• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Which option would you go with?

Evening all.

I am new to the forum but, as a watch fan, I am looking forward to spending time on this forum and learning more.

I have always been a one watch guy and have sold before buying new. Over the years I have even tried ceramic in the Dark Side of the Moon and Planet Ocean Black.

I am now keen to start a collection and looking to kick it off with a circa £5k purchase but torn between several models. I am a watch wearer and don’t buy as an investment. The models O have looked at are:

IWC - Spitfire Chrono or Spitfire automatic. I think the latter may be too small for my 7.25 inch wrist.

I have also looked at the Mark 18 and I love the simple design. I am just slightly put off by the fact that this model will likely get the in-house movement treatment in the not to distant future.

Or do I spread the £5k across two Tudor models?

Or wait and take a look at the new Omega Seamaster 300?

Or a Nomos?

Other models I have looked at are the JLC Polaris and Glashutte Original SEAQ but both are beyond the budget at present.

I’d appreciate any advice. Thank you.

My NOMOS Orion Neomatik 41 Date is my favourite watch:

• A lovely, classy, easy to read dial, which catches the light. 
  • At 41mm it fits nicely on my 6.7” wrist.
  • Thin and very light for its size. 
  • A quick set date function.
  • At £3300, relatively cheap for an innovative movement. 

0360_orion_neomatik_41_d-2d-front-masked

Edited by Polyfun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Agent Black Cat said:

I am a watch wearer and don’t buy as an investment.

That's a good start, all your choices are good, so I'd go for what you like best.

Also, my wrist is larger than yours, and my preferred watch size is 34-36 mm. There is no rule book regarding watch size to wrist ratio, and no one has laughed at me, yet. :laughing2dw:

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, scottswatches said:

Rather than the IWC, have a look at Sinn

Same movement, great quality and lower price point.

THIS ,,,, IWC are vastly overpriced. Sinn are bang on. Omega Seamaster is also money very well spent.

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

That's a good start, all your choices are good, so I'd go for what you like best.

Also, my wrist is larger than yours, and my preferred watch size is 34-36 mm. There is no rule book regarding watch size to wrist ratio, and no one has laughed at me, yet. :laughing2dw:

The Mark 18, despite not yet being the Spitfire in-house movement, is my current favourite. I like the Arabic numerals and it’s simple classic design.

2 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

THIS ,,,, IWC are vastly overpriced. Sinn are bang on. Omega Seamaster is also money very well spent.

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Thank you. I wish I could see some Sinns in person. The other option I did look at is the Doxa C-Graph which is another Chronograph.

9 minutes ago, Agent Black Cat said:

The Mark 18, despite not yet being the Spitfire in-house movement, is my current favourite. I like the Arabic numerals and it’s simple classic design.

Thank you. I wish I could see some Sinns in person. The other option I did look at is the Doxa C-Graph which is another Chronograph.

Of course you can get IWC watches at a decent discount ... mooch about the independents and 20% is easily achievable ... then they make more sense ... 10% off is about standard from Sinn ... more if you shop about. But agreed its not a great time to buy-without-try.

Maybe just buy the one you like best. In time, you will add to your collection so play the long game and don't have any regrets about your purchase.

Owning both an IWC and an Omega, they are both great brands although I tend to think IWC is a brand that only watch enthusiasts really know and appreciate. 

Just wait until you discover Panerai and Zenith and other lesser known brands.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Agent Black Cat said:

What about a Grand Seiko? Are you fans? I had looked at the Seiko SLA043 limited edition too. Medium beat movement.

I could never spend that kind of money on a Seiko. I did once and immediately regretted it.

• Sad 1

If it were my $5k I'd go with one Tudor, probably a black bay with the gold tone accents, steel case and black dial/bezel insert and I'd throw it in a nice Geckota leather strap with 4mm gradual taper.

That would be about $3kish

Then I'd do a Christopher Ward C60 Trident GMT, blue dial.

That takes you to about $4k

Finally I'd finish it off with a White dial, because no collection is complete without one black, blue and white dial in it... To go with everything most men wear. For this I chose a quartz because I think sometimes it's more important to have a watch you can just pick up and go with. And for this I already have mine... Tag Heuer Formula 1 chrono. This one also serves as a somewhat vintage piece which I think is also important.

6 hours ago, JayDeep said:

If it were my $5k I'd go with one Tudor, probably a black bay with the gold tone accents, steel case and black dial/bezel insert and I'd throw it in a nice Geckota leather strap with 4mm gradual taper.

That would be about $3kish

Then I'd do a Christopher Ward C60 Trident GMT, blue dial.

That takes you to about $4k

Finally I'd finish it off with a White dial, because no collection is complete without one black, blue and white dial in it... To go with everything most men wear. For this I chose a quartz because I think sometimes it's more important to have a watch you can just pick up and go with. And for this I already have mine... Tag Heuer Formula 1 chrono. This one also serves as a somewhat vintage piece which I think is also important.

Thank you. The one watch I had which I most regret selling was the Omega Dark Side of the Moon. It’s got up in price a fair bit since I bought it. Knowing what I know now, if I still had £8,500 to spend on one watch (I don’t). I would  have to go with the SeaQ or Fifty Fathoms.

All solid choices. The IWC mk series is an absolute design classic and my favourite of your picks but I'd probably look for one s/h.

Spend the rest on a Nomos.

You can't go wrong though if you aren't looking to make or hold value, just pick your favourite designs.

I had looked at the snowflake too. And the 2020 grey dial high beat. For a quartz the Grey Beast looked lively but I see GS discontinued it last year but kept the black / yellow option. The White Birch also looks a lovely watch. So much choice.