• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Members are reminded of the forum rules:

"As a service to Members a for-sale, wanted and trade section is provided by the Forum. The rules for posting in these sub-forums are displayed in the respective header; Members must be familiar with these rules before posting. The use of the for-sale, wanted or trade section is not a right and access may be removed at any time at the Admin team's discretion without any reason given."

Those members who use the forum solely to sell or buy should not be alarmed if their access to the sales section and PM facility are removed without notice.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Members are reminded of the forum rules: "As a service to Members a for-sale, wanted and trade section is provided by the Forum. The rules for posting in these sub-forums are displayed in the res

.... Some on here would prefer if it if I used the forum purely to sell stuff and not post anything  .... so that's my last post here ever , now let me just load up those 50 old stock Casios I have ha

Another thing while we are on about kickstarters. How come they think they have created something so unique and groundbreaking. Yet have no conviction to get a loan, funding, sell the house, do whatev

.... Some on here would prefer if it if I used the forum purely to sell stuff and not post anything :laugh: .... so that's my last post here ever , now let me just load up those 50 old stock Casios I have hanging around into the sales area .... :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Can't say I've ever felt like the classified section looks like a 'shop' but I've only ever bought four or five watches (from @Roy)  and tried to sell one (without any luck)

Based on the fl-Ebay changing their payment procedure I would guess that some people would prefer to sell watches elsewhere...like the classified section. Play fair guys, stick to the rules.

31 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

now let me just load up those 50 old stock Casios I have hanging around into the sales area

Any bargains @JonnyOldBoythat I might be interested in before you get blocked? :laughing2dw:

• Haha 4
49 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

now let me just load up those 50 old stock Casios I have hanging around into the sales area

Ahem,

"Just a pathetic 4 at the moment :swoon:"

Can't believe a word. :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I know its a bone of contention but in a lot of ways a booming classifieds are an interesting part of the forum for example i used to buy the autotrader just to see what was advertised. Also ive only tended to visit tz to see whats for sale. I realise its annoying in some ways, but in others a well stocked classifieds can be a good thing for forum activity membership etc. But yes there needs to be a balance. You dont want the forum being exploited by glorified ebayers as that is a big risk. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

i used to buy the autotrader just to see what was advertised. You dont want the forum being exploited by glorified ebayers as that is a big risk. 

As you say...’you pay’ just to look!

The forums current classified facility, apart from no additional cost to the seller/buyer, offers a distinct advantage over other platforms, that it can & does deter chancers.

Similarly with kickstarter’s, the majority simply treat the Forum as a ‘free’ advertising facility, targeting a captive audience all ready in place.  
I say charge the cheeky, tight fisted b******s!!

Quid Pro Quo

Rant over(for now).

:(

Edited by Karrusel
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Karrusel said:

As you say...’you pay’ just to look!

The forums current classified facility, apart from no additional cost to the seller/buyer, offers a distinct advantage over other platforms, that it can & does deter chancers.

Similarly with kickstarter’s, the majority simply treat the Forum as a ‘free’ advertising facility, targeting a captive audience all ready in place.  

Rant over(for now).

:(

Exactly sir charge a fee. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Seconded, and hand over some non returnable products for group appraisal.

• Like 2

To elaborate and for example...I just sold a 1973 KS on the bay, nice smooth sale...it cost me £60 to sell it in fees, but the audiance is large and anticiptates a fast sale. Imagine if you could grow the sales section here and membership and charge say a fraction of that. It would benefit the forum I think.  

You do not move forward by standing still....

Edited by Nigelp
  • Like 2

I would be happy to pay a small fee to list, I mean I get a specific targeted audience and if it doesn't sell well a bit money goes to the upkeep of the forum.

It would certainly deter the classified p*ss taking...

• Like 2
Just now, Craftycockney said:

I would be happy to pay a small fee to list, I mean I get a specific targeted audience and if it doesn't sell well a bit money goes to the upkeep of the forum.

It would certainly deter the classified p*ss taking...

Me too just look what ebay charges imagine say a fixed feed say £5. 

