• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I waste quite a lot of time idly looking at various watch websites (I suspect that this is a common trait on this forum...) and there are lots of watches trying to tempt me by identifying themselves with motoring (Bremont Jaguar), or a sport of some kind, being an astronaut, or something military. OK, I can see why astronauts needed accurate time pieces, and the military, and the fact that those required standards of accuracy are desirable. But I'm not an astronaut, I've never been in the military, I drive a car as infrequently as I can, and I can't stand England rugby.

What would really persuade me to buy a watch would be something that appealed to the ageing hippy, retired school-teacher, former chess-player, classical musician, touring cyclist, half-hearted gardener. Something laid-back and comfortable - the horological equivalent of some leather patches on an old tweed jacket.

What off-beat selling points would tempt you?

That is quite a board list:

'the ageing hippy, retired school-teacher, former chess-player, classical musician, touring cyclist, half-hearted gardener. Something laid-back and comfortable - the horological equivalent of some leather patches on an old tweed jacket'

My default answer for you my friend is a G-Shock. If all else fails a G-Shock will most likely not!. 

May not seem like the correct answer now but have a think on it....

:thumbsup:

As for me I'm about the calm, simple looking watch faces which are easy to read, thin enough to get under my sleeve, accurate enough to keep me on time, have enough watch heritage to stand the test of time and most importantly makes me happy & content everytime I look down at my wrist!

21 minutes ago, Wowbagger said:

I waste quite a lot of time idly looking at various watch websites (I suspect that this is a common trait on this forum...) and there are lots of watches trying to tempt me by identifying themselves with motoring (Bremont Jaguar), or a sport of some kind, being an astronaut, or something military. OK, I can see why astronauts needed accurate time pieces, and the military, and the fact that those required standards of accuracy are desirable. But I'm not an astronaut, I've never been in the military, I drive a car as infrequently as I can, and I can't stand England rugby.

What would really persuade me to buy a watch would be something that appealed to the ageing hippy, retired school-teacher, former chess-player, classical musician, touring cyclist, half-hearted gardener. Something laid-back and comfortable - the horological equivalent of some leather patches on an old tweed jacket.

What off-beat selling points would tempt you?

How about a sundial? :whistling:

Did you have a watch when you were younger that you wish you had now?

Go find it :)

I actually remember my dad saving up all these old coupons from inside cigarette packets and sending away for a watch once he collected about 100 million of them. The watch is long gone now but I remembered it and looked for it and found one. It is so cheap but its one of my favourite watches. 

Those types of selling points that you talked about sometimes annoy me too. They scream "buy me if you belong to that group" (although I have a couple :tongue:). 

14 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

Did that when someone started one of those threads before - "what was your first watch?" sort of thing. Went looking for a picture and found one attached to a for sale ad pretty cheap so just bought it. Dinky little hand wind Timex that looked pretty chunky and cool ..... when I was about 6

p?i=170afba64ef1b88db463b053a636c070

..maybe a bit on the small side now with 16mm lugs and all. Originally supplied on a navy blue tropic iirc.

I wonder what that would look like on a chunky metal strap.

I'm looking for a watch I had at 21, vague memory but it will pop out at me at some point. In the mean time I'll just continue to look through watches and build a little collection of things that take my fancy.

1 hour ago, SolaVeritate said:

I actually remember my dad saving up all these old coupons from inside cigarette packets and sending away for a watch once he collected about 100 million of them. The watch is long gone now but I remembered it and looked for it and found one. It is so cheap but its one of my favourite watches. 

Those types of selling points that you talked about sometimes annoy me too. They scream "buy me if you belong to that group" (although I have a couple :tongue:). 

I recall my first watch - and Ingersoll something-or-other which I had at primary school in the early 1960s. When that died, I had a Sekonda. I don't recall the going of that, but I have no recollection whatever of owning a watch when I was at teacher training college (1972-1975). I did buy a Seiko quartz jobbie for about £70 (I think - although my take-home pay was only about £130 a month so that does seem a bit excessive...) in something like 1976. I initially bought a quartz watch with LED display, but you needed to press a button to tell the time, and within days of buying them, they button ceased to function, so I got my money back. I've hunted for that Seiko but without success, although i did find the box it was sold in. Successive house moves (the last time in 1994) mean that there has been ample opportunity for stuff to get lost or inadvertently chucked out.

Come to think of it, that Seiko was almost certainly a 1990s purchase. I definitely had an early solar powered Casio LCD watch when I was in the Civil Service (late 1980s). I recall its charging capacity was so dire that I had to leave it in the office (south-facing) window for a good deal of each day for it to be able to charge up enough in the winter. I'm sure I must have had a watch of some description in the 1970s and 1980s when I was teaching, but I have no recollection of it whatever. I used to do a lot of cycling and I recall a timed 100 mile ride in (definitely) 1981 when my bike was equipped with a 'cyclometer" - the thing on the front wheel that went tick. That was long before Cateye bike computers were a thing. I recall it was touch and go if I got in in time - the distance recording device was inaccurate and told me that I had done only 95 miles when we finished but I had 10 minutes to spare. I had to get round in 8 hours. I still have the certificate for that ride.

On 30/03/2021 at 14:07, Wowbagger said:

I spend quite a lot of time carrying out important research, looking at various watch websites 

Thought I'd better correct that for you. :laughing2dw:

• Like 1

Off-beat selling points? Quirky case!  I love an ellipse case (omega Dynamic, fortis Skylark etc).  My favourite case design recently is the Bulova Curv,  I do think they are expensive though for the sake of a slightly bent case... 

2 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I want a white dialled manual wind, no date, classic looking but not an obvious heritage watch, 39-ish mm ,  SS , batons not numbers and no gothic or germanic hands ...... for less than 4 grand. 

your easiley pleased john:laugh:

off beatselling points " a big discount on a rolex stainless sports model":laugh:

deano

On 30/03/2021 at 08:20, Craftycockney said:

:thumbsup:

most importantly makes me happy & content everytime I look down at my wrist!

That criteria is HIGHLY subjective and only you can answer it.

On 30/03/2021 at 08:20, Craftycockney said:

Everything you listed about yourself screams Vintage or vintage inspired to me. Something classic and simple. Maybe a field watch, the quintessential Hamilton field maybe. You can get any strap you want frankly, so don't choose a watch based on what strap it comes on, that would be ridiculous. I'm thinking something vintage Russian maybe, like one of those old 70s/80s "TV" shaped watches. Then a GShock added for the cycling and gardening.

From there if you're willing to spend the dough any modern Tudor would fit the bill as well.

On 31/03/2021 at 18:51, JonnyOldBoy said:

I want a white dialled manual wind, no date, classic looking but not an obvious heritage watch, 39-ish mm ,  SS , batons not numbers and no gothic or germanic hands ...... for less than 4 grand. 

I didn’t even know you liked pre-loved JLCs  :tongue::Snore:

• Haha 1