• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Why Divers?

It's a watch "theme", like "pilot's" watches and "deck" watches.

95% of those sporting such pieces are not divers (or pilots, or sailors), so it's predominantly a matter of fashion choice. Many owners feel they go well with casual attire, and they do look a little macho, so why not.

Personally, I'm not a big fan  --  but even I have one "diver" in my collection. Like one Rolex, it's kind of "de rigeur".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Divers alarums and excursions', she read, uncertainly. 'That means lots of terrible happenings, said Magrat. 'You always put that in plays.'
Alarums and what?', said Nanny Ogg, who hadn't been listening.
Excursions', said Magrat patienly.
Oh.' Nanny Ogg brightened a bit. 'The seaside would be nice,' she said.
Oh do shut up, Gytha,' said Granny Weatherwax. 'They're not for you. They're only for divers, like it says. Probably so they can recover from all them alarums.

Terry Pratchett - Wyrd Sisters

• Haha 3

Like a Belstaff Trialsmaster jacket, once the choice of serious all year round motorcyclists, now a fashion accessory once the marketing men get going.

b7520263703eaf9c6d681f3381ba8af7.jpg

Did Hanhart ever capitalise on the McQueen connection ?

McQueen-wearing-Hanhart-417-ES-at-the-19

5 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Like a Belstaff Trialsmaster jacket, once the choice of serious all year round motorcyclists, now used to be a fashionable  accessory once the marketing men get going.

fixed that for you ! strictly the reserve of tubby middle agers and members of the darkside these days :laughing2dw:

12 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

fixed that for you ! strictly the reserve of tubby middle agers and members of the darkside these days :laughing2dw:

Belstaff don't make jackets big enough for "Tubby", they have their image to protect. If you see a tubby in a Belstaff, then it's a fake. :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

Just now, WRENCH said:

Like a Belstaff Trialsmaster jacket, once the choice of serious all year round motorcyclists, now a fashion accessory once the marketing men get going.

Did Hanhart ever capitalise on the McQueen connection ?

hate to be a pedant but isn't this a Barbour International Steve has on?

I have both and ride all year round Pandemic allowing , i don't think they have gotten any dearer just not made to the same high standards anymore , my first Belstaff was purchased nearly 40 years ago to use on my Fantic moped , it was about a weeks wages £40 ish quid , a Belstaff now(my most recent one) was £450 a fairly average weeks wages today but my original one was built like a tank , the modern one less so

3 minutes ago, midnitemo said:

I have both and ride all year round Pandemic allowing , i don't think they have gotten any dearer just not made to the same high standards anymore , my first Belstaff was purchased nearly 40 years ago to use on my Fantic moped , it was about a weeks wages £40 ish quid , a Belstaff now(my most recent one) was £450 a fairly average weeks wages today but my original one was built like a tank , the modern one less so

I bought a Belstaff Trialsmaster in 1975 for £27.50, and I got rid of it in 2019. The Barbour equivalent was £37.00. My new Timex Q cost £21 in 1976. My new Timex Q reissue cost £155 this year. My new Belstaff canvas Journey cost £750  last year, and it isn't even lined. 

Those two photos show why I don't like big watches.  I like them to be covered by my cuffs except when I'm actually reading them.  My watches get a hard enough time as it is, if exposed all the time like that they'd be dinged to hell in no time.

8 hours ago, aesmith said:

Those two photos show why I don't like big watches.  I like them to be covered by my cuffs except when I'm actually reading them.  My watches get a hard enough time as it is, if exposed all the time like that they'd be dinged to hell in no time.

As I've said, I'm no great fan of "divers"  --  but a sensible one can be worn under (at least casual) cuffs with no problem . . . . .

20181212a-1000.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 05/04/2021 at 16:58, JonnyOldBoy said:

It's surely easier to sell some entry level watches that look a certain way because it plays to a lot of sub conscious aspirational emotions. It's one of the corner stones of marketing. 

I wonder if SUB conscious was a sub conscious reference to why many people like the look of a divers watch.

