• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Saturday 10 April WRUW?

3 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I am not wearing a watch today.

I am doing some electrical work in the house.

If I get things wrong I don't want to got to the morgue with a nice watch on which someone might take a fancy to.

Now....do I cut the red wire...or do I cut the black wire?

:rip_1:

Never cut the one that tastes of lemon, that’s live.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

But I like lemon...what colour wire tastes like lemon? 

:teethsmile:

I’ve always used a process of elimination, it’s the one that doesn’t taste of gin.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

If I get things wrong I don't want to got to the morgue with a nice watch on which someone might take a fancy to.

Red to red, black to black, blue to f***.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Surely, this is the perfect time to wear a g SHOCK!!!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bdalg1 said:

4ba36136b1b2d5088b078bff922cb73a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woohoo, my watch brother!

zqJy8Z5.jpg

5 hours ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Thanks mostly to Rolex obviously, but it's the only brushed ceramic bezel insert I've seen, love it. 

What diameter is it? I look a fool of I go above 40/41mm, but I really like the look of that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I was cutting my mothers grass one day and accidentally ran over the extension cable, I got some tools out of the shed to cut it down and fix it. At the same time I shouted in the window to my brother to unplug the extension from the socket in the hallway. 

He didn't bother and I went ahead and tried to take the socket off the end of the cable. 

A belt of 240v doesn't half get the old ticker going a bit. 

I've never touched electrics from that day to this. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

I was cutting my mothers grass one day and accidentally ran over the extension cable, I got some tools out of the shed to cut it down and fix it. At the same time I shouted in the window to my brother to unplug the extension from the socket in the hallway. 

He didn't bother and I went ahead and tried to take the socket off the end of the cable. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

I remember when my brother was about 10 and allowed to mow the lawn for the first time with the Black & Decker hover mower.

He was doing alright until he 'hovered' over the cable and it split.

I came into the kitchen for a glass of water, looked out of the window and saw him staring at the cable ends, and as soon as I thought it, he went and did it and put the two ends together.

Cue a small flash, puff of smoke and my brother hitting the deck. His fingers were singed but he was OK.

It wouldn't happen nowadays but this was the 1970/80s before trip switches were a thing :laugh:

• Haha 2

Was looking for something today and randomly found my little World Timer in a shoe box. I wondered where it had went. 

:huh:

As usual I blamed Big M

mde.jpg

2 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

I remember when my brother was about 10 and allowed to mow the lawn for the first time with the Black & Decker hover mower.

He was doing alright until he 'hovered' over the cable and it split.

I came into the kitchen for a glass of water, looked out of the window and saw him staring at the cable ends, and as soon as I thought it, he went and did it and put the two ends together.

Cue a small flash, puff of smoke and my brother hitting the deck. His fingers were singed but he was OK.

It wouldn't happen nowadays but this was the 1970/80s before trip switches were a thing :laugh:

Sounds right, pretty much the same here. 

Nearly 40 odd years later my brother still thinks my brush with death was funny. 

I don't speak to him much

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

I have had two near misses in my life with electrics, the first being very similar to your story. My first job after leaving school was working in a kitchen & bathroom showroom, the owner had sold an extractor from one of the displays and said he had switched off the power to the kitchen display. He had switched off the power to the wrong display and there was a huge flash as I cut through the cable for the extractor...it melted the Stanley knife blade, but the body of the knife was plastic so I was thankfully very lucky.

My second brush with electrics was checking the wiring on a double socket on a house a friend had bought, I did nothing more that remove the two screws for the face plate and the there was a huge flash. I did get electrocuted this time, my left thumb took the hit and it was burnt black, and had no feeling in it for about 3-4 months.

I don't like something that is invisible and can kill you, I am quite happy to do plumbing work as I am quite a good swimmer. :teethsmile: 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I have had two near misses in my life with electrics, the first being very similar to your story. My first job after leaving school was working in a kitchen & bathroom showroom, the owner had sold an extractor from one of the displays and said he had switched off the power to the kitchen display. He had switched off the power to the wrong display and there was a huge flash as I cut through the cable for the extractor...it melted the Stanley knife blade, but the body of the knife was plastic so I was thankfully very lucky.

My second brush with electrics was checking the wiring on a double socket on a house a friend had bought, I did nothing more that remove the two screws for the face plate and the there was a huge flash. I did get electrocuted this time, my left thumb took the hit and it was burnt black, and had no feeling in it for about 3-4 months.

I don't like something that is invisible and can kill you, I am quite happy to do plumbing work as I am quite a good swimmer. :teethsmile: 

I have had 240v when I was about 19, through my thumb as well - and more recently my immersion heater stopped working, and I was looking at the fuse box in the cupboard and the RCD was not tripped, and my dad was all for getting the tools out, he was most put out that I wouldn't unscrew things or tug things.  As it turns out (like many immersion heaters) there was another master switch hiding in the kitchen, but since I had never touched it to my knowledge -nor used the immersion heater in a month of Sundays since I have gas CH, the fact that it had somehow got turned off didn't cross my mind, and it is away behind the microwave too.   But, as they say, your next one could be your last.

1 hour ago, SolaVeritate said:

It's the most unusual one I've seen

It's my third - got my first from the Catalogue Bargain Shop 20 years ago, wore all the 'chrome' off the plastic nubby bits, but the crystal was sapphire and still good.  Found one with a better case but smashed crystal so bought that, cannibalised the best bits and ...   smashed my good crystal! (that I had removed from my worn case and put in the good one) when putting the back on - even with a proper press.  I am guessing the back was slightly oversized and that is how the guy broke the crystal on the scrap one I bought, too much pressure required to get the back on.  So I ended up putting an acrylic crystal on, that obviously wont shatter if it gets slightly deformed under pressure.  I also changed both movements for OEM modules and sold the worn one on eBay.

Aaaaand fast forward another two years, I decided to sell my 'good' one, thought I would see what they were going for, and found this one in great condition, but dead because the guy was scared to change the battery (wonder why?!).  So I bought this with its sapphire crystal, put mine on the bay, and this did fire up with a new battery.

I put the back in the freezer first to shrink it by a thou, and put the watch on a cloth on the worktop and pressed it home with my thumbs with all my weight on them (well, I didn't actually do a handstand on my thumbs, but I was lifting myself off the ground lol).  Anyway, relief when the back clicked into place (some silicone grease prolly helped) and the watch is fine, and my thumbs will recover. 

70th anniversary edition I think.

• Like 2