• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Fears of Bristol 28k platinum watch

Watchpro describes it as showing courage, what do you think?

A small independent based in Bristol that was revived from the ashes 5 years ago, they will make maybe 4 of the 28k watch and already have one pre-order. The model is the Brunswick platinum, which looks the same as other Brunswicks. They make approx. 500 watches a year.

The cost is all to do with the case. It has a basic ETA movement with some modification. I could live with all of that, as long as it looked a bit special....

Fears-Brunswick-PT-Anthracite-and-Diamon

Watchpro article here:

Fears shows the courage to create a £28,000 platinum Brunswick watch (watchpro.com)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Pt is only $1200/oz there isn't that much in the case to justify £28k which is a 5x to 9x multiple of their usual prices  

Good luck to them if they can find buyers

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, JoT said:

Pt is only $1200/oz there isn't that much in the case to justify £28k which is a 5x to 9x multiple of their usual prices  

I think this is their justification.

The 38mm cushion-shaped platinum case is the major investment, because it is handmade by award-winning Goldsmith Justin Richardson in Canterbury and takes 100 hours of work, according to Mr Bowman-Scargill, who visited WatchPro this week to show the watch. The case has a special hallmark from the London Assay Office using the initials Mr Bowman-Scargill’s initials, NBS.

• Like 1

Thinking further on this....

Blancpain produced the caliber 64-1 (chronometer rated), which also uses the base Peseux/ETA 7001 ebauche, which, when rarely on the market, can be had for £3-5k.

Again, am I missing something?

:hmmm9uh:

• Like 3

That's a hefty move further upmarket for them.... can't see them selling myself but there's plenty with that sort of money.

I do really like the salmon dialled Brunswick but even that is a bit rich for my tastes and I'd rather spend that on other watches.

I'm pleased for them that they have the headroom to try this type of thing. 

I think it's a lovely watch and probably would if the Euromillions comes in tonight.

Their MD certainly puts the work, appearing on Scottish Watches and Redbar regularly so i find it easy to like the brand and wish them well.

2 hours ago, Caller. said:

I think this is their justification.

The 38mm cushion-shaped platinum case is the major investment, because it is handmade by award-winning Goldsmith Justin Richardson in Canterbury and takes 100 hours of work, according to Mr Bowman-Scargill, who visited WatchPro this week to show the watch. The case has a special hallmark from the London Assay Office using the initials Mr Bowman-Scargill’s initials, NBS.

Still doesn't add up IMO " Justin Richardson custom engagement ring starts from as little as £1,000 and takes around three to four weeks to complete." based on this from his website his (or his minions') time is not that expensive

Still I wish them well and hope they sell

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Nice but there are better options if I was spending anywhere near that money!

Without a doubt! 

If I was in the market to spend £28,000 on a watch...sadly I'm not, but this brand would not make it on the first draft of a list. 

Horological hubris, or horological folly?...either way...very brave for a new / old brand.

If I was spending 28 grand on something i didnt need...it would be a house. A small house in lancashire or yorkshire to rent out. Not a watch not any watch. Id have to be someones fool. 

11 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Just make sure the BMW does not have a Cam-Chain problem.... There you go, APs don't have Cam-Chain problems....

Don't believe everything you read on the tinternet

:whistle:

My Beamer is twenty years old on the original motor, starts up on the button and not the slightest hint or murmur of cam chain issues but those AP's have that dodgy hex head screwdriver slot fastening thing going on

As the yanks say "Go Figure" 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

8 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Don't believe everything you read on the tinternet

:whistle:

My Beamer is twenty years old on the original motor, starts up on the button and not the slightest hint or murmur of cam chain issues but those AP's have that dodgy hex head screwdriver slot fastening thing going on

As the yanks say "Go Figure" 

Now come on give the man a chance, dont be so harsh. For the price of the AP we can buy 10 bmws like yours and 5 like mine. And when you crawl under all the fixings are high tensile steel. And will still spin off with a 10 mil socket after 16years. And its just a BMW.. 

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Now come on give the man a chance, dont be so harsh. For the price of the AP we can buy 10 bmws like yours and 5 like mine. And when you crawl under all the fixings are high tensile steel. And will still spin off with a 10 mil socket after 16years. And its just a BMW.. 

If you have a look at the Bremont video that @Caller. posted they take you to their machine shop which show you some kit that machines their watch cases are machined in all the while commenting on the F1 connection.

Fair play but I've worked on a few machines that had bar feeds, could turn, mill and drill and could knock out  in a shift oparts in any material, to tolerances of a couple of microns, hundreds of parts as small as watch cases. 

Random comment but hey ho I have a feeling that Jim the Jap Gin is a bit stronger than they advertise 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

If you have a look at the Bremont video that @Caller. posted they take you to their machine shop which show you some kit that machines their watch cases are machined in all the while commenting on the F1 connection.

Fair play but I've worked on a few machines that had bar feeds, could turn, mill and drill and could knock out  in a shift oparts in any material, to tolerances of a couple of microns, hundreds of parts as small as watch cases. 

Random comment but hey ho I have a feeling that Jim the Jap Gin is a bit stronger than they advertise 

Massive profit obviously in these things, your ordinary people know that....problem is the ones who think they know tend to be, how can i put it? A bit daft? A bit blinded by self superiority? A bit posh? Not worldly wise? Not street wise. Id like to take half of the lot on here down Burnley Miners Club...again same answer "more money than sense". GUILE thats the word.