• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New Rolex Watches released this morning ....

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Explorers are on there too .... nice bi-metal one .... amongst other hideous dials , like this one : https://www.rolex.com/watches/cosmograph-daytona/m116519ln-0038.html

No longer excited about this brand! They might aswell as well marketed it as '2021 new prototypes' as fat chance you will be able to get one retail! Moving towards the more obtainable Omega brand

A complete disappointment from Rolex.  Tudor made a much better go of it this time around I’d say!

Posted Images

13 hours ago, spinynorman said:

"Calibre 9001 has a blue Parachrom hairspring manufactured by Rolex in an exclusive paramagnetic alloy that makes it up to 10 times more precise..."

I hate this marketing waffle. What the hell is "10 times more precise"?

It's either precise, or it isn't. :cursed:

A watch can have poor accuracy and good precision, poor accuracy and poor precision, good accuracy and good precision and even sometimes good accuracy and poor precision (although the accuracy is more down to luck) :biggrin: 

If you improve the precision of the watch movement it is easier to adjust it to run accurately. There are a few methods that can be used to calculate precision so it will be possible to come up with a number to compare different hairspings :book:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JoT said:

A watch can have poor accuracy and good precision, poor accuracy and poor precision, good accuracy and good precision and even sometimes good accuracy and poor precision (although the accuracy is more down to luck) :biggrin: 

If you improve the precision of the watch movement it is easier to adjust it to run accurately. There are a few methods that can be used to calculate precision so it will be possible to come up with a number to compare different hairspings :book:

I wish I understood that.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, spinynorman said:

It's not just me then. :tongue:

This might help.

BD89DAA2-9021-4BEE-AD06-76AF788ACDE4.jpeg.c725ff2c90e477e992fe81c42f114f0b.jpeg

Here’s an example. I have a watch that gains between 8 and 9 seconds consistently, day in day out.  If I set it 30 seconds slow on Sunday, I can be very confident that it will be spot-on by Wednesday, and 30 seconds fast by following Sunday.  In theory I could take it back by one minute every Sunday and it would be in the zone for months.   That’s because, although it’s not particularly accurate, it is precise and does the same thing every day. 

That, by the way, is my Speedy – my most frequently worn watch.  When I have it serviced I will ask them to regulate it, so hopefully it will retain the precision but gain a bit more accuracy.   I do actually use it pretty much as described, but I also check it alongside an Internet time source or my RC clock.  Because it has exhibited this behaviour for four years, I am very confident in its precision.  And the accuracy doesn’t bother me too much. 

Precision is the watch being true to itself. Accuracy is the watch being true to some outside reference such as the correct time.  Harrison used to adjust the readings of his marine chronometers to take into account the rate of the machine (the amount by which he knew it would gain or lose in specific conditions). 

I hope that makes a bit more sense now! 

Edited by AVO