• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Divers on leather

Since it takes less than a minute to change a strap, and one does not restrict the wearing of depth rated watches to the ocean or the pool, I don't see why it is impossible to be comfortable - physically and aesthetically - with a leather strap on a 'diver', and put it on something waterproof when you go somewhere wet.

These both look great, IMHO, why would you want to restrict possibilities?

Sif NART black brown calf.jpg

Sif NART black rubber orange.jpg

J

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CB200 said:

It's a bit like having sporty low profile wheels on a Land Rover; they look cool and probably fine for your use, but still a contradiction that I couldn't get past. 

Just modified for the environment that they will both be used in. Let's face it, most divers wont even go in the shower and most range rovers wont even see a blade of grass!

• Like 4

Got a Seiko root beer mod sitiing on my desk for the last month waiting for a leather strap. It looked odd with anything else and i tried quite a few diffferent types of strap. A mid-brown/grey nubuck is coming in the post this week and finally I'll get to wear and enjoy this thing.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

Leather straps AND bezels..

Be honest.. admit how much MI5 paid you to start a topic designed to give me the heeby jeebies. 

3 hours ago, carlgulliver said:

You will never know :bash:

Well you see I thought about that last night - if you really want to put your sub on a leather strap without attracting the wrong kind of comments, just pry the bezel off first.

This is a hybrid strap I believe. It seems short, but I am on the middle hole, and not much tail, so it won't go over my rubber suit.

1991827216_IMG_20210328_135729639(1)2(1)(1).thumb.jpg.9a656971ba559940cb22b704df384e4c.jpg

But I really like it on this watch that I was going to sell, and between the vintage compressor case and the hybrid nylon / leather strap, it would probably be perfectly safe to do the washing up.  But I'll stick with the dishwasher anyway.

It came with two keepers but the floating one seemed supernumerary.

IMG_20210328_142337987(1)(1).thumb.jpg.a26490ed2c3993244cf7d9ca421acc10.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have nearly 100 nato straps which I know is a bit silly but hey ho. However my fad has turned to leather. The vintage worn leather look on a tool watch is superb. This theory that you shouldnt have a leather strap on a watch that is designed for diving is BS. 

Even if you werent a watch fanatic, it would make perfect sense to have one well made dive watch on a soft beautiful leather strap to then change it for a rubber or silicone for the weekend sport dive. 

If your a commercial diver you dont need a watch. The oooooooo imagine having leather on a water watch, utter p*sh. Oooooooooo imagine having a watch that can go to 600m so it can sit at your desk all day when you send emails!

Watches arent for telling time, they are for history, gifts, interest, to make you feel like a Marine or a fighter pilot or a ball room dancer what ever floats your boat. 

If you like it do it. 

On 27/03/2021 at 10:49, artistmike said:

Someone gave me this Steinhart Shark strap once, which I tend to put on this Divex watch as it seems apposite. I don't think that I'd buy a Sharkskin normally, but I'm generally happy to wear leather straps on diver's watches as I'm definitely not going to use them for diving at my age, and I like straps...  :biggrin:

51074929143_58688c0e1b_o.jpg

"Shark" is the key word here. It definitely should go back 'into' the water or be put in a position where it might have that chance :thumbsup:

Just jesting... it matches the watch well.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, GezzaT said:

Anything but leather on a diver, sorry to be negative but just seems wrong, thing is I do dive with my dive watches and salt water would just kill those straps.

Gezza

Most people (even on this thread) don't go diving wearing their watches (muff excluded) - As you do, I hope you only do so with a Nato or similar strap? - I would be pretty hacked off if one of the springbars failed & my precious watch sank to the bottom of the sea :bash:

18 hours ago, PaulBoy said:

Most people (even on this thread) don't go diving wearing their watches (muff excluded) - As you do, I hope you only do so with a Nato or similar strap? - I would be pretty hacked off if one of the springbars failed & my precious watch sank to the bottom of the sea :bash:

I was fishing off my pier and watched my aquaracer as it pinged off and plonked into the ocean. :wacko: :rip_1:

• 3 weeks later...