• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New Editions Mido Ocean Star 2021

Thanks for  posting this,  I hope they are in stock in Bangkok when I am there in about ten days,  mind you, I'm there for a fortnight. I really liked last years offerings and pretty much tried them all on. All well made,  well fitted, easy wear watches, I just wish they would colour code the date and day windows.

I do like these vintage inspired divers. I do feel that the thick end of £1000 for one is a bit rich though. Perhaps its just me not seeing the value, but there are a ton of 40mm dive watches out there and these don't stand out significantly from the crowd. I think that if it was a Kickstarter we'd probably all be saying that, but from an established brand its all good...

Edited by al_kaholik

Nice enough, although the me-too explosion in diver watches is turning such designs into the equivalent of just another dress watch.  I do wish there was rather more originality in design across the market. Examples of a bit more effort having been put in (eg Sinn U50, Breitling Superocean Heritage '57, Rado Captain Cook...) are few IMHO.

3 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

Nice enough, although the me-too explosion in diver watches is turning such designs into the equivalent of just another dress watch.  I do wish there was rather more originality in design across the market. Examples of a bit more effort having been put in (eg Sinn U50, Breitling Superocean Heritage '57, Rado Captain Cook...) are few IMHO.

I agree but then everyone still buys the more derivative designs so that's what people bring to.market.

• Like 1

My favourite of those you show is the one in what I would call "military green"; very nice. 

I have to admit though that I too am suffering from "dive watch malaise" whereby I say to myself "Oh No, Not Again!" when I see a new dive watch in the same old classic style, and yet can't help liking some of these models enough to desire them for my collection.:biggrin: 

• Like 2

Has anyone bought out a modern diver design that has caught people's attention?

I'm a big fan of the Formex Reef, but other than that, I honestly can't think of any. I don't like the new Omega 300s for example. Maybe the Ming Diver but again it's not for me.

Oh, the Ulysse Nardin Diver 42 & Unimatic Modello Uno are both nice but still a bit retro inspired.

4 hours ago, Rotundus said:

nice if derivative ,potentially aesthetically more pleasing without the day / date imho.

sorry , only just spotted the horrible error of my earlier port :laughing2dw:

i assume my lack of love for days and contrasting dates is quite well known ...

Nice but not overly special with regards to the blue / green; really like the black / gold on SS though; i do have a soft spot for a vintage inspired diver, they make up over half of my rabble. At £850 (and maybe a haggle to be had it sits an a bit of a void price point wise but seemingly not bad VFM.

22 hours ago, Jonesinamillion said:

At £850 (and maybe a haggle to be had it sits an a bit of a void price point wise but seemingly not bad VFM.

To be honest, given that Mido is the company that has produced these, the price to me seems pretty reasonable. They are no slouches in the watch game and the movement is a pretty decent offering. As you say not bad VFM at all ! ... :yes:

• Like 3