• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Thursday 8th April display

10 minutes ago, trameline said:

Snowflake on new Strap

0E408016-801C-4709-B721-C2C9AAEB8EB3.jpeg

37C6AAD1-C560-46D5-8027-31907290644F.jpeg

A very attractive watch.

I've never been up close and personal with a Grand Seiko, could someone tell me (as a naive newbie) just how different in feel, finish, quality, it is to the kind of Seiko that I have had the pleasure of owning (this was my last one:

wmqP5J9.jpg

Is it like a completely different brand, or is it just a better version of a similar style (apologies for my ignorance!)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Bricey said:

could someone tell me just how different in feel, finish, quality, it [Grand Seiko] is to the kind of Seiko that I have had the pleasure of owning

I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable will be along in a moment, but my view, based on one GS (entry level) and two modern Seikos (plus one vintage) is they are completely different animals. I always find the GS a complete delight to wear.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roxyben said:

Seamaster for today's outing. 

2021-04-08_03-06-28

I hope to have my Seamaster (a much older version than yours) back with me tomorrow as its been away for a service for the past few weeks.

4sgTFC2.jpeg

nMrB1cm.jpeg

It is the longest serving member of my collection, I've had it about 15 years when it cost me just £350.

Its a 1977 birthyear watch and one I will never sell, my eldest boy might after I'm gone!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bricey said:

A very attractive watch.

I've never been up close and personal with a Grand Seiko, could someone tell me (as a naive newbie) just how different in feel, finish, quality, it is to the kind of Seiko that I have had the pleasure of owning (this was my last one:

wmqP5J9.jpg

Is it like a completely different brand, or is it just a better version of a similar style (apologies for my ignorance!)

I have a fair few Seikos of ranging quality and 1 Grand Seiko and it is like a  completely different brand (which it is).  The finishing is the best of all my watches and that includes Rolex with a higher RRP.

Here is mine:

49358397716_be5fe18975_h.jpg

If you can definitely go and check them out :thumbsup:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

ORIS  Big Crown Telemeter Chronograph, cal.674 (modified Valjoux cal.7750) 25 Jewels.

1911013387_ORIS-CHRONO-BW.thumb.gif.f7609358154fcc24d966e98ed773923d.gif

&

Buran, Poljot cal.3105 (modified 3133), 17 Jewels

2021315876_BuBURAN-BW.gif.876ef0884b2f7a8214dbcdaf00fb457e.gif

:biggrin:

What is the proper name for the bezel Edge on these?

I bought this Seiko Perpetual Calendar (8F32-5010) approx 2-3 years ago as a project (non runner, scratched mineral crystal, scratched case/bracelet) and last week I put a battery in it and set it up.

Yes the case/bracelet is still scratched, I would love to replace the crystal, but I can't find this mineral crystal for love nor money (any help locating one would be hugely appreciated:notworthy:)

A bonny 'little' watch that wears big. 

Have a great day guys!

IMG_20210409_101604833.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

As far as I know it`s called a coin edge but I`d be interested if there is another name :thumbsup: 

I thought so to, and would refer to it as such, but I recently saw this:

rolex-precision-gold-vintage-wristwatch-

And that makes more sense as coin edge.

I guess the above examples would be "coin edge bezels" in that they have the same coin edge markings, but on the bezel rather than the actual edge/side of the watch?

On 08/04/2021 at 16:57, Matthew999 said:

I have a fair few Seikos of ranging quality and 1 Grand Seiko and it is like a  completely different brand (which it is).  The finishing is the best of all my watches and that includes Rolex with a higher RRP.

Here is mine:

49358397716_be5fe18975_h.jpg

If you can definitely go and check them out :thumbsup:

That is a stunning watch .....

• Thanks 1