• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hey guys I was given a Samsung Galaxy watch as a gift for my son the weekend and I am going to set it up tonight.

Are these smart watches good and what can I expect? Dave proper watch enthusiasts came around to the idea?  

I’ve had a couple mainly for cycling and running for the gps and multiple other readings. I Currently use a garmin 735XT. They’re good for what they do, but would never replace my normal watches.

If it’s the Samsung Gear you’ve got, a mate had one and loved it. You can change the dial appearance etc and it gives lots of different data and links to your phone etc. The garmin I have does similar but I switched off the phone link as it was constantly informing me of messages, emails etc and got on my nerves:biggrin:

I'm thinking that with the right programming they can be 'set up' for future things we haven't even considered. Imagine 100 years time we need a personal geiger counter or air purification meter or.. or.. 

Everyone is thinking about its battery life or touch compatibility etc. When in reality its a simplified computer that can do many functions. These things are the real collectables of the future.

We might have electronic tattoos that can do 100x more than these things but heres me thinking that it would be extremely retro to have a "mechanical device on your wrist" that can be reprogrammed to do the same function.. such as.. oh I don't know.. tell the time?

I would like to have the money to buy one and stick it away for 100 years in an unopened little box labeled "gift for my great great grandchild"

5 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

I'm thinking that with the right programming they can be 'set up' for future things we haven't even considered. Imagine 100 years time we need a personal geiger counter or air purification meter or.. or.. 

Everyone is thinking about its battery life or touch compatibility etc. When in reality its a simplified computer that can do many functions. These things are the real collectables of the future.

We might have electronic tattoos that can do 100x more than these things but heres me thinking that it would be extremely retro to have a "mechanical device on your wrist" that can be reprogrammed to do the same function.. such as.. oh I don't know.. tell the time?

I would like to have the money to buy one and stick it away for 100 years in an unopened little box labeled "gift for my great great grandchild"

Trouble with these is how integrated they are into the rest of the data ecosystem at the minute, you pull a pocket watch out of the box it was sealed in 100 years ago, you wind it up & it tells the time (maybe better with a bit of fresh lube but in theory you're away) I have 2 Skagen Hybrid smarts which are by no means the most complex of beasts but even so come the clock change in order to put them forward the hour I had to re-install the app onto my phone, sign up for an account again with Skagen 'cos I'd completely forgotten what I'd set up last time, then hook them up before the time synced up. If Skagen pull support from under them, they can't even tell the time. No matter how capable it might be in theory, without the infrastructure they rely on your Apple watch coming out the box in 100 years is just a funny little black rectangle.

5 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Trouble with these is how integrated they are into the rest of the data ecosystem at the minute, you pull a pocket watch out of the box it was sealed in 100 years ago, you wind it up & it tells the time (maybe better with a bit of fresh lube but in theory you're away) I have 2 Skagen Hybrid smarts which are by no means the most complex of beasts but even so come the clock change in order to put them forward the hour I had to re-install the app onto my phone, sign up for an account again with Skagen 'cos I'd completely forgotten what I'd set up last time, then hook them up before the time synced up. If Skagen pull support from under them, they can't even tell the time. No matter how capable it might be in theory, without the infrastructure they rely on your Apple watch coming out the box in 100 years is just a funny little black rectangle.

True. 

But thats a future business opportunity right there.

Well I’m wearing it for the first time today and so far I’m quite impressed get all my notifications t a glance and I can even see who’s calling and if it’s urgent. 

I should of tried one of these before now as I am very impressed.