• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Who has both Seiko and Citizen?

KRKrolex

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying my first Japanese-made watch outside Casio. I've been reading about Seiko and Citizen the past few days trying to make my mind up as unfortunately I'm not able to afford both (yet).

I prefer automatic watches. I've stumbled across this comparison https://timepieceking.info/seiko-vs-citizen-watches/ which says that when it comes to automatic watches Seiko seems to have the edge and has more watches to pick from. Is that true?

Can anyone that has automatic watches from both brands say whether Seiko or Citizen are a better choice for my first watch?

Thank you!

11 hours ago, KRKrolex said:

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying my first Japanese-made watch outside Casio. I've been reading about Seiko and Citizen the past few days trying to make my mind up as unfortunately I'm not able to afford both (yet).

I prefer automatic watches. I've stumbled across this comparison https://timepieceking.info/seiko-vs-citizen-watches/ which says that when it comes to automatic watches Seiko seems to have the edge and has more watches to pick from. Is that true?

Can anyone that has automatic watches from both brands say whether Seiko or Citizen are a better choice for my first watch?

Thank you!

Out of what I've got/owned, I would say they run pretty equal. Neither are that supremely accurate out of the box. Worth having a look at Orient, especially the Three Star range, if you're on a budget. They're available on Amazon starting around £70. They're pretty basic, and have no manual winding option, but they're good and reliable for the money

135805504_max.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I would say that Seiko do have a greater choice yes, but then again there are many watch brands out there using Citizen (Miyota) movements (and of course the Seiko NH35 crops up everywhere). 

I have had Miyota 9039 and 8215 movements that both kept good time, as well as another Miyota 8215 that varied quite a bit between positions which I flipped.  I had a Seiko 5 once which was OK.  Perhaps have a look at this thread: 

Edited by Jet Jetski

I have about 20 Seiko automatics mostly vintage but some newer and only 2 Citizen automatics.

However I do have a number of other brands fitted with both Seiko and Miyota automatic movements.

None of them have been very accurate out of the box (within manufactures specifications maybe -20 to +40 spd ish). Most respond to gentle fettling to give acceptable accuracy (-10 to +10 spd is ok for me) well within specifications.

In my experience both manufacturers produce very reliable and robust products. They survive my tinkering.

Edited by johnboy24
  • Like 1

I have a few Seiko and one Citizen automatic.  I reckon the Citizen is my choice, well finished, good timekeeping and very comfortable.                                                          I really like the crown at 8 o'clock as well.

Screenshot_20200828-223750_Gallery.thumb.jpg.20f62f38122760b1958533d35f06f893.jpg

• Like 3

It's a tough comparison in that Seiko will try and serve everyone with a Seiko of some kind (excluding super affordable). 

Citizen will try and serve everyone by buying other brands (excluding ultra high end). 

So it's not really apples and apples

• 3 weeks later...

I love Japanese watches and have a few iof each, Seiko and Citizen, There's also microbrands that use Seiko and Citizen movements :thumbs_up:

My preference has always been for Seiko but i've seen some stunning early Citizen watches, On facey there seems to be loads of Citizen tripledaters, Have to say i've never seen one in reality but the pics are fabulous!!

Here's some of mine, I've bought a few more since I took the pic!!

9t0RocJ.jpg

Good luck with whichever brand you go with- wanting Japanese I feel you'll fare well :notworthy:

John :thumbsup:

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

In the past I would have said go with Seiko but have now totally changed camps. Having had problems with two Seiko Kinetics and one Seiko Solar which were all sold with a one year warranty, I decided to try a Citizen Eco Drive which, to my surprise, came with a five year warranty plus an extra year upon registration which, to me anyway, speaks volumes - who has more faith in their product? That makes it a total 'no brainer' as far as I'm concerned anyway - Citizen every time! 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I have both Citizens and Seikos, both brands make great dive watches, you won't go wrong with either, here are my two Pro Citizen divers, the automatic 1000m and the 1990s 800m quartz, both in titanium.

I also have a thing for the classic Seiko divers, here is a group shot of my 6309s and 7548s ( excuse the interloper ) 

i-s333xNJ-M.jpg

i-njDd9nX-M.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jasonm said:

I have both Citizens and Seikos, both brands make great dive watches, you won't go wrong with either, here are my two Pro Citizen divers, the automatic 1000m and the 1990s 800m quartz, both in titanium.

I also have a thing for the classic Seiko divers, here is a group shot of my 6309s and 7548s ( excuse the interloper ) 

i-s333xNJ-M.jpg

i-njDd9nX-M.jpg

I don't own a Citizen watch, but I do love that dive watch you pictured. I think @mach 0.0013137has the same watch from memory. It is a beast of a watch and if I'm in the market for a new  dive watch it would be that watch I would be after.

I'm also a Seiko fan, but over the last couple of weeks I have had a change of heart about them. I think I will be selling off most of my Seiko quartz watches as I just don't want to be a Seiko 'Museum' of watches that I don't wear.

I think most of us are '80/20' collectors...wear 20% of our watches 80% of the time. Probably closer to 5% for me as I own far too many watches, getting a bit silly how many I own. :(

I’m not a big divers watch fan but I do believe that every collection ought to have at least one. For me Citizen have at  least got the edge. 
why do you specifically want a Japanese watch . There are many micro bands using Japanese movements so why not go for a Marloe Morar or a Steeldrive.

Citizen  will outperform both of them and Seiko  and by far better value for money.

I love Marloe watches and am happy to keep buying this brand.

only you can choose your future purchase just be brave and stick with what you want enjoy .

Citizen  v Seiko —Citizen every time imho

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have both a Seiko and a Citizen. Both are great watches and keep good time. Neither were super expensive, but nor were they super cheap. I also have a number of Casios which are fantastic watches really. If you want a good automatic then look at Steeldive. The specs are great and the finish etc on these watches are really very good. Some people don't like the fact that they copy some of the more well-known brands but in all honesty the Steeldive I have is easily equal to (if not slightly better especially in fit and finishing) to my Seiko. For less than £100 you will find them very hard to beat.

I have a Citizen Evodrive which for what it is, is an excellent watch. Never ever stops as long as it's not locked in a drawer for months, it was good value, it's well made and just a good bit of kit.

That said, I have a number of Seikos all of which are mechanical as I just love their diver style watches. I don't think you'd do badly choosing either. :)