• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Cycling (or beater...) watches

Recently I've started to wear a watch when I cycle which is at least a couple of times a week. Although I wear a Fitbit Ionic on a daily basis (on the other wrist), i take it off when i ride as although it measures the activity correctly, it falsely inflates daily steps.

This has provided a great bonus however as I get to wear something else. 

I've seen lots of examples of people wearly luxury sport watches whilst cycling but I can't bring myself to do it. The fear of causing a lot of damage in a crash or the vibrations from the dodgy roads in this part of the world puts me off. But this has given me a new connection to my many quartz watches which no longer see wrist time.

The digital watches and G-Shocks are an obvious choice and due to it's colours, my GA-2000-1A9ER is getting a lot of time which is great since this was a recent purchase:

2021-04-01_08-15-43

This is also opening up some good time with my old sporty favourites such as my Bulova Marine Star:

2021-03-27_09-05-12

Oridinarily I'll pick a watch to suit some aspect of my day ahead. What I like about this new take on choosing something to ride with is that it's only me, the bike and the watch. The watch is also the only thing i'll look at other than the road ahead of me.

This consept of having watches for cycling has sent my mind racing (forgive the pun) in all sorts of ways. It's allowing me to reconnect with a number of the long negleted older parts of my collection but also tempting me towards good looking affordable watches that I wouldn't mind taking a knock or shaking about. I enjoyed owning cheap autos from the likes of Parnis and Pagani Design but moved on from them a while back whereas now, i'm all over Aliexpress again looking at examples of homages on rubber straps that I could get to ride with.

This watch thing is relentless......

Any other beater stories out there that provide a special repeated use for watches that don't live in the 'top' box?

Depends how you want to use the watch.  I just wear whatever I had on before deciding to go for a ride.  However once when I tried to time my pedalling I found that the second hand was really hard to read, which isn't the case with that watch in normal wear, so for me I'd be looking for readability in any sort of light.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, aesmith said:

Depends how you want to use the watch.  I just wear whatever I had on before deciding to go for a ride.  However once when I tried to time my pedalling I found that the second hand was really hard to read, which isn't the case with that watch in normal wear, so for me I'd be looking for readability in any sort of light.

I should have included the disclaimer that I have Strava working overtime on the phone for all rides anyway....:thumbsup:

Am I alone in having a slight shiver when I see the term "Beater" regarding a watch?

I've had watches worth about a quarter of f-all, that I've still been upset about denting, dinging or scratching.

Whilst my collection does have some watches that I think can be described as expensive (not 5 or 6 figure expensive, but a few creeping into low 4 figure expensive) I do hate working my way through an article online and hearing someone describe a Tudor Black Bay or Omega of any ilk as their "daily beater".

If I had two cars, a Rolls Royce and a Renault Clio, I'd still not want to carelessly bash up the Clio!

I've got a cheap bar mounted GPS, and never bother with a watch. I once ended up in hospital when I came off my bike, and my watch "dissapeared". Possibly a genuine reason for it, as my favourite cycling top had to be cut off as well, would have been nice to have been offered the shredded scraps as a momento. :laughing2dw:

Possibly a crash helmet is more important than a watch, there wasn't much left in my case. 

29 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I've got a cheap bar mounted GPS, and never bother with a watch. I once ended up in hospital when I came off my bike, and my watch "dissapeared". Possibly a genuine reason for it, as my favourite cycling top had to be cut off as well, would have been nice to have been offered the shredded scraps as a momento. :laughing2dw:

Possibly a crash helmet is more important than a watch, there wasn't much left in my case. 

I had a pretty bad car accident a month or so after buying my first ever Rolex (an old second hand 34mm jobbie, that wouldn't impress a soul, but had been a pipe dream for many years beforehand for me).

The spring bar gave during impact and the watch disappeared, although I was too preoccupied with the shattered pelvis to notice at the time. The police (when arranging removal of the car from the A52) did find it and returned it to me. But I decided to sell it and put a silly advert on EBay to sell it warning that it might be cursed (the accident was the culmination of a few bad luck stories around that point in my life).

I got a little more than my money back on the watch, and so split the profits between the air ambulance (as they had no doubt saved my life that day) and Kidney Research (my daughter, our then 6th child was born with chronic kidney desease whilst I was recovering in the hospital from the accident, thankfully the same hospital and I was able to be there, al be it not a great deal of use to Mrs Bricey).

The advert is the only time I have ever made the national press:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3473353/Ebay-advert-cursed-Rolex.html

Local press (without the annoying "oh you're using an adblocker" routine from the Daily Mail:

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/people/ebay-auction-cambridgeshire-mans-cursed-rolex-almost-cost-him-his-life-benefit-charities-1260604

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Bricey said:

The advert is the only time I have ever made the national press:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3473353/Ebay-advert-cursed-Rolex.html

Wow - that is some watch story alright - and then some! 

58 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Am I alone in having a slight shiver when I see the term "Beater" regarding a watch?

I agree actually and I don't like the term either as I baby all my watches as much as I can - but this thread shows I have a sense of risk profiles! 

