• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I am stuck with this notion of liking old things but wanting them to be new and shiny and better , i have never(so far) bought a used watch but in the main i tend to by older designs , retro i guess , i have nothing against vintage stuff i just like new , i know i probably pay quite dearly for this but i hope to have old watches some day but they will have always been mine , the patina will have been made by me , i like the reassurance of a warranty , love  knowing there are no hidden faults/repairs/damage , am reassured the watches are not fakes , tis a bonus too that modern reinterpretations tend to be a little bigger with more modern calibres whilst retaining the look of the original , i can't pull of wearing the smaller watches of yore having a 19cm wrist. what do you guys prefer in your watch tastes?

3 minutes ago, midnitemo said:

I can't pull of wearing the smaller watches of yore having a 19cm wrist. what do you guys prefer in your watch tastes?

Don't see the problem at all, and all are 36 mm or less on a 19cm wrist. With the exception of the third one (Zim) the rest are modern.

large.20210211_111037_kindlephoto-3454964.jpg.25b0d6f01f8a5302c6e3974f7d580025.jpglarge.20201108_094745_kindlephoto-3663252.jpg.8170ac5cb8849f6c278acb392a7a5145.jpglarge.16038743554494558208104651456372.jpg.478821642e61cf0eb1a177330397213f.jpglarge.16024074075868040130945923768436.jpg.ca9d0e3619fee498ab8937422babd088.jpg

• Like 1

Its like when you have a new car and you park it the far side of the carpark away from everyone else for fear of a scrape/scratch or door strike but once the first damage is done you relax a bit , got really down about a little ding i put in the lug of my Sub but it's gonna happpen if you wear em

1 hour ago, midnitemo said:

I have a 36mm and its just a little lost on my wrist , 34 would not work at all for me , the sweet spot for me seems to be 38/39mm . i go from 36 to 42 in my current watches  but 38/39mm appears quite rare in vintage watches

That is shaped by your perception of style in turn shaped by the fashion and  media of the day.  People did not wear smaller watches in days gone by for functional reasons, or because people were smaller.  They wore them because they looked better.  To them.  It's just perception conditioning.  You might be able to lose a grain of sand on your wrist, but not a watch.

Lug to lug can be important for comfort, but on watches at or around only 42mm, the bars often need to be really close to the case for most people, which can compromise strap choices.

There are used watches sold with a warranty, and ways to reduce risk.  Old watches tend to have more character, used watches do come up also which have clearly been mainly stored.  Part of a collection and seldom worn.

Any old watch I buy is destined for the watchmaker anyway, so I factor that in.

I would rather buy patina.  It is less depressing  than realising you forgot to screw your crown in on your tag, or smacking your own watch that cost you ££££ :laugh:

Unless it's a G-Shock which is made to be bashed.

• Like 1

I think there is an element of people being physically smaller 50 or 60 years ago too when 34mm watches were the norm

I am destined to buy to smaller vintage watches at some point (soon i hope) a Sekonda 23 jewel 35mm like my father had and my first timex from the early 70's , my Dad wore the watch and it just looked normal for the times but although tall at 6ft he was slightly built at around 11st i'm guessing he would have had a 15cm or less wrist , I am a completely different kettle of fish , 18st and 6ft 3 and most definately well padded , just re measured my wrist at 20.2 cm