• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Breitling Resurrects The Datora

Breitling have resurrected the Dataora with a B25 in-house movement

42mm diameter in steel or rose gold with copper or silver dial

RRP $12,950 for the steel version so in the UK with VAT around £11,200 *gulp* 

21datora1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Not for me that one, even if they knocked the 2 zeros off. I don’t like how the sub dials chop the numerals in half and I’m not keen on the day month indicators at the top of the dial. I assume the dial is what they’re calling copper? It looks more of an insipid salmon colour to me.

I do like the syringe hands, contrasting colour sub dial hands and the date/moon phase dial. However I do not like them enough to override my other dislikes or to spend anywhere near that amount on (not that I have that to spend on a watch at the moment).:whistle:

57 minutes ago, JoT said:

B'ling have also announced a new colour for the PREMIER B09 CHRONOGRAPH 40

Pistachio Green :hmmm9uh:

£6,200

ab0930d31l1p1-premier-b09-chronograph-40

remove the "tachio" and add an "s".

I once cracked open a rotten egg that was that colour. 

1 hour ago, Always"watching" said:

I do like green watches generally speaking but that pistachio ice-cream colour just doesn't seem right for that watch. I'd go for the copper dial on the Datora - very nice. But very pricey.:)

Looks like it came from Mumbai :hmmm9uh:

• Haha 2

At TWELVE THOUSAND POUNDS.. They would have to resurrect Genghis Khan to personally tell me the time before I would think about it.

You can buy a new car at that cost. 

... and don't bother thinking that you can stick it in a safe and it will double its price... when your bones are wondering what time it is.  Its time to get your cholesterol checked.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

... and don't bother thinking that you can stick it in a safe and it will double its price...

Mine has :whistle:  Tripled actually.  I don't keep it in a safe though, I wear it.

There are lots of different "Datora" Breitlings.  I've never determined for sure what "Datora" means other than that I think they should all have some sort of calculating/computational function, like a tachymeter / UPH scale/bezel.  The term has nothing to do with the date function so far as I know.

Anyway, I prefer my sensibly-sized late 60's / early 70's "Surfboard" Datora to the fat Triple Calendar re-issue.

Breitling%20Datora%2020180422.jpg

valjoux-7734.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fan of the brand , but not a fan of the new releases today.... I watched the video where the CEO pretends to go back in time etc etc....

Just thought it was cheesy and the watches are a bit too.

Another wasted opportunity for Breitling I fear.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rhaythorne said:

Mine has :whistle:  Tripled actually.  I don't keep it in a safe though, I wear it.

There are lots of different "Datora" Breitlings.  I've never determined for sure what "Datora" means other than that I think they should all have some sort of calculating/computational function, like a tachymeter / UPH scale/bezel.  The term has nothing to do with the date function so far as I know.

Anyway, I prefer my sensibly-sized late 60's / early 70's "Surfboard" Datora to the fat Triple Calendar re-issue.

Breitling%20Datora%2020180422.jpg

valjoux-7734.jpg

Wow. Regularly wearing a Thirty six thousand pound watch is quite beyond my understanding. 

5 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

Wow. Regularly wearing a Thirty six thousand pound watch is quite beyond my understanding. 

Our roads are full of people driving cars worth £20,000 - £50,000 ... I would dare to suggest they should be more worried than anyone wearing a vintage Breitling. Watches get damaged stolen much less frequently than cars. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

Erm, no, mine didn't cost anything like £12K and it isn't worth £36K.  But it has tripled in value since I bought it.

It's great to see that companies like Breitling are producing movements like the B25 and making watches as good as that full calendar chronograph, as serious complications like this are few and far between.

It's a realistic price in this day and age too I suppose, especially when you look at its competitors at this level of complication, who are more expensive. Try looking at Blancpain's or IWC's offerings, so I don't think that they'll have much trouble selling them at all. No doubt they will be a good investment too for those who buy one. Nice to see in my opinion. :)

• Like 1

I may have mentioned this before.

A good friend of mine restores vintage aircraft, and as a result I have met and spent a bit of time with many of his clients. Vintage Breitlings are part of the uniform when they tog up to fly off, and I have always found these examples mouthwatering. Rolex, like them or not, have proved that continuing with an unchanged theme, with the odd slight subtle cosmetic alteration from time to time, is a winner. So why do Breitling do this ? Honestly, if I hadn't seen this post and saw that green thing on someone's wrist in a cafe, I'd be whispering in my wife's ear, "look, someone's not done their homework before bidding on ebay". I still like the Datora, but where does the price tag come from? Especially the stainless one.

4 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I like everything about that, except the price.

+1

4 hours ago, JoT said:

B'ling have also announced a new colour for the PREMIER B09 CHRONOGRAPH 40

Pistachio Green :hmmm9uh:

£6,200

ab0930d31l1p1-premier-b09-chronograph-40

Less so that though! Although don’t think the brown strap in the pics does much for it. 

⁹It is a thing of beauty, but at 42mm and probably 14mm thick it is too large for me.

I don't have an issue with the price.  For a triple calendar, double chronograph it is not bad.  It is a small market and other players will empty far larger wallets.  What I do have an issue with is the gold watch is double the price, for maybe £2k of gold

I appreciate the intricacies of the movement/complications and probable build quality, but to my eye the 2 dials shown are something only a mother would love. The green is insipid (and green is my favourite colour) and the copper is just meh. Couple that with the way the subdials chop into the numbers and it’s a massive no for me.

I’m not knocking breitling as they do have some models I love. However that price is eye watering so I guess it’s a good job we all have different tastes :biggrin:

25 minutes ago, JoT said:

And finally the Duograph 

Yes, that's stunning. I think that the change in the market since Swatch put limits on their ETA sales will only do wonders for established brands like Breitling with their own in house movements being developed apace. Smaller brands, as we have seen, are often turning to Miyota or Seiko movements which is enhancing the 'Swiss Made' in house aspect of companies like Breitling, and they are going to do well in the future as a result.