• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wearing this for the morning after moving it onto my favourite strap yesterday. '64 / '64 Poljot 3017 column wheel chronograph. HAGD

RLT 69 this morning .

Morning Smiths Saturday for me, Smiths 'Everest' PRS-25 (Cal: Miyota 9039)

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Bow said:

the most basic mechanical watches just have more character

It's true - just sold a Seiko solar quartz that was eminently fit for purpose as an expedition watch, 200m WR, resin shroud, great lume, no battery worries, looks classic, but no 'soul' somehow.  I do like my old quartz watches, going back 30 plus years, and even my digital Pro-trek, with all the scratches and burrs from when I fell off my skateboard, so maybe they have started to acquire soul?  I do like my Elliott Brown quartz watches, and I think that is something to do with the fact that they are built by watch guys who are trying to inject something into them - make them a stalwart companion - almost like a proxy for a soul.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

Is your taste in watches getting better?

On a serious note, what is the lume like?

My taste has always been impeccable, that goes without saying mate :laugh:

Lume on the Fossil is OK when first exposed to bright light, but not very long lasting, which doesn't bother me at all.

I have to question people who say they are "wearing" two watches each day. Hey I don't mind, I have two arms too.. and I have worn two watches when I'm testing the timing of a known against a new.. but I'm pretty sure I can say I wouldn't have a detailed picture of the movement.. :rolleyes:

Well anyway.. I've been rocking my Ricoh.. 

I had two reactions.. 

"Is that a womans watch" - "would you be more comfortable if I wore a different watch"?

And..

"What the F is that, can I buy it, its cool" - "no" hahaha..

large.20210403_234015.jpg.e9d53ab7c7edc7703a399b9be89909aa.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

I have to question people who say they are "wearing" two watches each day

I actually wore four yesterday, but only posted pictures of two of them - took my Poljot off when I went running, took my Citizen off when I went in the bath, took my bath-time Pulsar off when I went to bed and replaced it with another Pulsar Kinetic which needs a new strap breaking in!  I know quite a few people who wear a fit bit and a watch, but yes, when I feel like wearing two watches simultaneously, I do use the old line about one being on test.

21 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

It's true - just sold a Seiko solar quartz that was eminently fit for purpose as an expedition watch, 200m WR, resin shroud, great lume, no battery worries, looks classic, but no 'soul' somehow.  I do like my old quartz watches, going back 30 plus years, and even my digital Pro-trek, with all the scratches and burrs from when I fell off my skateboard, so maybe they have started to acquire soul?  I do like my Elliott Brown quartz watches, and I think that is something to do with the fact that they are built by watch guys who are trying to inject something into them - make them a stalwart companion - almost like a proxy for a soul.

I think your absolutely right about watches having a "soul" (perhaps a soul is not the right word). I definitely have a connection with all my "keepers" and some of them have so many quirks or dents that most people would just bin them. The more oddities they have the more character they have. The longer you keep them, the more memories they invoke.

I have had watches that I just can't bond with and they make good gifts for people. Bye bye watch, it was just not meant to be.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SolaVeritate said:

they make good gifts for people

True.  This is another fantastic reliable watch with good WR, nice modern size, great legibility and reasonable lume and never needs a battery change:

2513306_R_Z001A?w=1500&h=880&qlt=70&fmt=webp

It made a nice present for my nephew!

• Like 1