Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

What are your thoughts on the Seiko SPB147J1?  Of the 1965 reinterpretations it's the one with a brownish dial on a rubber strap.

To cut to the chase I'm after a sub 1k everyday watch suitable for most occasions. That means work, gym, socialising and holidays (when we're eventually allowed again).

I already have several watches including a breitling colt, doxa sub 200, a Vostok amphibia, two gshocks etc. You'll notice that I don't have a Seiko yet so hence why I'm considering the SPB147.

I did debate about getting a nice rubber strap for the doxa but I love the beads of rice bracelet so have decided against that idea. The Colt is my "best watch" and tends to be what I reach for at weekends and meals out etc. The gshocks are great as is the Vostok but I'm after something a little more sophisticated.

Does anyone have the SPB147 that can attest to its quality? I seem to be a little unsure about dropping £900 on a Seiko and I don't know why. 

Any other suggestions or opinions will be welcome.

Thabks in advance!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to Seiko with the intention of buying this but when I tried it on it left me cold and I just felt it had no presence at all. You of course may feel differently when you try it so definitely  worth giving it a go.

I later went for the SPB185 which I absolutely love and is now one of the favourites in my 'collection'. I also managed to get it with a 20% discount which was nice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the SPB143 and I love it.

The quality is certainly at the right level for the price and the bracelet is good and comfortable too. Some online moan about the clasp but I think they just don't want to be positive about a Seiko bracelet. 

I connected with it instantly and it's probably the purest idea of a dive watch I have in my collection (and I have a fair few) and it would probably be my one watch.

It's also a strap monster. On its bracelet most of the time but stunning on a nato

2021-03-01_08-57-08

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2021 at 16:06, Jason89 said:

Hi everyone,

What are your thoughts on the Seiko SPB147J1?  Of the 1965 reinterpretations it's the one with a brownish dial on a rubber strap.

To cut to the chase I'm after a sub 1k everyday watch suitable for most occasions. That means work, gym, socialising and holidays (when we're eventually allowed again).

I already have several watches including a breitling colt, doxa sub 200, a Vostok amphibia, two gshocks etc. You'll notice that I don't have a Seiko yet so hence why I'm considering the SPB147.

I did debate about getting a nice rubber strap for the doxa but I love the beads of rice bracelet so have decided against that idea. The Colt is my "best watch" and tends to be what I reach for at weekends and meals out etc. The gshocks are great as is the Vostok but I'm after something a little more sophisticated.

Does anyone have the SPB147 that can attest to its quality? I seem to be a little unsure about dropping £900 on a Seiko and I don't know why. 

Any other suggestions or opinions will be welcome.

Thabks in advance!

I think I know why because its not a 900 quid watch the hands alone tell you that. There are much better seiko divers for that money especially used. 

Search for one of these 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F363329398305

Spb0771j

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nigelp said:

I think I know why because its not a 900 quid watch the hands alone tell you that. There are much better seiko divers for that money especially used. 

I would say that these shots are showing that the hand are not flat, but ridged along the vertical so in the metal, they catch the light well on the side that is facing the light source to good effect.

But to be fair, Christopher Ward provide excellent hands for the Tridents from £700ish+

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nigelp said:

This is a very relevant point as if you want a decent SPB, this is an excellent example for 25% less.

However if you really dig the  60's diver vibe and what it think is a slighter feel, you'll pay a bit more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, antjrice said:

This is a very relevant point as if you want a decent SPB, this is an excellent example for 25% less.

However if you really dig the  60's diver vibe and what it think is a slighter feel, you'll pay a bit more.

Glad you are happy with your watch:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, antjrice said:

Confirmation bias is no stranger to these shores :thumbsup:

Not at all, only really confirmation that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You are not at all biased just happy with what you have which is the best way to be. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nigelp said:

Not at all, only really confirmation that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You are not at all biased just happy with what you have which is the best way to be. 

I was only joshing but you're absolutely right!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No offence OP, I'm the biggest Seiko fan boy around but I'd never consider them in the "watch for under a grand" category.  They will always in my mind be in the sub £500 category, and that to me is where they excel (the Blue Lagoon, the Grey Dawn etc).

The SPB147 is a beautiful watch but all I can do is echo the above, its probably not 900 quids worth.  Each to their own, but you have almost the entire Hamilton catalogue, any Tissot model and even a good chunk of the bread and butter Longines available in that price range.    I still can't justify spending that much on a Seiko.   Hopefully it'll pass one day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...