UK Watch Forum banner

If you had £600 ish to buy a Seiko

990 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  WRENCH 
#1 ·
Hi all,

As a small time collector, when a sell a watch usually I am planning on buying a new one, and I am in the lucky position to spend £600 to £700 (possible slightly more or less if the watch is just right). As Seiko is my preferred brand on this purchase I am strongly looking at a Seiko Alpinist European Exclusive Emerald Gray SPB197J1, this seems to be available at few sellers. My criteria is that, as you know, sometimes you just don't take to a watch and when this happens I usually sell it on. It is funny, some of my watches have been with me for years and I would never sell, but some pass by and go. I never look to make money (nice when this happens though) and I was wondering would this watch return a reasonable amount in the future, if kept original and in good condition. And all things considered, if you had this amount to spend what would you buy? I am asking this as a bit of fun, and we all like to dream about the next watch, but also to look at alternatives that I have not considered. As I said my criteria is to get some of the chunk of cash back, along the way if its not a stayer.

Thanks.

#3 ·
The LE Glacier Alpinist arrived to me today for pretty much the same price as the 197. First impressions are that the more subdued dial makes it appear a little smaller, it all looks very crisp and wears very comfortably and close to the wrist. It's giving the sense of being very versitile as dressy or casual. There's more I could say but it's been said a hundred times before in other reviews. So far I like it a lot. It's a bit unusual.

#6 ·
Thanks all, food for thought ! The Alpinist does have the wow factor at the moment, but a decent Seiko divers watch should also be in everyone's Seiko collection too ! Any more suggestions more than welcome and thanks again for your thoughts.

#7 ·
To wet your appetite on what I said earlier.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiko-Grand-Quartz-4843-8050-Vintage-Day-Date-SS-quartz-Mens-Watch-Auth-Works-/324488198493?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=CjwKCAjwu5CDBhB9EiwA0w6sLeqarVl_U-Sx5kOrTwi9xcIRqQBqBegST_ViIzTx88NiHLT4n7YOURoCFIQQAvD_BwE

10 seconds a month accuracy makes this better than chronometer spec, and a handsome dress piece for £374.

Plus a 5 sports or the like? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seiko-Analogue-Automatic-Stainless-SRPD59K1/dp/B07WHQGMH7/ref=asc_df_B07WGMTVRL/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=375498834710&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9224009531997162345&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045736&hvtargid=pla-817820243753&th=1&ref=&adgrpid=74214260142

Thrills and spills Avocado which will do 99% of what most people will throw at a diver, £175

= £549. I'll take the £51 as commission :thumbsup: and you get to have £100 to spend on straps and the like. Lots of value to be had second hand on these.

#9 ·
Seiko, is my thing - Just love the old divers watches. I just picked up a vintage H558 5000 commonly nicknamed the "Arnie' for less than £500 an absolute bargain - Just happened to be browsing at the exact moment it popped up for sale!

How about vintage? They hold value well, look great and are easily sold on

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font

Attachments

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
I took the plunge and bought the Alpinist, I found a 20% off Easter discount and that made my mind up. Thanks for all the advice, already saving for my next watch ! Its is in my album if you want a sneaky peek as wouldn't upload here somehow. Also my first Seiko in there also, bought about 1980, I could help with identification of this watch as I didn't keep the paperwork. Its not working at the moment but looked inside, nothing seems out of order too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.