• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Why Divers?

Hi,

Looking at cheap watches it strikes me how many are diver style.  It seems like nearly 90%.  That got me wondering what's behind the popularity, I assume they're not all bought by people who actually dive with them.  Is it the bezel, once people have owned one they find the bezel too useful to do without?  (That would be a bit like me with knives, I never thought about one handed opening and didn't like the idea of a pocket clip, but since I tried my Spyderco I'd be reluctant to do without either).  Or is it the look that people love?  From my point of view the downside to diver mania is size.  Realistically the bezel must add 5 or 6mm to the diameter if the dial isn't to be really small, and they seem to be thicker as well.  If it wasn't for size I'd be tempted to try one and see if it grew on me.

Tony S

Dive with them? - Are you mad! - I can only answer for myself, but I just like the diver look & as Sulie said, they are easy to read & when I was a working man, solid watches that would take a knock or two while arresting drunks! - I guess if they account for 90% of the market they must be popular & if good enough for James Bond, who am I to argue? ...

• Like 2

Divers in general are quite rugged manly looking watches,  its definitely a reason why many men buy them, i like them myself, i like them on rubber on well designed good quality rubber straps...rugged, manly, durable, sporty, and often great looking.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, sabailand said:rugged, manly, durable, sporty, and often great looking.

You called?

9 minutes ago, sabailand said:

..rugged, manly, durable, sporty, and often great looking

You called?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For me its about the bezel. I used to use it every day on my lunch time walk because there was an annoying woman in the office who used to time peoples lunch breaks and make a big thing about it out loud if they were over the 30 mins.

It was great pointing to the bezel and saying Ashley, ive been 29 minutes, Ive timed it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I guess the bezel is a cool gadget.  I did wonder why divers wouldn't want it numbered the other way round, as a count-down.  Set maximum dive time on the bezel against the minute hand, then when the minute hand reads zero on the bezel your time is up.  Rather than counting up and then wondering "well it's showing I've been down for 20 minutes, but I can't remember if I worked out max time as 20 or 25 minutes"

Edited by aesmith
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sabailand said:

Divers in general are quite rugged manly looking watches,  its definitely a reason why many men buy them, i like them myself, i like them on rubber on well designed good quality rubber straps...rugged, manly, durable, sporty, and often great looking.

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

This ^ is the answer :thumbsup:

32 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

It's surely easier to sell some entry level watches that look a certain way because it plays to a lot of sub conscious aspirational emotions. It's one of the corner stones of marketing. 

All of the above are correct in my opinion.

Can’t talk really as three quarters of the watches I own are divers. Plus as I’ve said a few times before, I can barely swim a length.

• Like 4

My first watch, bought last August, was a diver, but I have gone off them since, and would not buy another one now. My diver has a 40.5 mm case and a date window. Because of the bevel, the dial is quite small, and I find the date cramped and a bit hard to read, especially for double digit dates. I still like the watch, and will probably actually wear it to go swimming when the local lido opens, but I now think bevels are too fussy and much prefer a simple, more cohesive dial. 

I lament that some brands, like Christopher Ward, seem to have a diver fixation, and wish they would offer more to the less piscine inclined. 

Edited by Polyfun
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, mrzee said:

One day when I’m beach body ready :biggrin:

I can't talk ... I can swim ... for big distances but with extraordinarily poor technique and form. 

A couple of years back I was on a snorkelling tour to the Molokini Crater with the tribe [ who all swim like Johnny Weissmuller ] and we got dumped just out side the crater in the Pacific and told to swim "a couple of kilometres" to the other encounter craft. The seas got choppy and my three just ploughed through the water , none wearing watches , but I had my Casio Solar on so I was swimming for the watch world,,, badly..... got to the craft, last and exhausted.... then I realised looking at all the other scuba tourists that I looked like Jabba the hut compared to them.

Can I join your club .... !? :hug:

• Like 1

I don't mind a bezel, it's the oversized hands and blobby dials I don't like. I sometimes see dive watches by the vintage brands I'm interested in, but a bezel and ATM rating always massively inflates the price, for what is otherwise a pretty ordinary watch.

• Like 1