• Like 2
Just now, Craftycockney said:

£1 p/w per listing. You choose how weeks upfront and pay for it. 

???

Yes i think its right to charge. Whatever the fee. It makes sense. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

To elaborate and for example...I just sold a 1973 KS on the bay, nice smooth sale...it cost me £60 to sell it in fees, but the audiance is large and anticiptates a fast sale. Imagine if you could grow the sales section here and membership and charge say a fraction of that. It would benefit the forum I think.  

You do not move forward by standing still....

Don’t know about you, but I joined a ‘watch forum’ principally to engage in the discussion of horology.

By opening the flood gates for sellers to tout their wares & the ensuing discussions, bartering, arguments, numpties questions...need I go on?

Not for me I’m afraid!

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Don’t know about you, but I joined a ‘watch forum’ principally to engage in the discussion of horology.

By opening the flood gates for sellers to tout their wares & the ensuing discussions, bartering, arguments, numpties questions...need I go on?

Not for me I’m afraid!

Why have a classifieds at all then. But fair point. Though surely a fee would likely as not protect the status que you desire?

Quo no pun intended....

1 minute ago, Nigelp said:

Why have a classifieds at all then. 

For those members that ‘contribute’ to forum content regularly.  Participation does offer a degree of confidence to the buyer/seller that is rarely assured on other platforms!

1 minute ago, Karrusel said:

For those members that ‘contribute’ to forum content regularly.  Participation does offer a degree of confidence to the buyer/seller that is rarely assured on other platforms!

Well let them pay for it then as you seemed to desire?

It is obviously of value. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Not for me I’m afraid!

I joined for the all above, watch banter etc but have brought & sold some decent bargains to follow watch lovers. So I guess it downs to the individual on perception of p*$$ taking the classified section. I prefer my watches staying TwF 'in-house' so to speak, it may not always end up that way but at least starts in the right direction. 

• Like 3

If I might chuck my two Bob in, the way I see it is limiting the sales section to regular contributors gives buyers and sellers the added incentive of protecting their forum relationships. Therefore every transaction, whilst not always being guaranteed, will at least be in the right spirit.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Craftycockney said:

I joined for the all above, watch banter etc but have brought & sold some decent bargains to follow watch lovers. So I guess it downs to the individual on perception of p*$$ taking the classified section. I prefer my watches staying TwF 'in-house' so to speak, it may not always end up that way but at least starts in the right direction. 

I still regret letting you have that mako xl bnib for 40 quid lol! I should have suggested 5 quid selling fees then and charged you 45! Come on it makes sense. Nothing should be free in life if it is a benefit. Too many getting off scott free. Its a Capitalist world... 

7 minutes ago, Craftycockney said:

@Roymaybe a Poll on the topic of fees?

Cracking idea make it democratic. 

• Haha 1

I have no intention of putting a compulsory fee on the sales.
The section is there for the benefit of regular contributing members.   

If people want to make a forum donation after a sale then that is up to them.

There are a few members and only a few who do just come here to sell stuff. They never donate or contribute very little to the forum.

I made the post to make these people aware that if I see their current posts and they are a majority of sales posts then I may decide to withdraw this service for them until they contribute more. 

A few of weeks ago a member who has not posted since 2010 came and put a sales ad up and then vanished again. 

I like to see a busy sales section but not as much as I prefer to see a busy forum.

I have bought and sold more watches here than anywhere else. I could sell for more on eBay but I like to keep them in the community if I can. 

This does crop up now and again and I like to have a rant to get it out of my system  

I don’t think anyone is deliberately taking advantage but if you don’t want to contribute then don’t expect to sell here.

Enuff said :laugh:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, Roy said:

I have bought and sold more watches here than anywhere else. I could sell for more on eBay but I like to keep them in the community if I can. 

This is a valuable sentiment and reason alone for have a bit of QA with regards to the use of the classifieds. 

I've listed in the classifieds before and not had a sale but I would've valued selling here over getting a few quid more on ebay just to keep the watches on the forum. 

• Like 4