To the original post, particularly regarding the dimensions, I had a Christopher Ward C60 diver in the 38mm diameter, and that watch seemed thick whilst the dial seemed small, I now have a c65, and the 40mm diameter copes perfectly with the narrow bezel, whilst it is also slimmer on the wrist and a really beautiful, comfortable watch.

Divers watches come in many shapes and sizes and there is one that will appeal to any watch lover in my opinion, and every collection should surely have a place for a diver (or two).

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/04/2021 at 20:46, WRENCH said:

Like a Belstaff Trialsmaster jacket, once the choice of serious all year round motorcyclists, now a fashion accessory once the marketing men get going.

Did Hanhart ever capitalise for  vlone denim jacket on the McQueen connection ?

I guess its a fake one because if you see a tubby in a Belstaff, then it's a fake.

The bezel adds to height and can add to diameter, but usually doesn't by any significant amount. It's a combination of the look and the added functionality of it. Divers are the epitome of sport watches, and sport watches tend to be more of a masculine thing than feminine, so yeah, you're likely to see that being more common than say dress watches.

• Like 1

On 05/04/2021 at 05:07, aesmith said:

Hi,

Looking at cheap watches it strikes me how many are diver style.  It seems like nearly 90%.  That got me wondering what's behind the popularity, I assume they're not all bought by people who actually dive with them.  Is it the bezel, once people have owned one they find the bezel too useful to do without?  (That would be a bit like me with knives, I never thought about one handed opening and didn't like the idea of a pocket clip, but since I tried my Spyderco I'd be reluctant to do without either).  Or is it the look that people love?  From my point of view the downside to diver mania is size.  Realistically the bezel must add 5 or 6mm to the diameter if the dial isn't to be really small, and they seem to be thicker as well.  If it wasn't for size I'd be tempted to try one and see if it grew on me.

Tony S

You also have the Rolex submariner to thank for this. Everyone is trying to bank off their success.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JayDeep said:

You also have the Rolex submariner to thank for this. Everyone is trying to bank off their success.

Correct 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

On 06/04/2021 at 16:55, Rotundus said:

So you're saying that if you don't have a motorbike you can't wear them, a bit like dive watches worn by people who have never dived

I have a Barbour, recently bought a Belstaff and wear a dive watch. 

The last time I was on a motorbike was years ago and I fell off and the last time I dived was only because I fell in a pool head first when I was on holiday. 

:biggrin:

Just as an asides I'm not a fat b@stard either. 

• Haha 1

On 07/04/2021 at 17:33, yokel said:

As I've said, I'm no great fan of "divers"  --  but a sensible one can be worn under (at least casual) cuffs with no problem . . . . .

20181212a-1000.JPG

Whilst I fear you might be considering a restraining order, I have to say that is beautiful.

I'm reaching the point that when I next have a cull, win at the bookies or some aunt that I've not seen for a decade or two hops off and kindly leaves me a couple of shillings, rather than go looking for a new watch for myself I'm just going to post you a cheque and ask you to buy for me without my input!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bricey said:

Whilst I fear you might be considering a restraining order, I have to say that is beautiful.

I'm reaching the point that when I next have a cull, win at the bookies or some aunt that I've not seen for a decade or two hops off and kindly leaves me a couple of shillings, rather than go looking for a new watch for myself I'm just going to post you a cheque and ask you to buy for me without my input!

This was one of the watches on my "I'd quite like to have one of those" (aka grail) list for a while. Not that expensive, but no longer made and difficult to source at a reasonable price. This one eventually came up in the "for sale" section of the dark side.

Just now, yokel said:

This was one of the watches on my "I'd quite like to have one of those" (aka grail) list for a while. Not that expensive, but no longer made and difficult to source at a reasonable price. This one eventually came up in the "for sale" section of the dark side.

The "dark side"?

In this house, that's an Arsenal reference, but I'm assuming thats not the case here.

1 minute ago, Bricey said:

The "dark side"?

In this house, that's an Arsenal reference, but I'm assuming thats not the case here.

TZ-UK. Not my favourite forum (that's here).