

• Like 1

Not for me I'm afraid, I will never buy a watch for my collection that has an idiosyncratic strap or bracelet.

Most manufacturers have learned the lesson the hard way and unfortunately I suspect that will be the case again here.

16 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

Well, @SYEwatches, the aesthetics of the watches are quite pleasing, and I do like the strap concept; a lugless design like that tends to wear quite well on my wrist. However, like others who have posted above, I am concerned about the high price and eventual availability of replacement straps - £129 seems a hefty price for a leather strap without a clasp. 

Hi Always watching, thanks for your feedbac.

The strap is super complex to produce but the main point is that it's built to last for a very long time with the stainless steel end piece, a 3D printed piece to make the transition between steel and leather so that the shape is staying for long without any wrinkles or damages to the leather. There is a quick change bar also attached to swap easily the clasp between the different straps (if any). It is produced in France and leathers are high end sources especially from Chanel group. Just to give a bit more details on the conception

ditto above - the inability to fit after market straps will significantly reduce the appeal of this watch to many - myself included.

assuming you did some market research on this strap type before going into production, what were the results ?

@rotundus, beyond the pure design appeal of the integration, there are many people that are not so happy about the lugs and do not find a perfect fit on the wrist (and not necessarily small wrists).

We're also working on a steel bracelet and maybe other options based on your feedback ;)

I like the automatic .!  Not sure how many times I would want to change the strap..risk of scratching the back with the metal tool and the strap price is too high for me. As a collectors piece or occasional wear I like it.

however how does leaving the EU affect the delivered price in GB ?

14 minutes ago, SYEwatches said:

... there are many people that are not so happy about the lugs and do not find a perfect fit on the wrist (and not necessarily small wrists).  ...

I presume that you did your research as to the popularity and success of the Omega Dynamic's strap ? ....

omega-vintage-geneve-st-166-0079-l.jpg

@bridgeman I guess you have to pay the VAT on top now, the automatic model is currently at €665 excluding VAT.

Regarding the risk to scratch the back, we've anodized the central screw and the aluminum head of our tool to lower the risk. You can also use an hex key if needed.

@artistmike this watch came to us in some discussions yes. To be complete on the proprietary/idiosyncratic (thanks for my vocabulary :)) we have a deal with the Manufacture Jean Rousseau that will continue to produce/sell them if something happens to SYE.

1 minute ago, SYEwatches said:

@bridgeman I guess you have to pay the VAT on top now, the automatic model is currently at €665 excluding VAT.

Regarding the risk to scratch the back, we've anodized the central screw and the aluminum head of our tool to lower the risk. You can also use an hex key if needed.

That VAT is a killer ....but I still like the design!

• Like 1

I'll stick my head over the parapet and say I also like the look of the watch, especially the chrono. I like the strap design too and I usually wear divers on bracelets but it looks kind of different and a conversation starter.

The price though is my bugbear, adding a further 20% onto a watch heading for £600/700 is too much for my wallet.

• Like 1