• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New Rado - too small or just right?

Afternoon folks.  The delivery man has just been and brought me a watch I've wanted for ages.

This is the Rado diastar ceramic, but instead of the traditional black ceramic with gold bars this is the platinum ceramic with titanium bars.
I like Rado and I've had a couple of the black models but honestly I think the black ones can look a bit naff now, I wanted something more modern looking.

This is model 160.0484.3, listed as unisex on most of the websites, I'm not really sure about it. 

Here are some wrist shots, feel free to chuck stones at me while I mull on it, I'll be back with a bit more on it later.  :biggrin:20210330-134553.jpg20210330-134502.jpg

20210330-134544.jpg20210330-134510.jpg

• Like 6

I am a bit of a Rado fan and I also like square/rectangular watches. I must admit, there have been quite a number of versions of the Diastar and I just don't know which one I'd choose. A rather tasty pre-owned example came up on Catawiki when I had a look at them after first reading your post, ironically with the same model number as your own example but with different dial markers and a polished steel bracelet made up of hexagonal links.  I do like your watch Kev, and I agree with it'salivejim about the size of it on your wrist. So wear it with pride and collect my congratulations on choosing a Rado rather than something overly mainstream.:)

• Like 1

I think the size question is similar to those who try and dictate that you shouldnt take water or ice in your whisky etc. I think its a bit BS. 

Im quite chunky and have just over 7.5" wrists. My smallest watch is my late grandfathers Timor 1950's windup. Absolutlely a mans watch of the time but only 31mm on a 16mm strap. My largest is a TW Steel jumbo at 48mm on a 24mm strap which my kids call the 'clock'. 

I think the design and look on an individual is more significant than the size and that is probably more to do with your outfit and the occasion. But then im thinking in steriotypes as we do. Dress watch to a wedding, Diver with shorts to the beach etc. Sometimes thats practical and other times is what we all think is correct. Do you want to follow the path or blaze your own trail. None of us are really here because we need a watch to tell the time were mostly watch nerds that search out the detail of something because were into the hobbie. Im wearing a Seiko Tuna today on a leather NATO. Not sure its the pretiest looking thing but it was designed in 1975 when I was born and has a wave dial so I bought it while I was doing a tidal energy module at night class. Is it the right size? Does it go with my skin tone? Does it make my bum look big? Doesnt really matter I like it and have my reasons for buying it. 

I have a RADO Hyper chrome, bit bling for me so it doesnt get out much. I like your square one, love the date at the bottom which I would keep set to the 6th in my OCD way. Looks super sharp. Does it suit you? I dont care im interested in your watch and what its about for you and if there is any reason I need to buy one aswell, not if you have nice arms or not.  :biggrin:

Cheers

I think the size is fine but I think if you're not happy now, you may never be. I have spent time in the past trying to like watches I wasn't immediate struck by and it doesn't happen often. So if you're not 100%, it may be worth keeping it in new condition (if applicable) so you can return it and grab something else you really like! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I must be the odd one out 

Way to small on your wrist. 

I Think it looks like a toy watch with a bracelet belonging to a different watch. The material may be futuristic but not for me. Sorry but you did ask.. 

• Like 1

For me it looks elegant, refined and must be comfortable to wear, especially under a shirt cuff.  Something a bit different, which is always nice in my book. I like it :thumbsup:

Size is, as we all know, a changing fashion thing...at least as far as watches are concerned...  :huh::laugh: When we're confident and like what we like we can wear whatever size we like, whatever anyone else thinks...:tumbleweed:

19 hours ago, Dilly said:

I think the design and look on an individual is more significant than the size and that is probably more to do with your outfit and the occasion.

this ^

nothing worse than other peoples opinion - in my opinion :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To me, small watches remind me of pre-60s pieces. 

I don't think that back then they bothered with what was trendy. They just wanted something to tell the time.

If it keeps going, in 100 years time we might be strapping alarm clocks to our arms.

I like it. 

I've worn it most of this week. I'm still not convinced it looks right as an everyday watch, but regardless of that I've bought the matching chronograph. :teethsmile::laugh:

Great dress watch, I can't go to the pub or out for a meal so no harm done, both of these watches together cost me what I spend a month in wetherspoons  :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chronograph arrived yesterday, very very impressive post time, I only ordered it Thursday lunchtime and Friday was a bank holiday!!

Anyway, it's miles bigger than baby brother;

20210403-162055.jpg

Torn now. I don't really want them both, I love the Platinum Ceramic for the colour but I prefer the heft of the bigger chrono.

I'm probably going to put them both on ebay, sell one and keep the loser.   :yes:

20210403-163531.jpg