UK Watch Forum banner

Doxa watches, thoughts?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  kevkojak 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Developed a bit of liking for Doxa and have seen a number of here that look great.

Having never owned or handled one, what are your thoughts on the build quality? I know @JoT posted about the new Doxa 300 Carbon chronometer recently.

What do you think? Are Doxa worth the money over others at a similar price point?

Thanks

#5 ·
Love them but they just don't sit right for me. A few years ago I was lucky enough to buy a 1970s one from the original owner with box, papers, clip-on compass - the works! I did try to like it but they are really top-heavy, it wouldn't just balance on my wrist.

When I'm on the laptop I'll try and find a picture, any images of it might be lost to the Great Photobucket Scandal though (if you know, then you know). :rolleyes: :teethsmile:

It sold to @jasonm of this very parish, though I think it had quite a few owners after him. Last time I saw it for sale the owner had cannibalised it for the compass, original BoR bracelet and box... sold as "head only". Travesty. :taz:

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
My Doxa watches were bought quite some time ago and weren't expensive. Then in 2019 Doxa's owners, the Jenny family's Walca Group, took the management of the brand in-house and back to Switzerland. Since then there's been a noticeable shift in strategy away from online only sales and now also sell through a multitude of official dealers. In the UK they are sold through top-tier outlets such as Watches of Switzerland / Goldsmiths / Mappin & Webb, CW Sellors / Jura Watches as well as smaller independents such as James Porter & Son, Andrew Michaels Jewellers etc. As Jaydeep implied prices have increased for example in the UK a new Sub300 is listed at £2300 and you can expect to pay around £1300 for a pre-owned Sub model on a forum.

Are they well made? They are well engineered but compared to a similar priced Tudor they are, to use Jay's word, basic. I am glad I have mine as I don't think I would pay £2300 for one.

#7 ·
Similar to the comments above really for me. The 200T in particular I love the look of but I just can't see myself spending 1850 to get one. If it was 1250 I'd be much more tempted.

Especially as I'd only wear it almost like a beater - I'd definitely get the orange dial, which would make it too casual for the office and even for nice/dressy meals or nights out. It would basically be a lads night out/weekend watch, and for me currently I can't justify spending so much on one of those when I can pick up a fun little seiko or similar to do the same job for a fraction of the cost.

#10 ·
It's actually good to have you back JD :thumbsup:

Doxa is Doxa. You either like a Doxa or you don't like a Doxa. It's futile comparing to other brands because it's a Doxa, and you either like a Doxa or you don't like a Doxa.
Yes they are very... Doxa. There's really no other way to put it. I do agree with a previous post about how they wear very top heavy.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.