Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Recommended Posts

So I know I’m likely to get a lot of “whatever you like” type responses here, but always good to get some opinions. I’ve got one space left in my watch box. Currently I’ve got:

  • a blue dial Longines Hydroconquest auto on ss strap (wear for nice occasions - my most expensive watch and love the looks),
  • a white dial Tissot visodate heritage auto on Milanese strap (worn as an office/more formal watch),
  • a silver dial Vostok amphibia mod on brown leather rally strap,
  • a black dial quartz chrono Boss fashion watch on black leather rally strap (the last two worn as casual weekenders depending on whether brown or black leather goes with my outfit, the Boss was a gift and is probably still my second favourite in the collection)
  • a Lorus digi/analogue on rubber (beater/around the house/for exercise).

Other than the office (a rarity nowadays) I don’t really need a dress watch and I prefer the look of a diver or sporty chrono. 41mm is usually about as large as I can go, maybe 43 if it wears well.

I think I’d probably like something around the £500-750 mark which is a less dressy alternative to the Hydroconquest. Something fun, that doesn’t look too flash down the pub or at the footy - the longines with its polished steel is sometimes a bit dressy I find. Happy with auto or quartz, although if quartz I’d quite like something a bit ‘different’ - maybe an eco drive or vhp type movement. Not entirely against second hand but prefer new. Probably prefer not to be a blue dial. 

Something Seiko seems an obvious choice but anything else you’d recommend I take a look at? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Microbrands for something interesting.  I'd suggest Christopher Ward or Farer.  The Farer watches I have had have been excellent, very good at the small details.

Or Certina at this price point if you must stay Swiss.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, mrzee said:

I can recommend the Certina PH200M.

There are loads of Seiko options in your price point. How about a classic 007. Can be dressed up or down.

 

Got one, stunning, cant believed I forgot to  mention it :laugh:

They have lots of other great offerings  too

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JayDeep said:

You have 1 nice watch (blue), 1 decent watch (white), and 3 beaters. So it's time you get a decent black dial watch. What about a Hamilton khaki?

^^^This is a pretty good shout! khakis are really nice.

Edited by mrzee
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all, some good shouts. I’ve never really looked at microbrands - I think being quite new to the watch world I’ve always stuck to names I vaguely know. Will give CW,  Farer, Helson and Armida a look (never really come across the last three - have seen a few CWs and a bit hit and miss looks wise for my taste). 

Hamilton khaki a decent call too, and like the idea of nice black dial watch, although the field watches tend to look slightly “serious” to me if that makes sense! Certina Phantom a good call too - have seen those on the post and forgot about them!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bobby123 said:

Thanks all, some good shouts. I’ve never really looked at microbrands - I think being quite new to the watch world I’ve always stuck to names I vaguely know. Will give CW,  Farer, Helson and Armida a look (never really come across the last three - have seen a few CWs and a bit hit and miss looks wise for my taste). 

Hamilton khaki a decent call too, and like the idea of nice black dial watch, although the field watches tend to look slightly “serious” to me if that makes sense! Certina Phantom a good call too - have seen those on the post and forgot about them!

The Hamilton 'Murph' is not too serious ... with charming hands and an 80 hour power reserve I think comes in at 42mm with 100m WR - nicer than your average watch, but not as dressy as your Longines.  Top end of your budget though.

 

Hamilton Khaki Field Murph Auto with standard packaging 42mm Black Dial Steel Case Black Strap Watch

Edited by Jet Jetski
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

The Hamilton 'Murph' is not too serious ... with charming hands and an 80 hour power reserve I think comes in at 42mm with 100m WR - nicer than your average watch, but not as dressy as your Longines.  Top end of your budget though.

 

Hamilton Khaki Field Murph Auto with standard packaging 42mm Black Dial Steel Case Black Strap Watch

That’s quite cool - I haven’t watched interstellar but I do like things a bit different like the morse code “eureka” on the hands - nobody will notice but you’ll know!

31 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

Maybe take a look at Alpina - mine wears very well. Prices can be good in the sales especially if you look stateside 

IMG_20200813_184029407

 

Yeah nice brand, good shout. I have previously looked at the AlpinerX (like the digi/analogue to deal with half hour time zones) but the case size always put me off. Probably need to try some on and see show they wear (maybe one for a couple of weeks time when we can go to shops again!)

Dog looks fed up of you delaying his walk to take photos of watches :laughing2dw:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/04/2021 at 20:38, Bobby123 said:

So I know I’m likely to get a lot of “whatever you like” type responses here, but always good to get some opinions. I’ve got one space left in my watch box. Currently I’ve got:

  • a blue dial Longines Hydroconquest auto on ss strap (wear for nice occasions - my most expensive watch and love the looks),
  • a white dial Tissot visodate heritage auto on Milanese strap (worn as an office/more formal watch),
  • a silver dial Vostok amphibia mod on brown leather rally strap,
  • a black dial quartz chrono Boss fashion watch on black leather rally strap (the last two worn as casual weekenders depending on whether brown or black leather goes with my outfit, the Boss was a gift and is probably still my second favourite in the collection)
  • a Lorus digi/analogue on rubber (beater/around the house/for exercise).

Other than the office (a rarity nowadays) I don’t really need a dress watch and I prefer the look of a diver or sporty chrono. 41mm is usually about as large as I can go, maybe 43 if it wears well.

I think I’d probably like something around the £500-750 mark which is a less dressy alternative to the Hydroconquest. Something fun, that doesn’t look too flash down the pub or at the footy - the longines with its polished steel is sometimes a bit dressy I find. Happy with auto or quartz, although if quartz I’d quite like something a bit ‘different’ - maybe an eco drive or vhp type movement. Not entirely against second hand but prefer new. Probably prefer not to be a blue dial. 

Something Seiko seems an obvious choice but anything else you’d recommend I take a look at? 

 

Most of that collection are either watches I own or watches I have owned at one time or another, and fit weel into my preference.

A few that I would feel fit nicely alongside it would be:

- A Christopher Ward C65 (auto or handwinding) - a retro, slim on the wrist diver.

- A Certina DS-1 or PH200m if you prefer something a little more robust looking, whilst also retaing a retro feel.

If prepared to purchase from the pre-owned offerings, an Oris sixty-five diver should just slip into contention (and is my 'next' watch at the moment!)

But looking is half the fun!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...