15 minutes ago, antjrice said:

Wow - that is some watch story alright - and then some! 

I agree actually and I don't like the term either as I baby all my watches as much as I can - but this thread shows I have a sense of risk profiles! 

Despite the story, as an accountant, I think it's safe for people to guess my "risk profile" :biggrin:

So i've let the madness of flimsy justification to acquire more watches kick in already.

I saw a Parnis GMT ending on eBay yesterday. No bidders as the seller was upfront that there was an issue as it was running far too fast. I thought that might be worth a punt for the demagnitiser. Auction won and the seller stuff it in the post straight away which arrived about an hour ago:

2021-04-08_04-48-40

This will look fine as i ride along a give me a flavour of what I would not wear on the bike in the form of my Tudor BB GMT (or a Rolex GMT M2 if I ever got one....). Also on a blue rubber deployant clasp strap which is perfect for the reason i bought it.

To the accuracy issues...After a good wind and sticking it on the timegrapher, the following was returned.

2021-04-08_04-35-26

Off the scale! I did a rough stopwatch test which showed an inaccuracy of a whopping 1.8s a minute or +2,592s/d (43 mins). The amplitute is also worryingly low suggesting we have a poorly movement here.

I put it on the demagnitiser for good number of runs to no effect. A repeat of the stopwatch test showed no change.

So in what was a first for me, i popped the back off (annoying is has a copy of a rolex back but I have a ball so no worries) and adjusted the regulator in order to lenghten the hair spring. Playing around with a few adjustments, I settled on this result:

2021-04-08_04-35-47

I'll take that as any further adjustment reduced the amplitude even further and the beat error has gone up. 

I can live with +5 mins as day as I won't be wearing it all day or every day. I am a little conserned that shaking the movement around on the bike will do it no favours whatsoever with the amplitude so low but lets see what happens.

So a pretty bargain has been had to satisfy the brief but there may be issues ahead. Woudn't be the worst outcome as i'd pick up a DG-3804 movement on eBay and continue my education swapping it out. 

3 minutes ago, antjrice said:

So i've let the madness of flimsy justification to acquire more watches kick in already.

I saw a Parnis GMT ending on eBay yesterday. No bidders as the seller was upfront that there was an issue as it was running far too fast. I thought that might be worth a punt for the demagnitiser. Auction won and the seller stuff it in the post straight away which arrived about an hour ago:

2021-04-08_04-48-40

This will look fine as i ride along a give me a flavour of what I would not wear on the bike in the form of my Tudor BB GMT (or a Rolex GMT M2 if I ever got one....). Also on a blue rubber deployant clasp strap which is perfect for the reason i bought it.

To the accuracy issues...After a good wind and sticking it on the timegrapher, the following was returned.

2021-04-08_04-35-26

Off the scale! I did a rough stopwatch test which showed an inaccuracy of a whopping 1.8s a minute or +2,592s/d (43 mins). The amplitute is also worryingly low suggesting we have a poorly movement here.

I put it on the demagnitiser for good number of runs to no effect. A repeat of the stopwatch test showed no change.

So in what was a first for me, i popped the back off (annoying is has a copy of a rolex back but I have a ball so no worries) and adjusted the regulator in order to lenghten the hair spring. Playing around with a few adjustments, I settled on this result:

2021-04-08_04-35-47

I'll take that as any further adjustment reduced the amplitude even further and the beat error has gone up. 

I can live with +5 mins as day as I won't be wearing it all day or every day. I am a little conserned that shaking the movement around on the bike will do it no favours whatsoever with the amplitude so low but lets see what happens.

So a pretty bargain has been had to satisfy the brief but there may be issues ahead. Woudn't be the worst outcome as i'd pick up a DG-3804 movement on eBay and continue my education swapping it out. 

Cool.

I have a timegrapher, a pressure tester and even a little ultrasonic bath, along with the usual little manual tools, but aside from swapping batteries and straps, I've never dared delve into anything technical yet for fear of causing irrevocable damage due to having no clue what I'm doing (I don't even know how to join the club of people that know nothing that I keep seeing in signatures!).

I must improve my knowledge and understandng, sit through some you tube video's and buy a couple of knackered spares/repairs to piddle about with.

I bought my G-Shock with cycling in mind, although I often have a Garmin on the handlebars with the time displayed on it. Now I wear any watch when out riding, mostly because I see riding as a means from getting from A to B and I still want to wear my watch when I get to the other end. I've had very few miles recently just for the sake of it. I think if I was planning a full day out on the bike then I'd probably wear the G-Shock again, but for the odd <10 miles pottering about it doesn't bother me.

Edited by Wowbagger

I just got into cycling again the other month with this beast:

defb34b874c74848b1db489ae0ed7be9.jpeg

Would love to wear a matching carbon fibre watch when using it but the chances of getting the watch damaged are not worth the risk.

I prefer to use the Apple Watch as it tracks the distance along with heart rate and calories burnt.

c9357d969b97c44ce83e5e017d2f8b2c.jpg

Wearing a G Shock would be fairly pointless as most of mine are worth considerably more than the Apple Watch. They’re not as feature rich either.

• Like 3