• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I have a Tudor Glamour, its very much the upper end of my little collection, and is a watch that I am very fond of. Without going 'full review' it is solid, a nice size, relatively slim on the wrist, has a fantastic bracelet and ticks many of the boxes I would have for any watch.

But that name....Glamour....makes it sound like a fashion magazine, I actually find myself shuddering a little when I mention (or in this case type) it out.

Am I just being daft (wouldn't be the first time I was accused of being so)?

And more importantly what What Names did/do you hate, despite liking the actual watch, or conversely, what names did you think sounded great, until you saw the watch and thought it was horrid???

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Delightful. I hope it's more accurate than the calculations used for the feet to metres conversion.

I'll see your hand love and raise you a..... yeah, you're reading that right!   Or maybe even....    

Doxa "Black Lung", because that's what killed one of my dearly loved relatives.  And "Festina". Sounds like something you'd catch after not being careful on holiday in Ibiza. 

I think there's lots in a name really, but at the end of the day they are just watches. 

I'm testing out an "Etienne" just now and its also a small watch that looks quite effeminate. I don't really care much about that and will wear it if it is regular and reliable. On the other side of the coin, I also just bought a "Starjet" simply because I liked the name.

If it troubles you, then pass it on and buy something else.

I dont like aquascaphe. Because where I am from a scaphe is a horrible tinky little individual. and scaphy bags are bin bags and the scaphy wagon is the bin lorry. 

So as much as I love the twin crown aquascaphe advert I was emailed today. I cant buy it because to me it says wet tink!

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Bricey said:

And more importantly what What Names did/do you hate,

Doxa "Black Lung", because that's what killed one of my dearly loved relatives. :(

And "Festina". Sounds like something you'd catch after not being careful on holiday in Ibiza. :doctor:

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Doxa "Black Lung", because that's what killed one of my dearly loved relatives. :(

To be fair, naming any comodity after a disease seems like a bad idea from the marketing department.

Sorry for your loss.

12 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

I think there's lots in a name really, but at the end of the day they are just watches. 

I'm testing out an "Etienne" just now and its also a small watch that looks quite effeminate. I don't really care much about that and will wear it if it is regular and reliable. On the other side of the coin, I also just bought a "Starjet" simply because I liked the name.

If it troubles you, then pass it on and buy something else.

Rocketman was on the radio whilst I read your reply with a starjet reference, must be a sign for me to look at the various moon watches!

Scurfa: sounds like scurvy

Oris: I can't see the name without an extra four letters at the start!

Glycine: looks like Glycerine

Halios: bad breath

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Dilly said:

I dont like aquascaphe. Because where I am from a scaphe is a horrible tinky little individual. and scaphy bags are bin bags and the scaphy wagon is the bin lorry. 

So as much as I love the twin crown aquascaphe advert I was emailed today. I cant buy it because to me it says wet tink!

I do very much like what Baltic are doing. I have the Aquascaphe and the Aquascaphe GMT and they are excellent watches. 

Their videos are excellent aswell - the best out there in modern watch advertsing for me.

Not too blown away by their new compressor news today though. Looks fine and it's at the cheaper end of their auto range but it looks too SKX like to turn my head.

22 minutes ago, AVO said:

Scurfa: sounds like scurvy

Oris: I can't see the name without an extra four letters at the start!

Glycine: looks like Glycerine

Halios: bad breath

thanks for that- what has been seen cannot be unseen ...

• Haha 1

I would struggle to have a watch with "Raymond" on the dial, as in Raymon Weil.

Apologies to anyone on this forum who might feel offended, there is nothing wrong with name, just not on a watch. Maurice is also a bit iffy too !!

7 minutes ago, AlwaysAlba said:

Raymond Weil? Bad 1930's German cabaret.

Revue Thommen? Bad 1930's French cabaret.*

Or vice-versa.

*Starring Maurice Chevalier??

34 minutes ago, AlwaysAlba said:

Apologies to anyone on this forum who might feel offended, there is nothing wrong with name, just not on a watch. Maurice is also a bit iffy too !!

:biggrin: I've had one Maurice and 2 Raymond's, they've all been lovely watches, but then being called Colin means I have a low bar for gents names!

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, Bricey said:

:biggrin: I've had one Maurice and 2 Raymond's, they've all been lovely watches, but then being called Colin means I have a low bar for gents names!

Colin is a great name. My dad is called Colin and he's alright.

18 minutes ago, al_kaholik said:

Is this a similar reason why Trevor became TVR?

@WRENCH speed racing with hand love? Best get something cooling on that. Upside, if it's an auto, at least it'll get plenty of winding...

I'll see your hand love and raise you a.....

WoodMe2.png

yeah, you're reading that right!

Or maybe even....

1041f368d6f4cf2779aea040a710113d

• Haha 3
6 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Zeppelin Hindenburg - I mean why would you do that ?

Maybe they were hoping it would get noticed online, then go viral and blow up?

• Like 1

Raymond Weil always make me think of Weil's disease

Parnis / penis

Junkers - couldn't wear a watch that dropped bombs on my nan

Croton - good added to soups

Arbutus - tick trees

Christopher Ward / Chr Ward - nice watches but the name puts me off

but the winner is

ALTANUS

Now who thought that was a good idea? :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, JoT said:

Raymond Weil always make me think of Weil's disease

Parnis / penis

Junkers - couldn't wear a watch that dropped bombs on my nan

Croton - good added to soups

Arbutus - tick trees

Christopher Ward / Chr Ward - nice watches but the name puts me off

but the winner is

ALTANUS

Now who thought that was a good idea? :laugh:

Altanus? Seriously (heads off to Google....)

6 minutes ago, kanab22 said:

Khaki which at best means a putrid colour and at worst sh@#$y. Love the watches but Hamilton put the name on almost all their Khaki dials. 

To be fair "Jazzmaster" has connotations as well, maybe someone at Hamilton has a warped sense of humour?

I have owned and enjoyed both a Khaki and a couple of lovely Jazzmasters in the past.

• Haha 1