• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Davey P's Father in Law - RIP "Big Den"

Just got back from a few days on the Isle of Wight attending the funeral of my lovely Father in Law, "Big Den".  Needless to say Ruthie is devastated, especially given the fact that she couldn't see her Dad in his final few months during the Covid lockdown while he was in a care home.  This was also hard for me, after losing my Dad just a couple of months ago, it all felt very familiar.

Anyway, since this is a watch forum, I thought I'd share details of a few watches that I was allowed to take away while the family were sorting through some of his possessions (nobody in the family is remotely interested in watches, so it made sense for me to have them).

I've taken a few quick photos (please excuse the DNA, but I wanted to show them "as found", prior to me cleaning them up):

(1) Sekonda made in USSR automatic 25 jewels in silver, on a nice bracelet, but clasp is broken.  Won't wind, and not working.

20210326_172226

(2) Ingersoll 17 jewel lever, manual wind, non-hacking, in silver with a brushed silver dial.  Watch head only, so needs a strap or bracelet.  Working fine and keeping good time.

20210326_172245

(3) Ramona 25 jewels Incabloc automatic, non-hacking, in gold with a cream dial.  On a stretchy bracelet.  Working fine and keeping good time.

20210326_172321

(4) Seiko 5 automatic, non hacking, in silver with blue dial, and day/date.  Working fine and keeping good time.

20210326_172352

(5) Un-named pocket watch, silver case, with a key attached.  Don't know if it works, as I've no idea how to wind or adjust it... :whistle:

20210326_172421

(6) Claude Valentini quartz - Horrible, and looks ready for the bin! :laugh:

20210326_172433

Ruthie will wear the gold Ramona, and I will wear the Seiko and Ingersoll.  They just need a good clean, and the Ingersoll needs a strap :thumbsup:

As always, any comments welcome :biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

My condolences to you both.  These things are never easy anyway and seem especially difficult during lockdown.

I understand how your wife feels, I went through the same with my own father last year and couldn't even attend his funeral.

I too have inherited a similar eclectic collection of watches, pocket watches and stop watches.  With about the same level of DNA attached.  That's actually the easiest bit to fix.  I'm sure that you'll have some lovely keepsakes after the application of a bit of elbow grease - it's actually a satisfying thing to do and a nice way to pay respects.

I can't imagine what you've been through over these last few months mate.

Thanks for taking the time to share what these events have brought forward in terms of the watches these fine chaps owned and the stories they could hold.

Sorry to hear about your loss - I experienced a lockdown funeral recently too & it was so sad for a much loved relative to be buried with only one blood relative present (me) & five in total present (no travel allowed for her family in NI & ROI)
Enjoy looking after Big Den's lovely hoard ...

Condolences to you all, it’s so tough at the present time 

my mum got taken to a & e sat drove to meet her before the ambulance as I too have not seen my mum for a year and wasn’t going to miss her as non visits etc ...now moved to a hospice and can visit .. it’s tough for her but better than the hospital.. at least I had this chance to meet .. must be extremely upsetting for you all..  

lots of love to you all  take care. :)

Very hard times, my thoughts are with you and your family. We lost a close family member to covid last summer and didn't get a chance to say goodbye.

I dread it happening again, but know that we, and you are not alone. Those keepsakes will be treasured and I'm sure in time will stir up happy memories only x. Keep well :)

Guys, thank you so much for all the kind comments, I really appreciate it.

News on the watches: I checked this morning and the gold Ramona is still running and keeping time to within 1 minute, which is brilliant :yahoo:  The Seiko stopped at 12:35 and after a good shake it runs, but probably needs a service and a new crystal.  The Ingersoll stopped at 9:55, and after a few winds it's running again, so again could probably benefit from a service and new crystal.  The others are... er.... still not working :laugh:

• Like 1