• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Ingersoll and Limit watches left to me. Any thoughts please?

Aidan1971

Hi and thanks for reading my post.

As a new person to this forum I came here from cleaning up and trying to restore 6 watches left to me from a man I used to garden for. He died in his late 90s.

Some are identifiable by online research and are Swatch, Sekonda Quartz and Casio.

The other two, which are favourites, are wind-up Limit and Ingersoll watches. I attached photos.

They are in good working order..., and I am drawn to the red pointer tipped seconds hand! I like the wear and tear on them, too.

Any light on origin or date?

Thanks so much.

Aidan.

IMG_0822

I'm pretty sure that a number of more long-term members of the Forum will know that I have a soft spot for Limit watches, partly because they were the first brand of watch that I collected - both new and pre-owned.

Limit watches are still going, and today they are an idiosyncratic British brand majoring on budget quartz watches mainly with a vintage flavour. The brand has a long history and began in 1910 if my memory serves me well. They have been part of the British watch group, Time Products, for quite a while now, where they sit alongside Sekonda and Accurist. I am never ashamed to wear a Limit watch even if they are right at the budget end of the equation. 

The Ingersoll brand is more well-known than Limit, and I suggest that a look online will produce a lot of information about its history. Leaving aside the usual Wikipedia contribution, I suggest that you take a look at the article on Kronos 24 entitled, "History of Ingersoll Watches" which can be accessed at kronos24.com/history-of-ingersoll-watches

As for the date of your two watches, the Ingersoll example is probably from about the middle of the 1950s whereas the rather nice Limit watch dates to about 1965.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

I'm pretty sure that a number of more long-term members of the Forum will know that I have a soft spot for Limit watches, partly because they were the first brand of watch that I collected - both new and pre-owned.

Limit watches are still going, and today they are an idiosyncratic British brand majoring on budget quartz watches mainly with a vintage flavour. The brand has a long history and began in 1910 if my memory serves me well. They have been part of the British watch group, Time Products, for quite a while now, where they sit alongside Sekonda and Accurist. I am never ashamed to wear a Limit watch even if they are right at the budget end of the equation. 

The Ingersoll brand is more well-known than Limit, and I suggest that a look online will produce a lot of information about its history. Leaving aside the usual Wikipedia contribution, I suggest that you take a look at the article on Kronos 24 entitled, "History of Ingersoll Watches" which can be accessed at kronos24.com/history-of-ingersoll-watches

As for the date of your two watches, the Ingersoll example is probably from about the middle of the 1950s whereas the rather nice Limit watch dates to about 1965.

Thank you so much. Most appreciated.

Aidan.

• Thanks 1

I have put a new strap on the Ingersoll. I'm really enjoying wearing this watch. So much digital junk out there now - fitness trackers, etc. There is something timeless, beautiful and serene about the high-pitched gentle ticking of an instrument made 66 years ago.

thumbnail

• Like 2