• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Sonnerie au passage from MeisterSinger - the "Bell Hora"

This could be fun. A single-hander that strikes the hour - very cool and medieval. And not that expensive at just under €3.5 k.

We've had a proliferation of releases from various brands over the past couple of days. This is definitely the most interesting for me! :D 

Downside is that it's 43mm. :(  A 40mm version would pique my interest.

(Image from Time and Watches)

Take your pick...

Time and Watches Review

Monochrome Review

Edited by AVO

I know these one handers can be popular, but i just cant get myself to like them, they look incomplete, if i had one a while i might get used to telling the time on it but trying to tell the time after a few pots might be difficult, one handers are something different and i get some people like that but personally im not enamoured.

31 minutes ago, sabailand said:

personally im not enamoured

I agree that they can be an acquired taste. I acquired it when I bought my lovely Metris last year in anticipation of retirement.  I bought it as a holiday watch since it has good WR but of course I haven’t had chance to use it in that context.  Can’t wait to take it to Greece or Cyprus! 

It was about 8.07 am, by the way.

EA76BA01-1F59-4EF3-892A-EF1A34E56D6D.thumb.jpeg.7a42cdaf23e2b371287233638610cd05.jpeg

Edited by AVO
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, sabailand said:

I know these one handers can be popular, but i just cant get myself to like them, they look incomplete, if i had one a while i might get used to telling the time on it but trying to tell the time after a few pots might be difficult, one handers are something different and i get some people like that but personally im not enamoured.

I had until recently, a slow Jo 24 hour single hand watch, it was fun at weekends for two reasons.

Firstly you only really got an approximate time, so you gave up worrying about being 5 minutes late (might not have been as much fun for anyone awaiting my arrival).

Two, you put it on in the morning a the hend is pointing at the 8, you have a full morning, get some lunch, do a bit early afternoon, glance at the watch at 2 and the hand has only moved 90 degrees, it gave the impression of time being really slow, counting a section of a day rather than just seconds, minutes and hours.

I'd recommend giving it a try once, maybe not a £3.5k try but the £100-200 that a slow watch would cost might be a plausible experiment.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Bricey said:

I had until recently, a slow Jo 24 hour single hand watch, it was fun at weekends for two reasons.

Firstly you only really got an approximate time, so you gave up worrying about being 5 minutes late (might not have been as much fun for anyone awaiting my arrival).

Two, you put it on in the morning a the hend is pointing at the 8, you have a full morning, get some lunch, do a bit early afternoon, glance at the watch at 2 and the hand has only moved 90 degrees, it gave the impression of time being really slow, counting a section of a day rather than just seconds, minutes and hours.

I'd recommend giving it a try once, maybe not a £3.5k try but the £100-200 that a slow watch would cost might be a plausible experiment.

This does look pretty smart in my opinion (mine was black) and is probably as likely to start a watch conversation when out in public (should that ever happen again) than a far more costly piece:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slow-Watch-Jo-02-Full-Set-With-SS-Bracelet/233854781664?hash=item3672d4c8e0:g:lukAAOSwUrJf-3iR

s-l1600.jpg

As I said, they can be fun, and certainly make how you appreciate and interact with the time of day slightly different.

(I should point out, that I have no idea who the seller of that one on EBay is and cannot vouch for them, it was just the first example that  found when having a quick look. The fact that they have photographed it upsdie down is probably not the greatest indication of their abilities).

On a tangent, I wonder how possible, with a single hander 24 hour watch like this, it would be to have a complication that allowed for two large quadrants to sit on top of the face that throughout the year move to highlight when the sun comes up and sets, so that you have a black portion (for the night time) and a white portion for when the sun is up (if not actually out).

Probably a stupid idea and a massively difficult task, but would be quite fun to have a day-night watch.

The day-night idea could also work on something like this...

LNG-683_x480@2x.jpg?v=1481619683

3 hours ago, Bricey said:

This does look pretty smart in my opinion (mine was black) and is probably as likely to start a watch conversation when out in public (should that ever happen again) than a far more costly piece:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slow-Watch-Jo-02-Full-Set-With-SS-Bracelet/233854781664?hash=item3672d4c8e0:g:lukAAOSwUrJf-3iR

s-l1600.jpg

As I said, they can be fun, and certainly make how you appreciate and interact with the time of day slightly different.

(I should point out, that I have no idea who the seller of that one on EBay is and cannot vouch for them, it was just the first example that  found when having a quick look. The fact that they have photographed it upsdie down is probably not the greatest indication of their abilities).

Not upside down, Slow watch have mid day at the top and midnight at the bottom. Note the crown is on the left. Bought the wife one of theirs a couple of Christmases ago as she wanted one for her sabbatical last year. Sabbatical started last Easter so turned out exact timekeeping was even less important than we expected.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Not upside down, Slow watch have mid day at the top and midnight at the bottom. Note the crown is on the left. Bought the wife one of theirs a couple of Christmases ago as she wanted one for her sabbatical last year. Sabbatical started last Easter so turned out exact timekeeping was even less important than we expected.

Doh! Your right, I'm going to have to dig out the pictures of mine, I'd have sworn it was midnight at the top.

Nope, I'm an idiot.

82wRKLT.jpg

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Bricey said:

Nope, I'm an idiot.

It's upside down.

I read a lot of complaints about "12" being at the top when these came out. The numbers are " radial" so just turn it round 180° and "0" is a t the top. There's no logo etc on the dial, and if you don't mind a lefty crown, then there's no problem .

large.61LRNcVsYdL._AC_UX569__kindlephoto-9741020.jpg.cb28c8c2a980ec2a905af0d60b18802f.jpg

5 hours ago, Bricey said:

Probably a stupid idea and a massively difficult task, but would be quite fun to have a day-night watch.

You could do it with some paint.:laughing2dw:

71IF9v9CcTL._AC_UL1382_.jpg

21 hours ago, WRENCH said:

It's upside down.

I read a lot of complaints about "12" being at the top when these came out. The numbers are " radial" so just turn it round 180° and "0" is a t the top. There's no logo etc on the dial, and if you don't mind a lefty crown, then there's no problem .

large.61LRNcVsYdL._AC_UX569__kindlephoto-9741020.jpg.cb28c8c2a980ec2a905af0d60b18802f.jpg

You could do it with some paint.:laughing2dw:

71IF9v9CcTL._AC_UL1382_.jpg

Not quite the technological masterpiece I was aiming at! :thumbs_up: