Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Recommended Posts

After going through my large but cheap selection of watches I thought it was time to have a sort out.

I have decided to slowly get rid of my modern watches and in their place I will be buying some vintage pieces.

Im guessing I should really start with Timexs, Seikos etc...? 
 

Any advice would be great and what to look out for, obviously I won’t be buying expensive just yet as money is a little tight so just cheapies :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I scratched that itch (for now) in a slightly different way. 

I knew the vintage aesthetic that I was attracted to but had no reasonable way of getting there, so instead I found a new watch that carried that feel:

IMG_20201202_094045

I also got a head-on reminder of that angle this week with Breitling's new releases. 

The Breitling Premier B25 Datora 42 is all I could ever want in a vintage watch's aesthetic, emulating the vintage Rolex Chronos of the 40s/50s and Pateks:

2021-04-08_08-48-42

Now this watch is nearly £10k so not a helpful example but my point is that it's a brand new example of the feeling for a mere fraction of the price of its vintage inspiration. 

This is based on aesthetics only and ignores history but I'm a shallow chap anyway so it works for me. 

 

Edited by antjrice
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, carlgulliver said:

After going through my large but cheap selection of watches I thought it was time to have a sort out.

I have decided to slowly get rid of my modern watches and in their place I will be buying some vintage pieces.

Im guessing I should really start with Timexs, Seikos etc...? 
 

Any advice would be great and what to look out for, obviously I won’t be buying expensive just yet as money is a little tight so just cheapies :)

It depends what you are looking for. There were thousands of small Swiss and French makers from the 1940s into the 1970s. Some of what they made is junk, some is well put together and attractively designed, some use great, classic movements. You'll probably have to replace the strap and polish or replace the acrylic crystal, and you'll have to put up with scratches on the case and marks on the dial. The lume, if any, rarely works. Lots of mine have worked on arrival and kept going, but others have needed a service, costing twice what the watch is worth. I don't mind that, I like seeing something broken come back to life. I've stayed away from Timex and Seiko because I don't find them interesting, but we're all different, you have to buy a few and hope to find your niche.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, antjrice said:

I scratched that itch (for now) in a slightly different way. 

I knew the vintage aesthetic that I was attracted to but had no reasonable way of getting there, so instead I found a new watch that carried that feel:

IMG_20201202_094045

I also got a head-on reminder of that angle this week with Breitling's new releases. 

The Breitling Premier B25 Datora 42 is all I could ever want in a vintage watch's aesthetic, emulating the vintage Rolex Chronos of the 40s/50s and Pateks:

2021-04-08_08-48-42

Now this watch is nearly £10k so not a helpful example but my point is that it's a brand new example of the feeling for a mere fraction of the price of its vintage inspiration. 

This is based on aesthetics only and ignores history but I'm a shallow chap anyway so it works for me. 

 

How recently did you buy your BALL? I love that watch and have been watching Jomashop for one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 minutes ago, Dilly said:

How recently did you buy your BALL? I love that watch and have been watching Jomashop for one. 

I bought it in November from The Watch Shop, however I just jumped onto there now and it's listed as discontinued.

eBay throws one up occasionally

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two vintage (1977) watches, one I have owned for about 15 years, the other only a few months.

I like the idea that they had a life before I met them, that they may have travelled and have stories in them that they will never share with me but are there in their history. 

My wife on the other hand pointed out that someone would have worn them whilst wiping their bum, which does lessen the mystery somewhat.

I guess I'm I'm romantic in this relationship!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do like the new vintage inspired models but I am just trying out a few old cheaper models at the moment, I have a tradition electronic I bought off my mate and it works perfectly not huge at 35mm but wears nicely enough I think that’s what started the vintage fad for me :)

Haha I never thought of that actually guess watches go pretty much everywhere :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, carlgulliver said:

I do like the new vintage inspired models but I am just trying out a few old cheaper models at the moment, I have a tradition electronic I bought off my mate and it works perfectly not huge at 35mm but wears nicely enough I think that’s what started the vintage fad for me :)

Haha I never thought of that actually guess watches go pretty much everywhere :(

It's probably a good thing that we can't relive their memories through their eyes :laugh:

7 hours ago, antjrice said:

I scratched that itch (for now) in a slightly different way. 

I knew the vintage aesthetic that I was attracted to but had no reasonable way of getting there, so instead I found a new watch that carried that feel:

IMG_20201202_094045

I also got a head-on reminder of that angle this week with Breitling's new releases. 

The Breitling Premier B25 Datora 42 is all I could ever want in a vintage watch's aesthetic, emulating the vintage Rolex Chronos of the 40s/50s and Pateks:

2021-04-08_08-48-42

Now this watch is nearly £10k so not a helpful example but my point is that it's a brand new example of the feeling for a mere fraction of the price of its vintage inspiration. 

This is based on aesthetics only and ignores history but I'm a shallow chap anyway so it works for me. 

 

Interesting looking hour markers on the Ball, are they vertical tubes?

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bricey said:

 

Interesting looking hour markers on the Ball, are they vertical tubes?

 

Tritium tubes no less. Continuously luminesant  (half life notwithstanding). They're not great on this example actually but I have another Ball incoming so i'm keen to compare.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, antjrice said:

Tritium tubes no less. Continuously luminesant  (half life notwithstanding). They're not great on this example actually but I have another Ball incoming so i'm keen to compare.

Thanks.

 

OK, another naive question showing my ignorance, how long (deep) are the tubes?

Do they just stand on the watch face (so more like discs in reality) or do they go right down through the face and sit somewhere within the actual workings?

I've read that back and realise that whatever the answer I'm going to sound a bit simple for assuming the other scenario is possible, but so be it!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Cheapies" can have good results and bad results. Of course its all a matter of taste but there are some things to consider.. especially with ebay.

Will that strap fit you or are you going to have to replace it?

Watch is untested? Why?

Is the seller listing hundreds of watches.. maybe they are parts inside parts, in odd cases with refurbished faces on cheap straps? 

Is it a fake? Is it a really good fake?

Is the kinetic capacitor near its end?

Why is that photo really fuzzy on something someone wants to make money on? 

Is the person asking £10 postage on a 99p watch?

Call me a skeptic but.. "watch recently serviced" on a £20 1970 vintage.. I doubt it, the service would cost more.

Do the numbers on that seiko 5 face match up to the case back?

Can you find a picture of that vintage watch anywhere else on the Internet, do they look the same? Same hands, same case back?

Is it really worth something or is it a 1980s fashion watch. Who made it, really?

Has it been sold before?

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Thanks.

 

OK, another naive question showing my ignorance, how long (deep) are the tubes?

Do they just stand on the watch face (so more like discs in reality) or do they go right down through the face and sit somewhere within the actual workings?

I've read that back and realise that whatever the answer I'm going to sound a bit simple for assuming the other scenario is possible, but so be it!

 

Not at all. Reasonable questions and I'm not sure of the answer. I'm sure they decent through the dial in order to increase the volume of the gas but I can't tell how far. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my biggest regrets for selling a watch was also among the cheapest I ever purchased, cheapest I ever sold and one that I never managed to find anything about.

It was a perfectly round faced Anker, domed crystal right to the edges (a bit like a Max Bill), hand winding, silver face, expanding bracelet, about 35mm diameter.

Bought under a tenner sold for something similar about 10-12 years ago.

Of every watch I have sold, that is the only one I genuinely regret, it was so basic and simple, but was such a beautiful little thing.

I'm almost tearing up think back to it, think I'm going to search Google now.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...