• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Are older SKX going to be collectable

QTM

I have a couple of SKX007 watches, one has a 7S26A movement, I believe the 7S26B was I produced in 2006-8, and the serial number starts with 8, so it's either a 1998 or 2008. I suspect the older given my history with it.

Are these SKXs more collectable or perhaps in the future people will want an older 'vintage'SKX ? 

Collectors will look for 100% original models first and foremost with no aftermarket parts, I don't think the age of the 007 will be a material factor except perhaps those in the know will probably prefer an "A" or "C" calibre to the "B" because their balance assemblies are more resistant to shocks although the A is more difficult to regulate.

There were so many made it will be interesting to see how prices develop in the coming years 

Prices are creeping, but they made millions of these over the last 15 years or so, don't expect them to become rare overnight. 

The 007/009 has become an iconic diver so it will always have a place for collectors, but I think it's destined to be an entry level watch regardless of its age.

Then again, I've just seen a nutter asking 400 quid for a 7s26 based Monster so what the hell do I know... 

• Like 1

There are a lot of nutters asking silly prices for old seiko. Take a look at old king quartz and grand quartz, sarb 33 and 35 and ks hi beats and gs hi beats. So even if it doesnt become collectable if it gets hyped on yt it will get people asking fantasy prices. Like 800 for the sarb 500 for an ordinary 0853 kq or gq or a grand for a 56ks. Its been getting daft recently. 

Whether they are selling at the hyped prices i suspect not. Most sellers either have them in stock for years or end up sending them to bids. For eg most sarb 033 035 seem to stick at 400 ish despite the askings. Dont be conned by the asking check the sale prices. 

As for will the humble skx make higher and higher money? It might do 30 year from now, but i think recent memory of rrp will keep it grounded like the sarb at maybe a ton over original rrp. I think it sticks in peoples throats to be paying higher than rrp so soon in the day. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I don't see it happening. There are just too many out there and people seem to take better care of their watches than they used as well as having multiple watches resulting in a larger volume of good/great condition watches.