• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Who has both Seiko and Citizen?

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying my first Japanese-made watch outside Casio. I've been reading about Seiko and Citizen the past few days trying to make my mind up as unfortunately I'm not able to afford both (yet).

I prefer automatic watches. I've stumbled across this comparison https://timepieceking.info/seiko-vs-citizen-watches/ which says that when it comes to automatic watches Seiko seems to have the edge and has more watches to pick from. Is that true?

Can anyone that has automatic watches from both brands say whether Seiko or Citizen are a better choice for my first watch?

Thank you!

11 hours ago, KRKrolex said:

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying my first Japanese-made watch outside Casio. I've been reading about Seiko and Citizen the past few days trying to make my mind up as unfortunately I'm not able to afford both (yet).

I prefer automatic watches. I've stumbled across this comparison https://timepieceking.info/seiko-vs-citizen-watches/ which says that when it comes to automatic watches Seiko seems to have the edge and has more watches to pick from. Is that true?

Can anyone that has automatic watches from both brands say whether Seiko or Citizen are a better choice for my first watch?

Thank you!

Out of what I've got/owned, I would say they run pretty equal. Neither are that supremely accurate out of the box. Worth having a look at Orient, especially the Three Star range, if you're on a budget. They're available on Amazon starting around £70. They're pretty basic, and have no manual winding option, but they're good and reliable for the money

135805504_max.jpg

I would say that Seiko do have a greater choice yes, but then again there are many watch brands out there using Citizen (Miyota) movements (and of course the Seiko NH35 crops up everywhere). 

I have had Miyota 9039 and 8215 movements that both kept good time, as well as another Miyota 8215 that varied quite a bit between positions which I flipped.  I had a Seiko 5 once which was OK.  Perhaps have a look at this thread: 

Edited by Jet Jetski

I have about 20 Seiko automatics mostly vintage but some newer and only 2 Citizen automatics.

However I do have a number of other brands fitted with both Seiko and Miyota automatic movements.

None of them have been very accurate out of the box (within manufactures specifications maybe -20 to +40 spd ish). Most respond to gentle fettling to give acceptable accuracy (-10 to +10 spd is ok for me) well within specifications.

In my experience both manufacturers produce very reliable and robust products. They survive my tinkering.

Edited by johnboy24

I have a few Seiko and one Citizen automatic.  I reckon the Citizen is my choice, well finished, good timekeeping and very comfortable.                                                          I really like the crown at 8 o'clock as well.Screenshot_20200828-223750_Gallery.thumb.jpg.20f62f38122760b1958533d35f06f893.jpg