• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Teach me about G Shocks appeal?

You’ll love it. Really surprised me when the meal squares first came out. Now I have them in most of the colours and the Ti versions too
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OP: it depends on what model G Shock you are looking at. You have the entry, mid tier and then the higher end models and they all have something different to bring to the table. I’m fortunate enou

Some do , most don't. If you look harder you will see a variance of nuanced aesthetics which make the range one of the most fascinating out there. As mentioned the Octagon series last year sold in ast

Thanks, every teacher I've ever had suggested I should pay more attention! You are the third person on here that has an avatar of a character I have previously drawn (after Homer and Odie, per my

Posted Images

On 07/04/2021 at 23:30, Bricey said:

New member here, watch lover and I guess I prefer more traditional looking watches, I'm not even big on chrono's with extra dials.

But I have never understood the appeal of the G Shock watches. I understand they are rugged and so accept that they might be perfect for someone doing a triathlon, but to me (and my simple eye) they all just look like toy/novelty/kids watches.

I am sure that I am wrong or very much in the minority, the few people I know that collect watches all have a draw full of G Shocks irrespective of the value or quality of their collection, but I've never understood the appeal or the price.

I am willing to learn, I accept that a lot about watches is personal taste and so unlikely to suddenly change, but there must be points I am missing beyond "it gets muddy and still keeps ticking!"

I'm all ears....

A lot of wristwatch development has been about reliable and precise timekeeping in every adversity - water ingress (the first automatic wristwatch did away with the winding stem as it was a point of dirt and moisture ingress), shock (sprung bearings for the balance staff), temperature (bi-metallic and cut balances), and mud, of course (G-shock :laughing2dw:).

This is not strictly a G-shock, but it is the same idea (Casio 'tough solar pro-trek') - It gets muddy, wrecked, and keeps ticking - the primary appeal is the ruggedness.  Mine also has a tide graph feature, which is set to the tide times at Newhaven, where my dad was born, and an electronic compass.  I use it for hiking, and, erm, falling off my skateboard.  Radio controlled timekeepng is good too - it's basically a watch designed to always be right, however bad you are at skateboarding.  

No photo description available.

32 minutes ago, Richard734 said:

Bricey,

I have the white on Black - Like it a lot, but I am considering letting it go as the lack of a Seconds hand is killing me :)

DA7-F83-F2-6284-4675-A732-DB85-ED4-EB5-D

Oooh, I quite like that one. ^  Nice clearly readable hands, so right up my street :thumbsup:

They also do a clear plastic version, which also looks excellent, and I've got my eye on at the moment... :whistle:

1 hour ago, Richard734 said:

Bricey,

I have the white on Black - Like it a lot, but I am considering letting it go as the laclk of a Seconds hand is killing me :)

DA7-F83-F2-6284-4675-A732-DB85-ED4-EB5-D

I hadn't noticed the lack of a second hand, I think that might be a deal breaker for me (can't explain why, I had a Longines that had no second hand and it just annoyed me).

It does look kind of smart whilst still clearly being rugged, but the third hand needs to be there for me.

I have far more G Shocks than anyone could reasonably need, some are really useful and others have a face only a mother could love. ... I haven't worn this for absolutely ages as you tend to develop muscles like Popyeye in one arm, and you tend to get a few funny looks....  It's a statement piece though, I'm just not quite sure what it's saying. :biggrin:

51104746811_6142c2f50b_o.jpg

This one however is extremely practical, atomic and easy to read, and I use it a lot......

50872802413_753124f347_o.jpg

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, artistmike said:

I have far more G Shocks than anyone could reasonably need, some are really useful and others have a face only a mother could love. ... I haven't worn this for absolutely ages as you tend to develop muscles like Popyeye in one arm, and you tend to get a few funny looks....  It's a statement piece though, I'm just not quite sure what it's saying. :biggrin:

51104746811_6142c2f50b_o.jpg

This one however is extremely practical, atomic and easy to read, and I use it a lot......

50872802413_753124f347_o.jpg

I'm going to need to know the WR rating for the first one, because if I ever got into the sea in that its dragging me right to the very bottom! :laugh:

• Haha 1